The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: i made a cookie cutter  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
Re: i made a cookie cutter
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »
I've never been able to air dry a cookie without it breaking in two or opening up an inch or more at one point.  Any secrets to keeping them together till dry?

Lj

Cedar like that has the best chance of drying intact. The wood has low shrinkage and the ingrown bark acts as stress relief openings. Other species are almost impossible to get dry in one piece. The uneven shrinkage just tears them apart no matter what you do.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
I soaked a bunch of red oak cookies in pentacryl and then started drying them out slowly. I would let you guys know how they are doing, but they all got sold to use as wedding center pieces and a cake holder. I will try cookies again soon and maybe this time I will keep at least one of them to see how it reacts...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Offline yukon cornelius

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 10:31:27 PM »
I have done some red oak the same way and had great success also. I made a set of 2 inch thick cookie barstools before I knew the risk. they are still intact. I have a pretty good stack of cookies and so far all intact without cracks. I don't know whats working but im going to keep it up.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
Dry Cedar like that usually will not crack.  I see that your blade oscillation is still there, or was. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 10:41:26 PM »
Hackberry, I can't believe I'm the only one coerced into making a cupcake holder for a wedding.  Made one for my daughter from fresh cut cherry cookies and a really nice, dry mutlibranch SYP tree top with several up-pointing branches.  Looked great...for about two days, then the cookies started splitting.  Oh, well, she used it anyway and married a solid man, Army National Guard and one of those rare individuals with the gumption to try anything that might work for good and the skill and training to usually pull it off.  Love working with him- things get done!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline yukon cornelius

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 10:45:40 PM »
yes that is the oscillation for sure. its different than what the other blade was leaving. the first blade left a pattern flat-ridge-flat-ridge. this time I believe the feed rate was the key. it was a total mouthful rubbing bot blade guides but we didn't want to trim unless we just couldn't get it through. as the cookies got smaller they ere less but still there. the timber wolfs never did that. I have a bit of one log left and a t wolf not fully dull. I may trade out and see if it goes away. im still so new I still don't know what causes some of these things but thanks to you guys im learning!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »
I see that same pattern occasionally, but I have never taken any time trying to track down the cause.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 12:37:53 AM »
On the production bandmills we ran three guides (flat brake shoe material) One on the back side of the blade to take out vibration in the saw. WM uses an allen screw with a nut to lock it in place on the top side of the sawhead in the center. To adjust tention up the saw bring the allen bolt down to the saw and back off half a turn. You don't want it rubbing the saw all the time just a vibration dampener. I set mine today while adding a new ground wire and giving the mill a much needed grease and oil bath. noticed the same vibration marks while milling Myrtle wood this week, was also cutting thru a dog cable twice with each pass, and make about three passes each saw, three saws to brake down one log.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
Speaking of cupcake holders. I built this one for a friend of mine over a year ago. He didn't want it after the wedding was over so we use it to keep movies on and whatnot. The wifes cat thinks it's his.

It has developed a crack on each level, but they are fairly small and it is staying together. Thats just character!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
Of course the cat thinks it's his- he thinks the whole house and everything around it is his and you all just live there with his permission- at least as long as you keep the food coming...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 06:36:56 PM »
Good idea on the cookie cutter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »
You fellas that whoop up a batch of cookies  how much hook do you have on your bands. Cookies are cross cutting and should be best with four degree hook or less. I would think 10 degrees would tend to grab. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »
I just used a normal band. My sharpener is set to somewhere around 8 degrees most of the time.

Offline yukon cornelius

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
the last blades I bought were 4 degree wm blades. I cut cookies with whatever blade is on the mill at the time.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
cookie cutter

Started by treechopper40 on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2014, 08:55:11 PM
by AdkStihl
xx
Cookie cutter sled

Started by Downstream on General Woodworking

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2017, 11:33:55 PM
by Downstream