iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powermatic 225

Started by tacks Y, January 24, 2021, 12:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

Started looking for a new to me planer (used 24"). I see some 225s and some are direct drive (no belts). Are these newer than the dark green? I called on a light green one but sold today. So what is the difference between light green, dark green, and gold models. I am thinking that is the age progression, but are there other changes as well?  Thanks Tom

dougtrr2

I think the progression is light green, dark green, dark green with racing stripe, gold.  I think the some of the gold machines are Taiwan, not US.  There is a ton of information over at owwm.org I don't recall if there is a specific thread focused on just the color progression.

I was wanting to upgrade my 12" Parks to a 16" or 18" Powermatic, but ran across a nice 18" Oliver.

Doug in SW IA

woodworker9

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

tacks Y

Thanks Guys.

The reeves drive is the adj feed drive?
The bottom rollers are power driven on all 225s?

tacks Y

Has any one put a spiral head on a 225 direct drive?

woodworker9

tacks Y

Yes, I know the feed rolls are on top. I was told they run power to the table rolls also. Yes or No?

woodworker9

Dan_Shade

I thought the bottom rollers were to help plane rough lumber.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodworker9

tacks Y

So, here's the thing guys. I am looking at a Oliver 299-D and a Powermatic 225, both 5 hours away. Both are claiming power to bottom rolls ALSO, not just top feed rolls. So I found this after I posted the question and appears to show power to table rolls on a 225.

So are any of you using a 225 and are they all powered bottom rolls? About time for me to get off the pot and go look at one. I have a 24" Rockwell and I want a segmented feed roll also.

woodworker9

clay3

I have had a powermatic 225 for about 20 years now, it is  dark green, I don't know the year but if it helps i will look up the serial number and see.  My understanding is that was the color till they changed to gold in the mid 1980's. It has power to  the bed rollers, and segmented top infeed roller. These bed rollers help with rough lumber. Mine has the knife sharpener, after about every other sharpening I adjust the pressure shoe and plane snipe free. If I were going to look at one I would ask what type of head is on it if it has a quiet cut head that is 9 rows of blades 4 knives per row and a lot of work sharpening, about 4 hours with the knife sharpener, I would not do it without. A 4 knife head with the sharpener would be good. A byrd head is about $3500 for this planer. Mine is direct drive and I prefer it over belts.     

tacks Y

Woodworker9, I was not trying to be critical of your advice/comments and hope you did not take it that way. I am thankful for any input.

clay3, I have talked to someone selling a dark green model. Not sure the difference from the light green. I have not seen a 24" with a quiet head yet.

The 225 owner I am talking to is an older gentleman unlike me in my 60s. So I am trying to confirm things.

Thanks for all comments.

JRWoodchuck

Ive been in the market for a 225 or a 299 for about 12 months now I'm in the pacific north west. I've seen them anywhere from $2000-$5500. Luckily I'm not in a hurry.  Where are you at and what do prices look like where you are? If you don't mind sharing. Thanks!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

tacks Y

JR, Saw a 225 for 2400, was sold before I saw it. Plenty at the 4k and more price. Was going to look at a 299 for 6.5k but the drive roll after the head was bent. It had the ITCH head and sharpener. The bent shaft was a problem with the later 70s models I was told. Picked up a 225 over the week end with a trailer, phase converter, blower and sharpener for 5k. Watch auctions for a better deal. Good luck.

JRWoodchuck

The 299 was the one I saw for $2000. It had the grinder and sharpening bar but was about 8 hours from me right after a big snow storm. Otherwise I would have gotten it. Thanks for the response. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

tacks Y

That seems cheap for a 299 now days, If I saw one for that it would be in my shop. If you see one and get a ser # call Eagle Mach. he was great to talk to. Looked up the # and told me what to look for. He has a 299 straight knife to sell wants 3200. Starting to clean up the 225 what a machine, plan to replace the chains and run.

clay3

I have been watching a 299t locally (5 miles away). It was purchased at a navy auction by the seller, and looks to be in really good shape. He was asking $6,000 now $4,000, itch head and sharpener. Original purchase order shows the navy paid $17,850 for it in 1991. I don't need it but .   

tacks Y

Quote from: clay3 on February 02, 2021, 12:10:13 PM
I have been watching a 299t locally (5 miles away). It was purchased at a navy auction by the seller, and looks to be in really good shape. He was asking $6,000 now $4,000, itch head and sharpener. Original purchase order shows the navy paid $17,850 for it in 1991. I don't need it but .  
Clay3, I think that may have come from over seas. Not saying that is bad, but the gear box was the weak link on that machine. Does it have a box covering motor that is belt driven? If I saw it last week near me I would have been looking at it for 4k w/itch.  I think t is Tiawian.

tacks Y

Quote from: tacks Y on February 02, 2021, 08:13:27 AM
That seems cheap for a 299 now days, If I saw one for that it would be in my shop. If you see one and get a ser # call Eagle Mach. he was great to talk to. Looked up the # and told me what to look for. He has a 299 straight knife to sell wants 3200. Starting to clean up the 225 what a machine, plan to replace the chains and run.

After looking at the chains they are not bad and there is an adjustment. Previous owner did not know how to I guess.

clay3

I'm not so familiar with the olivers, the head is direct drive but it looks like you are right about the feed. I didn't know any of them were imported at that time.

tacks Y

Call Eagle machine and talk to Rich. Everything I know about the 299 came from him, easy to talk to. I really wanted to try the itch head, he claimed it would still pull some grain and they made the head for noise reduction. I think he said 80s they went overseas, and when they came in they had to go over the whole machine. The gear box is for the drive and not sure if just a 90 degree box or what he said they are not up to the task and he has replacements. All said I would go and see it. I am great at helping spend money. Its a gift.

Thank You Sponsors!