iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woody Biomass Seminar

Started by beenthere, April 16, 2009, 01:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

There is a Woody Biomass Seminar starting in a few minutes, that some might be interested in.

https://umconnect.umn.edu/fpsbiomass/

About an hour long, and talking about pellets, etc.

If you have the time, or interest...tune in. I don't know what they will cover.

Go in as a guest.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Now to start at 1:30, due to technical difficulties, they say.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

I did briefly listen to the seminar when they were talking about the power plant being converted to biomass in Ashland, WI. One thing I roughly calculated from some of the numbers they were using, they expect to pay an average of $20 per ton for woody biomass. I don't know for sure what a cord of chips weights, but for something like aspen it's 2.25 tons per cord. Thats about $45 per cord or about $500 per semi load. If the hauling costs $20-25 per cord and the cutting and chipping another $20-25 per cord, it doesn't leave much for the landowner.

And I did not actually hear they were paying an average of $20 per ton. The speaker just said they were going to put $5 million into the local economy and the chart he was showing said they were going to need 250,000 tons of woody biomass per year. Thats where I got the $20 per ton number and they may be expecting to pay even less. They are considering using some currently non productive private land and knowing that area, there are a lot of what I have previously heard called brushlands. There was some talk at another seminar of using a dozer with a shear blade to cut those brushlands to harvest the biomass.

Not much need for a guy with a chainsaw on those jobs. ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Gary_C
I had some questions like that too. Bothered me that the three talks seemed to be about where to get free money to start things up, and how 9 schools were lined up to each get $250,000 for new wood-fired boiler systems built before this fall of '09  :o :o

They presented a lot of numbers comparing the cheap biofuels to the expensive gas and oil. Maybe it will work out for them, but appears to be something propped up by Gov't funding that will become un-propped as soon as that money stops (which won't happen, as then we are committed to holding it up).

I believe anyone can review the 1 hour presentation (3 presentors) by going
https://umconnect.umn.edu/p27142295/

I'll remove that if it doesn't work.

I was glad I could get this presentation without travelling to a meeting site, and then be disappointed.  ;D  The half-hour delay did give me time to go out and get that turkey.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!