iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2021 Annual Forestry Forum Pigroast

Started by Jeff, March 09, 2021, 11:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumpnz

My oldest is thinking about Hillsdale College.  She's still got another year of high school though.  Occasionally I get business trips to Detroit/Troy.  If either of those factors have me in the area when you do this in some future year I'll come out.  Otherwise it's about 2400 miles (each way) to drive.  I'm sure the pig is tasty and the company excellent, but that's a long way to go.

jmouton

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Ken
Lowell, Michigan

stanwelch

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Crusarius

so happy to see this thread. I am so sick of this paranoid freakout lock down the world cr*..

Just for you guys thinking about going through the border crossings. DON'T!!!! last time I tried for the last pigroast it added about 4.5 hours to the trip sitting in the stupid lines to get through. I made better time taking the low road and missing my turn and going even lower than I did going through canada. 

That was also posted in the "I did something dumb today" thread. Thats how bad it was :)

DbltreeBelgians

Stephen1

Cathy and I would like to come, if the border opens up. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

scsmith42

Quote from: sumpnz on March 10, 2021, 07:38:22 PM
My oldest is thinking about Hillsdale College.  She's still got another year of high school though.  Occasionally I get business trips to Detroit/Troy.  If either of those factors have me in the area when you do this in some future year I'll come out.  Otherwise it's about 2400 miles (each way) to drive.  I'm sure the pig is tasty and the company excellent, but that's a long way to go.
Hillsdale College would be an outstanding choice of school.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: scsmith42 on March 15, 2021, 08:35:10 AM
They have held the presidential debates there

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 15, 2021, 02:08:56 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on March 15, 2021, 08:35:10 AM
They have held the presidential debates there
I can't remember but it might have been a CNN watch party

Old Greenhorn

Just very early planning her: Can anybody recommend a place close to Jeff that might have small cabins or such like? Second choice is an older motel type where everybody has their own front door. The wife and I travel with our own coffee pot, get up, make coffee early and sit and read or relax for an hour or so. Old and set in our ways. I Want to make her as comfy as possible. Also, we both still smoke, so going outside3 and away from folks to do that is important.
 Re-looked at the routes and she wanted to see Niagara falls one more time. Her family hails from Buffalo and she wanted one more drive by. Taking that route around the bottom of the lake shore adds like 3 minutes to the driving time predicted. We are due east of the lakes, so taking 90 west verses 80 west is of little difference that I can see.
 All advice cheerfully accepted. It's been decades since I have driven an interstate visit or anything over 9 hours. Gotta get my head in this game in case I can close the deal. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bullett442

Are newbies welcome?  I'm new to the forum and just picked up my first mill last week.  Luckily I'm only a couple hours drive away too!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

firefighter ontheside

@Jeff how about the fishing around there.  I'd really like to do some wading for trout in small streams.  Anything like that around there.  I use spinning gear and not fly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

What about that Spike Horn Creek I see not too far away? At least MI has a very nice $10/day non-resident license. I may even throw my rod in the truck assuming I can pull this together.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Jeff

You can not be over 5 miles from a lake creek or stream here. Our town motto is "20 lakes in 20 minutes"  there are trout streams all over. I'm not really a trout fisherman, as I don't like to eat them, but plenty of people are. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

I did find this site. I thought MI was all Walleyes and Pickerel/Pike? (Which is very fun fishing also!)

Old Greenhorn

I think my wife is on board and I found a place that should make her happy, but they want a NON-Refundable 50% deposit. I called and they have no exception if things get shut down. I was hoping to find a place where we could get a cabin that also has campsites, but I drew a blank. Any suggestions? Doc and I would like to stay at the same place. He has a trailer, and we do not.
 Any suggestions folks?

Bruno of NH

I will have to wait till I build a overland van or truck camper.
That will be a year or 2 .
I would really like to attend. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Jeff.  I do not like to eat trout either, but they are one of my favorite to catch.  My favorites for eating are walleye and northerns.  

@Old Greenhorn and @doc henderson I will likely be bringing the 5th wheel and will need a camping spot too.  Let me know what you find and I will do the same.  I will likely be coming in several days before the pig shindig so I can do some fishing.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 16, 2021, 06:24:54 PM
Thanks Jeff.  I do not like to eat trout either, but they are one of my favorite to catch.  My favorites for eating are walleye and northerns.  

@Old Greenhorn and @doc henderson I will likely be bringing the 5th wheel and will need a camping spot too.  Let me know what you find and I will do the same.  I will likely be coming in several days before the pig shindig so I can do some fishing.
Spent the afternoon cruising around looking at what's available that had camping and rental cabins or trailers. Only found one and that has has the no-refund deposit.
 Looks like we will have to pick something that is close to where others are camped. If youse guyz have any suggestions, I am all ears. I just looked into RV rentals (wife's idea) but that is cost prohibitive for us. It seems like at least the wife has wrapped her brain around this and is engaged. 8)

doc henderson

very excited to put faces and voices with all my friends.  that seems to be what the pig roast is all about.!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Me too Doc.  I'm looking forward to meeting you all.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

olcowhand

Quote from: doc henderson on March 16, 2021, 06:45:50 PM
very excited to put faces and voices with all my friends.  that seems to be what the pig roast is all about.!
Me too, Doc.
Except me; I'll keep my mask on, because everyone tells me I'm 65%-70% better looking with my mask on!
And as for fishing, there are many options for lake and stream fishing anywhere you go. The lake in Jeff's town is well known for Walleye and Musky (my dad and I would hit that lake quite frequently and have landed many Musky there...). Trout streams abound, and if I can arrange it, maybe a few of us can hit the big lake for Chinook. The state of Michigan website has the 2022 2021 regs out on their website, and it details the streams that different types of bait can be used on.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Tacotodd

Quote from: Bullett442 on March 16, 2021, 12:43:21 PM
Are newbies welcome?  I'm new to the forum and just picked up my first mill last week.  Luckily I'm only a couple hours drive away too!

This will be my first time as well. Everyone seems, that I have electronically "talked to", to be really keen on having me come up to see n visit with everybody. I don't believe that anyone is going to have a cow about it (pig maybe 🤔). it just seems that the only thing to remember IS, this is not OUR house, it's @Jeff and the rest of the admins. I'm a newcomer, and this is going to be the first time that "I've" had the right opportunity in my life to go. That being said, I am SO looking forward to being there and meeting everyone that attends.

I still looking forward to having some respectful fun exchanging quips with @doc henderson say_what
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!