iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preparing the mill for cold weather sawing

Started by DGK, December 01, 2016, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

For the gloves like andries showed. go to your local army surplus store.  That is where I find them.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ladylake

Trapper

Are you sure you have that name right, I type it in and nothing comes up. I did buy some army surplus mittens from Mills Fleet which are really warm.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WLC

Quote from: larrydown60 on December 11, 2016, 05:05:28 AM
I don't know if this will help anyone , but I use this blue hydraulic oil for my snow plow and never had it freeze up and at below O temps it slows down very little can get at Napa and I have seen these little heaters that are twelve volt and they heat the oil  with a little modification I am sure you could get this to work. Hope this helps 

I use that same fluid.  Good stuff.  I learned the hard way to change out the old fluid every fall before it gets cold. One of those "grits eater" moves to the frozen north and has to learn everything the hard way type of things :D. I like the idea of a heater.  I may have to look into that.  If its real cold the plow moves pretty slow till the fluid warms up a bit.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

scouter Joe

Those 1 finger gloves are called linemans gloves in this part of the country and yes they are about the best you can do for the cold and still do some work .scouter Joe

DGK

I tried a new way of preheating the engine and head on my LT40 in -25C weather today and it worked great. A very simple solution. I bought a 50,000 btu combustion heater, the type that you would use to heat a small shop or construction site. I added a 90 degree elbow and then a short section of straight pipe. The heater is positioned under the mill head at the end of the mill with the head cover in place. After about an hour, the entire head assembly was warm to the touch, free of ice & snow and dry. The engine and all accessories started without hesitation. The funny thing is that the Kohler G28 engine doesn't want to idle properly in these very cold temperatures and has a slight surge with the blade engaged. I am thinking that the fuel filter may need replacing. The fuel tank vent is clear as well as the air filter. Anyone else ever have idle issues with their fuel injected G28 in cold weather?
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

trapper

Army surplus store is generic.  most cities have them.  Fond du lac where I live has 2.  Most are family owned.  Item # wx2-625517 at sportsman guide is what I am talking about.  I also have the wool liners that go with them.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DGK

Quote from: DGK on December 11, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
I tried a new way of preheating the engine and head on my LT40 in -25C weather today and it worked great. A very simple solution. I bought a 50,000 btu combustion heater, the type that you would use to heat a small shop or construction site. I added a 90 degree elbow and then a short section of straight pipe. The heater is positioned under the mill head at the end of the mill with the head cover in place. After about an hour, the entire head assembly was warm to the touch, free of ice & snow and dry. The engine and all accessories started without hesitation. The funny thing is that the Kohler G28 engine doesn't want to idle properly in these very cold temperatures and has a slight surge with the blade engaged. I am thinking that the fuel filter may need replacing. The fuel tank vent is clear as well as the air filter. Anyone else ever have idle issues with their fuel injected G28 in cold weather?

I managed to troubleshoot the rough idle and engine surge issue today. It was a simple replacement of the first fuel filter that runs from the fuel tank. After a short preheat of 45 min with the new heater, the engine fired up easily and ran smoothly at a cool -30C. No saw milling today, I will wait for it to warm up to -20C. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

fishfighter

DanG 72F here this morning and going up to 82F by afternoon. Of course, rain. >:(

Y'all northern guys, take care with that cold weather coming.

reswire

Just wondering if any "northern sawyers" have heated mill sheds?  When it gets below 30 degrees, I plug in my kerosene heater.  Been planning on installing a wood burning, barrel stove for some time, but haven't built the darn thing yet..... ;D ;D   I lived in Oscoda Michigan during the 70's,,,, that kinda broke me of my desire to move north.  Think I'll stick below the Mason/Dixon line for a while longer.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

WLC

Do any of our "frozen sawyers" use any type of fuel de-icer in the fuel tank?  My LT28(19hp gas motor) ran fine one day then about three or four days later when I had time to go back out and saw some more it ran really rough and didn't want to rev up when I engaged the blade.  Called my local dealer and he said it sounded like the carb icing up or water (condensation) in the tank.  It was about 10-15°F the day it happened and the coldest day that I've used the mill.  Today it was warmer than we've had in two weeks or more with high temps around 20°.  I went out and poured some heet (fuel treatment) in the tank and agitated it for a while.  Cranked the mill and let it run for a while then cut a cant I had up on the bed.  It ran better, but still not "normal".  Just curious if others have or have had this problem
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

thechknhwk

I sawed 1200bf of lumber last sunday during a snow storm that netted over 8" of snow 50 miles from home.  That will never happen again, what a flippin mess after driving home.  I had to wait for the roads to get cleared after I got home so when I went to the power washer the mill wouldn't be covered in crap again by the time I got home.  I burned up $5 trying to wash it off, but the water wasn't really warm enough to do the trick, so now it's melting off in my wood shop that doesn't have a floor drain, lovely.... :-\   The customer's father in law made a wonderful chilli for lunch, and it was all sawed up for local school district and there were a couple of students there helping, but while we ate the felt track wiper froze to the rail and was ripped clean out.  Then on the last 2 logs I sawed when I got to the end of the dog board the blade rose up in the cut over an inch and came clean out of the board above it.  I'm attributing it to frozen sawdust somewhere.  Anyways, never again....! :D

