iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long before cut logs should be sawn?

Started by ForestGump, September 15, 2014, 11:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestGump

Questions I was pondering today- How long will a sawlog last on a landing before value deteriorates and what are the typical methods of preventing splitting? I thought I heard you can leave all winter with no rot, but that seems like a long time.
I imagine it varies between species but a general range would be helpful.
Let the wood times roll!

BargeMonkey

S irons or wax helps but thats for real nice stuff usually. All the good logs i cut to ship dont sit more than 10-14 days max, when i have 4mbft they go. We saw alot of soft + hard maple, ash and beech, the stuff can sit 1 yr if your not concerned with it checking and splitting to bad. We have a market for spalted hard maple, it really comes out nice, and that takes 2-4 yrs usually. Normally if you know its going to sit a while leave some extra trim, bandmills love real tough ends that are checked and full of mud. Fresh faces save blades. The only species you really cant leave sit for too long is birch, especially white birch.

Southside

Pine does not like to sit around much either, in the warmer months it will stain blue, thus the term "denim pine".  If it sits on the ground for very long it will start to punk pretty quickly as well, frozen solid it would keep though.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

This time of year we try to move hardwood logs within a week or 2 of cutting or else they start to stain and check really bad (unless its red oak then it can sit a while).

Winter cut wood can sit into the early summer if need be and still be good.

Thank You Sponsors!