iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100 ft dead pine

Started by slider, April 14, 2021, 02:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

I am in my 11th year doing tree service work . we have many dead trees to deal with but today one taught me something .

I went up 70 ft and put a rope in it then i dropped down 20 ft and did an over and under cut with a wide hinge because the tree was so far gone. when we started pulling with the skid steer .the rope was not tight when it started to fall. i had 30 ft of big stem over me with not much holding it. 

My bucket will go up to 75 ft but what is 5 more ft when you still have 25 above you.

i should have had the service to the house dropped and just dropped it in the yard.

11 years yes ,still learning,hell yes. glad to still be here .
al glenn

barbender

I think in tree work or anything else that is inherently dangerous, the day you think you've got it pretty well figured is when you're going to get killed. I'm glad you're still learning, Slider!
Too many irons in the fire

slider

bare bender i  am.thanks.
al glenn

GullyBog

Removing dead trees from urban areas is important work.  Thanks for what you do.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

caveman

Al, I'm glad you are still with us and you avoided a potential disaster.  Those of you removing yard trees earn your money.

What's uglier than MagicMan's feet?

I should have posted, back in September, in "I did something dumb today" when I was pushing over a dead pine with a tractor and had a mishap. I did not post due to embarrassment but it may serve to help someone else avoid ruining their modeling career or worse.  There was a relatively small, 50' pine that was dead.  I used the tractor fork rack up high on the trunk to gently push it.  After it had a good amount of lean and the root ball was beginning to come out of the sand, I backed up the tractor and put the end of the fork on the trunk in order to get a little further away.  All was going superbly until the top, while falling through the top of a neighboring pine's limbs broke out and was hurled back at me.  It broke my nose and I got a hook shaped scar, but I considered myself fortunate.  The kicker is that there was an audience.
Caveman

Magicman

I accept defeat with de feet.  You is ugly!!  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Thank you sir, I take that as a compliment.  
Caveman

Magicman

As it was intended.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Dang Caveman that hurts just to look at it. Glad it was not any worse. I do many dead trees but i don't like nor trust them.

We did one last year near a power line that i could not piece down . I always cut 2 escape routs at the base so i don't get tangled up if i have to move in a hurry. We put a rope in it at 60 ft . I put a notch in it at the base and started my back cut when David started pulling. It broke 20 ft above me and 40 ft of top came down . Taking the time to clean out 2 ways to leave if things go wrong saved me that day. I just turned 71 but i can move when i have to.
al glenn

caveman

I look at your age when I see your posts and I cannot believe you are 71.  You must have taken good care of yourself or Vic takes good care of you.  Standing dead trees can be ....(dangerous, profitable, eventful, non-eventful, a good place to raise woodpeckers, etc.).

That was the second time I got my nose broken.  It hurt both times and it keeps getting bigger.
Caveman

Andries

Quote from: slider on April 14, 2021, 06:35:06 PMbare bender i  am.thanks.
Slider, I noticed what you did with your words there. Might @barbender  be the name of an exotic dancer?
 Sly dog!
Glad to see your post and to hear about your adventures as a climbing arborist. Keep on dodging those widow makers!
Caveman, DANG, that appears to be both lucky and Dang painful. But hey, it looks like your career as a stunt double for George Cooney is still safe. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

barbender

😂😂 No exotic dancing here, usually people's auto correct turns my user name into "bartender"- "bare bender" was definitely a new one!😂

slider

sorry Barbender my mistake . 
al glenn

slider

al glenn

customsawyer

Dang Slider and Caveman. I thought I was the only one that does stupid stuff. Making me feel better every day.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

barbender

No apology needed!😊

caveman

Quote from: customsawyer on May 04, 2021, 07:42:18 PMMaking me feel better every day.
Hang around me and I can help you boost your self esteem.  To quote my Daddy.  "It seemed like a good idea at the time".
Caveman

Clark

Quote from: slider on May 04, 2021, 04:05:08 PM
sorry Barbender my mistake .