DGK

Quote from: WLC on December 15, 2016, 09:14:17 PM
Do any of our "frozen sawyers" use any type of fuel de-icer in the fuel tank?  My LT28(19hp gas motor) ran fine one day then about three or four days later when I had time to go back out and saw some more it ran really rough and didn't want to rev up when I engaged the blade.  Called my local dealer and he said it sounded like the carb icing up or water (condensation) in the tank.  It was about 10-15°F the day it happened and the coldest day that I've used the mill.  Today it was warmer than we've had in two weeks or more with high temps around 20°.  I went out and poured some heet (fuel treatment) in the tank and agitated it for a while.  Cranked the mill and let it run for a while then cut a cant I had up on the bed.  It ran better, but still not "normal".  Just curious if others have or have had this problem

I had to replace my fuel filter that is closest to the fuel tank last week. It was quite dirty. I hadn't had any issues in the warmer weather so maybe it was moisture. My engine is fuel injected so no issues with carb ice. I do not use any fuel treatments.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

Brucer

In really cold weather, a carb can ice up even when there's no water in the fuel. As the gasoline evaporates, it draws heat from the surrounding air as well as the carburetor jets. This cools the air and condenses any water vapour still in the air. The resulting water then freezes in the carb.

My fuel-injected Kohler does just fine in extremely cold weather. I always add a fuel conditioner in the off-season when I expect to be shut down for a few months. Other than that, I just put in the gas and let 'er run.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Brucer

So tomorrow I have to move the mill. It's supposed to be -18°C (0°F) overnight and in the morning, possibly warming up to -14°C (7°F) by early afternoon. I expect the tires will be thumping all the way through town :(.

The good news is, the mill won't see any "action" until the new year, when it is supposed to be quite a bit warmer.

I got the mill hooked up and ready to go today, when it was only -10°C (you do the math ;D).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Sheepkeeper

Not really preparing the mill but here is a little unit I put together to help prepare the sawyer for cold weather sawing.

Having warm/dry gloves keeps this sawyer's fingers happy. Happy fingers=happy sawyer.  :D
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Andries

Do any of our "frozen sawyers" use any type of fuel de-icer in the fuel tank?  My LT28(19hp gas motor) ran fine one day then about three or four days later when I had time to go back out and saw some more it ran really rough and didn't want to rev up when I engaged the blade. . . . poured some heet (fuel treatment) in the tank and agitated it for a while.  Cranked the mill and let it run for a while then cut a cant I had up on the bed.  It ran better, but still not "normal". . .
Water in the gasoline may be the problem there.
When the weather bounces between fall time warm and winter cold, condensation produces water in the system.
My mill is usually fed the expensive alcohol free gas, but a full tank of of cheap ethanol/alcohol gas will get rid of all the water.
Seems to prevent carb throat icing up too, but I'm not sure why.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

AlaskaLes

Quote from: dustintheblood on December 02, 2016, 09:30:10 AM
Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2016, 08:22:09 AM
Wow Doug, my mind can not even imagine the ordinary things that you do to keep everything working at your temperatures, much less when it gets really cold.  I have sawed when the temperature was below freezing very few times. 

My admiration to you sir.   smiley_thumbsup

And Magicman, as another Canadian who loves the frigid cold when sawing at around +5F, I have to admit that I have no idea how you all deal with that heat down there.   I can add layers when I'm cold, but can only take off so many when it's hot before I risk being arrested for indecent exposure   :D :D :D :D

Now there's a comment I can agree with!!
That is my standard reply to the questions we get regarding working and living with the cold.
I am just not a happy worker when I have to be anywhere above about 88F.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Magicman

The answer for too hot is the same as for too cold.  You just gotta know how to do it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on December 19, 2016, 05:44:25 PM
The answer for too hot is the same as for too cold.  You just gotta know how to do it.   ;D

Agree 100%. But, it hard to move when one is wearing every coat they own. ;D

paul case

People who dont own a coat do that all the time?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Sometime it is simpler to just say "no" or "later".  I asked a couple of customers last July if they really wanted to get out in that 95°+ heat and they decided to postpone.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WLC

Quote from: Andries on December 19, 2016, 11:33:39 AM
Do any of our "frozen sawyers" use any type of fuel de-icer in the fuel tank?  My LT28(19hp gas motor) ran fine one day then about three or four days later when I had time to go back out and saw some more it ran really rough and didn't want to rev up when I engaged the blade. . . . poured some heet (fuel treatment) in the tank and agitated it for a while.  Cranked the mill and let it run for a while then cut a cant I had up on the bed.  It ran better, but still not "normal". . .
Water in the gasoline may be the problem there.
When the weather bounces between fall time warm and winter cold, condensation produces water in the system.
My mill is usually fed the expensive alcohol free gas, but a full tank of of cheap ethanol/alcohol gas will get rid of all the water.
Seems to prevent carb throat icing up too, but I'm not sure why.

I'm wondering if that is not my problem. I did put some "heet" fuel conditioner in it the other day.  Heet is mostly alcohol.  Supposed to be in the 20's here tomorrow.  I might get out and saw a little to see if it runs better after the fuel additive.  It did run some better the day I first put it in, but I only sawed a few minutes to finish a cant I had to leave on the bed when it started acting up.   
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

fishfighter

Well, it's 27F here and was planning on sawing more today. Bad thing, I didn't drain my water tank. I'm sure the tubing will freeze. Good thing is that it will get in the mid to upper  50's today.

Thank You Sponsors!