iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What causes this in a Pine Tree ?

Started by Poquo, March 07, 2020, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poquo

Spotted this near Williamsburg , Va. today .  

Looks like bulges that go around the tree .

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

RPF2509

Looks like pruning too close to the bole.  The swell at the branch base near the bole should not be injured when pruning a branch.  I've seen similar bulges in pruning jobs.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Poquo

Thanks for the replies , that tree had a dozen of those spots on it .
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

doc henderson

they have a lot  of those in south Dakota, and use them for decoration for porch posts and such.  in deadwood I think.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Clark

I've seen those one other time and it was in aspen in Colorado. I have no clue what causes it but there is zero chance the trees I saw had been pruned. Usually incorrect pruning leaves an open wound just below the branch that was removed. I would vote no on pruning and yes to...something else.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

doc henderson

I tried to find a pic.  they were all over this town, and from some sort of damage.  I will try to remember the explanation I got back then.  more than a burl as they encircle the tree and arise in segments.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!