iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I have 26°.
You are right, driveway just might be froze before it snows. I have a dirt driveway and most years the ground is not froze before it snows. I live on a dirt road and it's hard to plow the snow like that too.
I have been cutting wood on the other side of the dirt road, I have to drag the wood across the road to get it up to the house. I lay down some 4 inch pieces of wood to keep the wood clean and so I don't dig up the road. Yesterday I did not lay down any pieces of wood. Hardly left a mark on the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Just noticed 3 does heading down south to Charleston for the winter. Won't see another deer track until spring up here. :snowball:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

It kind of changed to 'winter mode' fairly quick after weeks of 40 and 50° daytime highs. Now it looks like highs in the mid 30'a for the foreseeable future. Not supposed to get over 30 today. Grey solid overcast. Driveway is getting harder, but the muddy spots are still crunchy and not really good enough to drive a wheeled skid steer on yet. I wish we had one more week in the sunny 40's but if any real snow holds off until at least next week, that will have to be good enough.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

20F and clear here today, cool NW wind. ;D

Was up to the woods and seen lots of bear tracks all over the place and came across a big moose. Never saw it's head, just body and legs moving. It had bedded down near there last night. With all them bear tracks around, I swear the bears must have slept with the moose. :D Seen a couple day old deer tracks in the same spot to. But I seen them deer all leave yesterday, down stream they went. I'll check next snow for any more deer.  Built a camp fire with dry fir, smell like a smoked ham now. :D  Saw a goshawk (chicken hawk) to, I suppose after a grouse. He was flying along the road after I startled him.

Painting of goshawk hunting grouse. ;)

Wildlife art prints plus original paintings with a wide selection from ArtBarbarians.com located in Minnesota.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

I'm on the run again trying to get some more stuff done before the ground freezes. Trace of snow ⛄️ n ground this morning, around 32 now. 
A1

wisconsitom

We're going to get shut down with our larch post and pole de-limbing and cutting to length.  Bits of snow-5 inches up there yesterday-and cold keep coming and soon our log piles will be frozen down to the ground.

Experience has taught me that once they're frozen down....they're staying there until spring :'(.

Maybe can go for a week yet.  Next system to track further to north and hence will draw warm air up into our area.  Might have a brief window yet to get more processed.  Wed. system might be rain instead of snow!

Gonna try and sell some out by the road.

By coming Sunday or Monday, we could be looking at heavy snow coming in.  Too soon to pin down for sure.  If it comes, we'll have to pivot to trimming up conifers.  We don't quit, just shift our focus.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

sawguy21

Well! This is weird, I put on a windbreaker under my winter coat (liner is gone) and stepped outside, it is 13C, almost 56F! The snow is completely gone and the grass is greening up.  We frequently don't see snow to speak of before Christmas but never this mild.
I'm just glad I no longer live at the coast. We are short some foodstuffs but managing ok. Dairy products are sketchy, the local plants were bought up by Saputo years ago then production was consolidated at Abbotsford. Our product was being trucked there but is now dumped and the shelves are empty because the roads and rail are washed out. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

I had 40°, not bad for the first day of Dec. Not much sun today.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

20F this morning, suppose to get to 38F and rain later.

Saw another deer in the field making it's way southward yesterday. :)

They cut corn yesterday up at the end of the road by the woodlot. Worked way into the night before it gets mild. Probably got the 150 acres cut I suspect.

thecfarm

A fine snow is going on this morning. Suppose to hit 40 again today. 26° now.

SwampDonkey

Started to snow around 10 am, and the blue jays and squirrels have been gathering spilled corn from yesterday's harvest. I saw 3 fresh deer tracks and lots of new bear tracks. You might not see the animals, but snow reveals whose out there. Probably watching you. :D

And one deer around that branch/snag I tied up for a buck scrape. No scrape yet, just walked under it.  There must be something to this because deer are sparse here and more than coincidence to walk in under it I'm thinking. It's not on a trail, but off to the side a few feet. ;)

HemlockKing

I don't half to walk far or look hard for signs of deer here. Compound the fact they already like it here as well as I'm thinning out a good habitat for them. Should be set for steaks for the rest of my life.
A1

HemlockKing

Crazy thunder and lightning storm! Heavy rain
A1

thecfarm

I have 31° and rain. A good night to stay home. Was very foggy before the sun when down.

SwampDonkey

After dinner yesterday it was 38 and rain from then on and into the late evening, hard rain. Not much for snow now.

Brushed the flu and stove this morning, one of them monthly chores. Beats mowing grass. ;D

Hoping to help out the deer for winter habitat, right now nothing to eat within reach in winter. I got the thermal cover from the fir, but needs to open up some for young hardwoods to take hold. I don't know how the rabbits do so well here, I don't see girdling and really not much to nibble. Don't need much maybe. Rabbit tracks everywhere......and squirrel. There are lynx here once in awhile.

Nice in the sun. :D

Old Greenhorn

Well we had nearly a 1/2" of rain yesterday in separate sessions, but it was mild temps. Around late evening the wind started to pick up, enough that I turned on the floodlights and looked outside to confirm the source of the noise. Sometime after midnight, it changed to a freight train sound that woke me up. Mostly out of the north or NNW, Lots of trees down and power outages. School is canceled today.
 I just heard the neighboring department get dispatched to a brush fire endangering a structure. With theses 20 MPH winds we still have, that won't be a fun job. Lots of blocked roads around.
 Temp right now is at 38, so that's not bad. But that wind may change my plans for the day.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Well, we had rain until daybreak. Then the wind swung and we had 4 hrs of snow. Now just wind and clearing. Snow plow just went with sand. This is a complete change in service over the last 15 years, sand and just a skiff of snow. Can't wait until we get 15" of snow in one dump and see the new plan of attack. :D

SwampDonkey

Oh, and expecting temps to drop below 10F at night time for a few days. That'll bring the 'soft' to 'hard' in no time. :D

thecfarm

I have 16° this morning. Might get to above freezing today. The wind was busy here yesterday. But it was kinda a warm wind.  ???  Was not like the wind we had a few weeks ago, that was a cold, cold wind.

SwampDonkey

Well, it's 10F this morning and light arctic breeze to keep me cool. ;D Lots of sun today, not yet over the horizon though. Nice and crisp out, just the way I like it. :)

Got'r a little hot in here with a stove full of aspen. ;D

wisconsitom

2 or 3 inches of snow and sleet here in A-Town, 8 inches of snow up at the place.  We're probably done with our pole and post piles for the winter.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

SwampDonkey

Snowing here to, not heavy, some wind. Was 18F his morning, NE'er. Schools all closed up.  

doc henderson

30 here now, a chill in the breeze.  down to 21 tomorrow night, back up in the 70s Thursday.  must not be global warming, as it will stay cold other places. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

From 28 to 60F in 8 hours. At 50 now should see 60 soon
A1

Thank You Sponsors!