The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Second guessing woodmizer order  (Read 3341 times)

Offline porcupine

• Porcupine Ridge
    • Share Post
Re: Second guessing woodmizer order
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 10:21:20 AM »
I have a 47hp Yanmar on my LT50. It has never bogged down or skipped a beat while being pushed through hard maple or anything I've cut. I think you will be fine with that 70!

Buyers remorse...I just bought a Kawasaki Mule and went a little crazy on accessories ....when I got the bill from the dealer my reflection on the price began....best thing to do is stop thinking about the price and get ready to enjoy the machine. Life will pass you by.
2011 LT50 HD D47 Command Control
Accuset2 Debarker Lubemizer
Kubota M5040
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex
John Deere 350-B Dozer Crawler
Logrite

Offline Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
I don't understand how anyone can run a business with that lead time. Seems to me the TK is a popular, well built mill. Why aren't they matching production to demand. Seems like hiring a few more guys and expanding operations is in order. Or running another shift.
We're fortunate to have strong demand for our mills, and we're grateful for folks who are willing to wait. We feel a TimberKing mill is well worth it!

While we'd love to increase production, we're unwilling to do that if it will in any way impinge on our quality. And while it sounds easy enough to "hire a few more guys," that's not what's required. What's required is that we hire a few more quality guys, get them the training and experience they need to put out a product worthy of our name.

If ever we have to make a choice between losing a sale or compromising on quality we will, with regret, let the sale go. With all due respect, that's how you run a business that stays in business for the long haul.

On engines, this is the last year that companies can put Tier 3 "Flex" engines on machines. We're beginning to make the transition to Tier 4, but we have a few Tier 3 engines still available, including the 59HP on the 2500 mill. Worth noting that while the 2500 does end up costing a bit more than the LT70, it does offer this larger engine, dual log turners, dual log clamps and standard 24' cut length. So, to be fair, it's not quite an apples to apple comparison.
It was a really tough decision for us. I wanted the tk and dad wanted the wm but he left the decision and research on me. I felt like TK offered more mill for the money. The 2500 was just slightly more than the 70, not enough difference to factor in the decision. The two main factors for us were delivery times and location. Wm is a little over 3 hours from me and you guys are more than 13 hrs. It was a tough decision for us and either way we went I felt like I will always wonder if I made the right choice.  Bob was great to deal with and I enjoyed talking to him. I felt bad that we ended up going with the woodmizer. As the owner of several successful business in the past I feel like 4 months is unacceptable as a lead time. I understand that it is hard to find quality help. My last business was a fabrication shop. We specialized in building prototypes for companies involving some pretty advanced tig welding that needed to be perfect. I went through quite a few guys and spent many late nights redoing unsatisfactory welds. Building a portable sawmill isn't rocket surgery and after design is set it is fairly simple in a manufacturing sense. I am happy to hear that you are not willing to sacrifice quality for production. As a consumer and potential customer I feel it's important for you to know that 4 months seems like a long time to wait for something as basic as a portable sawmill. Especially when one of your main competitors is cutting your lead time in half. Considering all of the supporting equipment we need to get you have missed out on over 100k in sales simply due to the fact that your current manufacturing does not meet your demand. Not to mention potential sales lost due to word of mouth and getting more of your mills in this area. It seems to me the more quality mills you get out the more you will sell. In this area wm is king. There is one guy with a tk mill anywhere near me. There was another guy but he sold his and bought a woodmizer. I hope you don't view this as bashing your company that is not my intention at all . Just trying to help by informing you of my views as a potential customer.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
I have a 47hp Yanmar on my LT50. It has never bogged down or skipped a beat while being pushed through hard maple or anything I've cut. I think you will be fine with that 70!

Buyers remorse...I just bought a Kawasaki Mule and went a little crazy on accessories ....when I got the bill from the dealer my reflection on the price began....best thing to do is stop thinking about the price and get ready to enjoy the machine. Life will pass you by.
Thank you . That's what I wanted to hear. I have buyers remorse and unfortunately I'm one of those guys who always wonders if my money would have been better spent,  especially regarding major purchases. In regards to sawmills it is really hard for me because I really believe that there is a lot of great quality mills being produced which makes the decision a tough one.  So many happy owners from both the companies we were looking at. I really hope I don't have any issues with the woodmizer and don't anticipate any.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline Will_Johnson

• Sponsor
  • TimberKing Factory Rep
    • Share Post
    • www.timberking.com
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »
Every buyer brings with them a certain set of requirements. While our product itself seems to have checked the boxes for you, lead time was ultimately the factor that tipped the balance for you. That's fine, you had to make the best decision for your particular set of circumstances. As I said, other buyers' priorities are balanced differently and we're grateful for their business.

I'd quibble with your notion that making nine different models of machine with several configurations and many thousands of parts is "simple in a manufacturing sense." If it were there would be a lot more people doing it -- and doing it as well as we do. As it happens, there are few of the first and even fewer of the second.

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 11:28:22 AM »
It is unusual that a piece of equipment gains value over time - UTVs, tractors, computers, boats, sawmills, motorcycles, you name it - the only way to offset the loss in value is to use, enjoy and maintain these things.

I'll never recover the money I've spent on boats or fishing gear but the return on the "investment" (loosely used word) has been countless hours spent with family and friends fishing, skiing, camping and cruising.

So I fully agree! Get what you can afford.  Don't strain over gnats, don't  second guess and don't borrow trouble!  It is hard to move forward rehashing well thought out decisions.

That LT70 is one heck of a machine! Get your hands on it, work it and enjoy it!
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline dmoore1983

• Mills, Mowers, and Moulders
    • Share Post
    • Wood-Mizer
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
Hi Everyone, I wanted to take a moment to clarify a couple of things.

We try to do our best to make sure our equipment specs are correct but obviously we don't always succeed (sorry about that). We have updated the LT70 SUPER "Build and Price" page to reflect the correct cutting length of the LT70 SUPER (20' 2"). 

Bed Extensions - The LT70 SUPER (and LT40/50 remotes) can only have a 6' extension added to it because of the cat track. The only mills that can have the longer extensions added are walk-with mills.

Diesel Engines - Wood-Mizer was the first sawmill manufacturer to run out of Tier 3 diesels by a long shot. (October 2017) We wanted to run the larger diesel engines but were told that the D46 was enough power. The truth is that so far it has been enough power but at Wood-Mizer we want our customers to have options so we went through a series of retesting and are hoping to be able to offer a D55 option sometime in the future. 

I hope this helps to clarify things. We want to be upfront and honest and by no means did we mean to misrepresent our equipment. Also, anytime someone sees an issue or needs clarification, please feel free to call us. We are always happy to help. 
May the Lord bless and keep you...

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »
Looks to me like many questions and concerns were answered in this topic, so I think it is time to put it to bed. I don't like to lock topics because some great things come out of a natural flow of conversation, but in this case, I'd think it best to take what we now know in regards to this topic and refer back to the let's go cut some wood idea! :)  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
which woodmizer to order

Started by woodweasel on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 01:58:46 AM
by Kansas
xx
Second Guessing Myself

Started by woodweasel on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post January 17, 2017, 08:05:21 PM
by woodweasel