iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Needs New Engine

Started by firefighter ontheside, December 18, 2020, 01:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

Put the push handle back on, it is only two bolts and maybe I will need it some day? Also have a tendency to lose stuff in a pile somewhere... You are really going to like the power feed, it is a game changer. But now that the game has changed am scheming up a pineywoods turner and clamp, yellowhammer linked back stops, trailer frame, the snowball is getting pretty big  ;D

Teaching wife to run mill so I can be doing other things (cutting trees) but she does not have the benefit of having read and learned so much from all of you on here. The hydraulics would make it a lot easier for her for sure. Yes, I know, buy a hydraulic mill. Only if you are paying!

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer called  me this morning.  My engine kit is supposed to ship out tomorrow.  Hopefully this time next week I'll be back in business.  I was gonna say, what should I choose for my first thing to mill with the new engine, but then I realized it will have to be the elm that is still sitting on the mill.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 13, 2021, 11:44:26 AM
Woodmizer called  me this morning.  My engine kit is supposed to ship out tomorrow.  Hopefully this time next week I'll be back in business.  I was gonna say, what should I choose for my first thing to mill with the new engine, but then I realized it will have to be the elm that is still sitting on the mill.
In your haste to saw make sure the engine fluid levels are correct prior to starting.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

Good point.  I've known a few folks who brought home brand new lawn mowers from the store and started them up and cut about one stripe of grass before lock up.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Tracking my engine as it makes its way here.  It looks like it left Cincinatti, 6 hours east of me, yesterday morning.  Now its in Columbia MO, 2 hours west of me.  I would be half tempted to drive there to get it today myself.  As it is, it looks like I will have it delivered to me on Wednesday next week.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

KenMac

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 15, 2021, 12:26:52 PM
Tracking my engine as it makes its way here.  It looks like it left Cincinatti, 6 hours east of me, yesterday morning.  Now its in Columbia MO, 2 hours west of me.  I would be half tempted to drive there to get it today myself.  As it is, it looks like I will have it delivered to me on Wednesday next week.
I'd be in contact with the shipping company and pick it up there. ASAP
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

doc henderson

the driver prob. did a princess wave as he drove past your house!   :) :) :D :D 8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

You would think that would be easy enough.  I called the company about picking it up at their facility in St Louis, which is very close to my fire department where i'm working on monday.  I suggested that they just deliver it there.  The guy said he'd have to contact Woodmizer for them to ok changing the delivery location.  It sounds easy enough, but like everything else, I'm sure it would take too long.  I will call them on Monday and see about having it delivered to work.  

Yes, Doc, I think I saw him waving as he went right on past Stl.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 15, 2021, 04:22:52 PMYes, Doc, I think I saw him waving as he went right on past Stl.

How many fingers did he have raised!! say_what :o
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

After a ridiculous tour of the midwest, I should have my engine tomorrow.  I have to go pick it up at a shipper's location, otherwise I will not get it until Thursday.  I cannot wait til thursday.  I sure hope it goes in with very little trouble.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

Well finally....it may have stories to tell of its travels.  Sorry  you have had such a mess getting a motor shipped to you. 

firefighter ontheside

I have an engine.  At first it looked ominous, but with a little help from @MartyParsons  and WM tech support, maybe its not.  I've got the motor in place and the holes line up.  I got the new drive side wheel on and the drive belt on.  I'm sure I need to adjust tension on the belt.  I know how the gas tank needs to be installed.  Gotta figure out the electrical connections, but that's just figuring out which is negative and positive.  I hope to get it running tomorrow, but I also have a 10 year old at home with me tomorrow and I have to be Mr Dad the teacher for the day too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

Good day for an outdoor shop class experience.  :)  Hope you can manage both projects together.

firefighter ontheside

Engine is on and she cuts.  I just finished the cut I was making when the original engine went bad.  The biggest problem I ran into was that the brake bracket interfered with the drive belt.  I took it off and ground down one side of it.  I wish there was a little more clearance there.  I"m guessing the newer design is a little more slender and fits in between the blade and belt better.  I really like having a manual choke knob.  The gas tank being where it is now will take some getting used to.  My view of the blade tension spring is blocked from the front now, so I have to look down at it from the top.  Oddly the kit came with the lever that the newer saws have for tensioning the blade, but with none of the parts to change it over to that style.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

glad you are up and running, and with more power.  you will get used to it, or make mods that you like.  carry on! 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Thanks.  At the very least, I can use the new gas tank platform to hold my pencils and chalk and such instead of the battery box.  My pencils always fall down inside the battery box.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

my old mentor Kenny Skeels, always had his cap tipped up, and a pencil over his right ear.  He was invited to play baseball on a farm team, but his dad said no, as they needed him at home.  he was a twin, and in those days the doc told his mom to bed them down in a couple shoe boxes and they probably would not live.  He still tears up talking about having missed the opportunity to play baseball.

kantuckid

That long orange rectangular boxy thig toward the right is the gas tank? My shallow, ~ 4" deep, tool tray made of wood and screwed to the top of the battery box top is as basic as basic can be-pencils, tape, tools that uncover the mill bed frame where it clogs and few others, plus a note pad with my cut lists and work gloves.

My OE Kohler 15hp has a choke lever already (Chinese clone carb still hooked up to it OK) but I'm envious of more power, like any kid approaching his adult years... :D 

Being candidly  honest, if I'm running a decent blade my old engine cuts about as fast as my current body functions? ;D maybe I'll "get lucky too", and engine quits on me?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

firefighter ontheside

Yes, the orange box on the right is the gas tank.  Its bolted to the idle side mast and cantilevers out.  Has a nice sized surface on top of smooth steel.  I can put some magnets on there to hold things down.  My wife has very strong little magnets that come with hearing aids.  I'll start off with a little container anchored down with magnets.  I don't want to add a bunch of weight to it though.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

Magnets-on ebay there are cheap and very strong magnets. Nothing like the ones I played with from speakers as a kid. I bought some to use when setting up my 8" jointer blades and can attest that the niobium versions are very brittle-don't drop or peck on them.
 The tank might be great for money sawyers but does seem like overkill in cost or size for a piddler such as myself?
 I can saw most all day with my small Kohler integral tank and also important to keep ethanol gas fresh as possible.  
The lube tank is another story as one of my shoulders is wired & screwed together so even using a milk crate step up 6-7 gallons of juice is heavy and awkward. I mostly save it for when my helper is around to give a boost up. 
Have fun with yer new hot rod mill!
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

firefighter ontheside

The previous owner of my mill was a forum member before he passed.  He used a hole saw and drilled a big hole in the top of the  lube tank.  Then he made a bung to plug the hole.  Now you can just pull a garden hose over fill it up from the top.  I usually just use a watering can though to fill it up.  I don't use lube very often though since I rarely cut softwoods.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!