iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hot Water/ Solar Kiln

Started by Mark M, August 18, 2003, 12:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I am thinking about building a kiln. What I would like to make is a combination solar/hot water unit that would run off the sun in the summer and off the wood stove when it isn't so warm and sunny. Is this a reasonable thing to do? Does anyone have any advice or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Mark

Captain

I am curious how to increase the efficiency for heated use in the winter.  You'll lose a lot more heat in the winter through the glazing in the winter then you will gain......at least here in New England.  I envision them as two seperate structures, a summer kiln and a winter (or lately rainy season) kiln.

Captain

Mark M

Hi Cap'n

I was thinking about some insulated doors or panels that cover the window.

Mark

dail_h

Mark,
   Check out timbergreenforestry.com,alot of good stuff
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Buzz-sawyer

Mark i like the idea and have researched it and drawn several plans up....I have collected stuff to build as well....including a old household boiler...plan is to simply build fire box under it...it was propane...but it is not that hard to build a simple convection flow type wood fired water heater....
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Captain

Hey Mark,

I had thought of that option too.  I had also thought that a forced hot air system may be the way to go for me.  I could burn slabs and off cuts for free and not worry about a water system freezing....just will have to train the wife to stoke the furnace while I'm at work.....

OneWithWood

QuoteIs this a reasonable thing to do?

Whoa, Mark!  Are you turning over a new leaf!  :D :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

OneWithWood

Well I guess I didn't get that quote thing right.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

AtLast

What dail h said....timbergreenforestry.com...that and do a search Gene has ALOT of info for solor and the such.

Thank You Sponsors!