iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you store hardwood lumber?

Started by Norm, November 24, 2011, 09:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

On another thread about inventory I asked Danny how he stores his lumber he sells. For me it's a hodge podge of everything and a real pain to work with not to mention customers trying to find that perfect board.

How's everyone doing theirs and if you have pictures that would really help.

T Welsh

Norm, I keep the log that is sawn together and sticker it and band it and stack it outside with a piece of tin roof over top for a year or two, then it goes inside under a machine shed in stacks as high as I can get them with out falling over :D.I dont sell,I hoard. Tim

DR_Buck

I have two 20ft insulated sea containers that I keep my kiln dried lumber in.  I keep a dehumidifier in each one so MC will stay down.   The longer stuff is stacked flat and you have to dig through piles looking for the perfect board.  I have one stacking shelf built so the stacks are smaller, but still goes to the top of the container.   Short stuff (7 ft and less) is stood up along the wall.  It's easier to dig through that way.

Large slabs lean against the walls also.   

Maybe will post picts later.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

scsmith42

Norm, I sell a specific product - quartersawn oak - and my market is furniture customers and craftspeople.  Inventory is divided into two categories - bulk storage and working inventory. 

After removing my lumber from the kiln, everything is skip planed to reveal the figure.  Coming off of the jointer/planer we sort and grade the lumber, and stack it into the apropriate bulk storage shelves on pallet racks.

My working inventory is stored vertically in racks, which allows me (or customers) to easily view each board for figure, and either pull it or slip it back into the rack and move on to the next one.  When customers pull their own boards they are asked to replace the boards that they don't purchase back in the racks.

It's a little extra work on the front end, but it makes it easy for customers to view the boards and for me to manage inventory.  Plus, an internet or call-in customer can describe what they want, I can easily pull and photo it and e-mail the pix before completing the order.

We refill the vertical racks from bulk inventory as needed.  Large orders can be pulled directly from bulk inventory too.

Here is a view of the end of one of the racks.

It's easy to pull each board from the rack to quickly view the figure:

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Nice rack of lumber, gives me goose bumps.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

Scott,makes me want to run everything I have through the planer and stop hoarding and start selling :D Nice layout. Tim

mikeb1079

i've been stacking and stickering horizontally for maybe 6 months to a year and then stacking vertically under a lean to i made out back of the music studio.  i've been just leaning em all the same way but i like scott's idea with the slightly angled back rack so that you can utilize both sides.  i'll probably borrow that idea.
8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

DR_Buck

I like those vertical racks as well.   If I was to do that I'd be limited to maximum 7 ft boards because of the sea container height inside.

Here is my unorganized collection.

Container #1

Container #2

Note the large slabs from the rare "plywood tree" locate din the center of this next photo.   ;)

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

woodmills1

I find I can only sell green to the few customers that can use it.  I like my wood to be used and always ask the customer what he is doing with it

the he here is the human person..... leaving out no non male or other customers  as in all my trucks are she and all my customers are he  (not really) disclamer to follow

look back to  majikmans comment

customers pay us, they need to be at least satisfied, and even better happy

green wood is hard to sell, but I only sell it to customers who know they can use it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Norm

Thanks for the pictures guys, very helpful.  :)

WDH

Norm,

I have four storage methods  :).  Everything is air dried and stored under a shed roof.

Method #1 - Sub-compartmentalized racks.  This is a pretty good approach for keeping small quantities (less than 1000 BF) separate and easier to get at and sort thru.  This is the "cubbyhole" approach.  These racks hold a lot of wood if full.  They could be sub-divided even further.

Method #2 - Vertical Racks.  Not nearly as organized and elegant as Scott's method.  To maximize space, the boards are in ranks instead of in a single book-leaf layer like Scotts approach.  Still, it is amazingly easy for a person to "leaf" through a rank in the rack.

Method #3 - The Gi-normus Flat Stack.  No compartments or cubbyholes.  No racks.  Just a big whack of a flat stack.  Efficient for storage, but not functional if a customer wants a special board (say an exact width) and it is located halfway down the stack  :-X.

Method #4 - Stacked-Willy-Nilly-Anywhere-on-Side-of-Barn.  The potpourri stack   ;D.  It just ends up stacked here to get it out of the way, and it ends up in somewhat permanent residence. 

All you need is an enormous amount of space and any method will work  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I thought that I saw Dodgy Loner's fingerprints on some of that lumber.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

That's a nice inventory of lumber there.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

YellowHammer

Very useful info.  Does anybody have racks that allow them stack and remove the wood with a forklift from the side?  I've been looking at buying steel racks like they use at the home improvement stores to stack and separate 2x4's, 2x6's etc but they are expensive!  Does anybody have an alternative?
Thanks
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ironwood

I have everything palletized, but then I dont do much small sales. Too much of a pain. I try to keep it large/medium volume sales. No tractor trailer loads, but whole boules or close to it, to mostly professional woodshops. Lots of reclaimed, as well. Palletized sticked, banded. Good system for me but not for most. AND you gotta have a "spare" forklift (or two) if you run older units :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!