iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue stained stickers - usable or burn?

Started by nybhh, December 30, 2018, 12:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nybhh

I cut a bunch of ew pine stickers late last summer (hot and humid) and stacked them on a palette out of the way to air dry.  Today I went to measure the MC and while now dry, unsuprisingly every bit of sap wood is blue stained. :(

Do you guys think these stickers going to spread their "denimness" or stain wood they are used on?  The plan was to use them on some pine barn siding and roof decking this spring so not high value wood but I'd like to keep is more or less clear if possible.

My stickers are in short supply and nothing I cut now will dry unless I bring them inside.  What do you guys think? Probably about 400-500 or so.  Thanks.

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Bruno of NH

I have never had issues with blue stained stickers.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

longtime lurker

Its fungal. It will spread if you let it. So you either have to get new stickers or kill the fungus.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Southside

Pretty sure that if we are talking pine then it's anerobic so once the air gets to it the fungus dies. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

The blue stain fungus cannot survive in dry wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OffGrid973

Same wood same stickers, unless someone really took the time to 1x1 all their white oak cutoffs, to make stickers that last a life time, then of course air dried and resquared all them once 6% moisture in the first year.

Please wait on your response unless you honestly have fully dried stickers :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Southside

Quote from: OffGrid973 on December 30, 2018, 09:50:32 PMPlease wait on your response unless you honestly have fully dried stickers

Not following you there.  I have poplar stickers that have been through the kiln so many times they look like walnut - I think they are dry.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

All my stickers are stained and if pine, blue stained. I keep them dry and use them for years but if stacking clear pine I use bright, narrow sticks.

nybhh

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Thank You Sponsors!