I thought that auto-correct was hilarious. Instead of "Senior member X2" I think barbender deserves a title there. Between manning the wet bar and the metal bar he could have his own one-man operation in the seedy part of town...but "dancer" would still be a good title!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Stephen1

Remember it is only dumb stuff after the fact. It made perfect sense while we are doing it!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Tacotodd

Quote from: Stephen1 on June 23, 2021, 08:51:49 AM
Remember it is only dumb stuff after the fact. It made perfect sense while we are doing it!

"It seemed like a good thing at the time"   ::)
Trying harder everyday.

slider

Tocotodd you are correct and i am still learning and still here , that is a good thing. On that one i should have dropped the service and did not ,won,t happen again.
al glenn

slider

Had one this weekend a 2 year old dead pine 14 in at the base but at least 115 ft tall over an out building . my climber said he could do it but from another tree . I asked if things go wrong you are tied in to the tree that is not close ,that will hurt when you swing into it . he replied ,yes it will but i wont hit the ground. I have a fine crew and will not let them do something that i feel good about .we took the skid steer and grubbed out a path to put a rope in it and made it happen. The building would have cost me 5,000 but i will not put my guys in a position where they are danger or we will pull off. Do i have an ego ,yes but not for one of my crew .

i learned this weekend ,when you wait until it is dangerous you have to pay more.
al glenn

slider

another one yesterday 80 footer ,way dead with a rope in it . i had already put a notch in it and bumped it with the skid steer . the top stuck in the ground right next to me . just keeping looking up is what i learned . I had my hard hat on because of the tree but you just never know.You guys doing this every day ,don't trust a dead one.

al glenn

caveman

About a year ago I got smacked in the nose with a limb from a dead pine.  It was much smaller than what you are dealing with but I realized I had no future in modeling that day.  My nose did not really need to be broken again but stupid people win stupid prizes.  

Al, I'm glad that you are okay.  Be careful and say hello to Vic for me.
Caveman

barbender

Ouch. That's not Magicman toe territory, but it still isn't pretty😬

barbender

I've also noticed that my generously sized nose attracts a lot of hits, it's been broken several times.

slider

Caveman you are correct i should have been looking up. 
al glenn

Hilltop366

I don't think anyone should be any were near a dead tree when the pulling starts, it is bound to shed something on the way down. It is risky enough just cutting let alone pulling or falling on it's own.

slider

hilltop you are correct and i will agree . i know better . just got in a hurry for no reason . This one tuned me up. i have had much worse but i was prepared . this one was an easy tree and i dropped my guard . it will not happen again.
al glenn

Hilltop366

Everyone gets a reminder once in a while, if your lucky you live to tell the tale, play safe!

slider

Finished a good job this weekend .Started 3 weeks ago and had to wait until it dried up to come back. There were 3 120 footers near and one over part of the house . For 3 weeks i have been thinking about those 3. Thankfully they were not dead and could drop them in the yard after trimming and missing the septic tank. It,s done with no mistakes ,i can sleep better now. 

December will be 13 years and not had to make an insurance claim ,i hope it last.
al glenn

slider

Normally don,t work on Sunday but today i had to put three down and 3 more easy trees behind us . why we worked was to get those three big ones off my mind and it is now ,i can sleep well.

I brought my weekend climber in to help out . On 2 he was at 60 ft with a 550 i with a 36 in bar.that is a big saw to run out of a bucket . He climbs and runs the bucket . We could not just drop them because of power lines. 

I run the bucket during the week but save the difficult jobs for him . it is so nice to have good help . Not always i did one this week that was a challenge but we did it without wrecking a new shelter. Not an easy job but it worked and it keeps me thinking . i have to think to keep going.
al glenn

sawguy21

A former coworker got cocky and was spiked by a widowmaker, he is in a wheelchair. Stay safe, I would rather talk to you than about you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

slider

Thanks Sawguy . at my age i am not cocky and all about my crew being safe. 
al glenn

Andries

Hey slider, good to hear that all is well down your way.
A long bar on a MS550 and 60 feet up, now that is BIG tree country! Well done on another arborist season. 👍
We've now got six inches of snow that'll be with us until April. The tree service is shut down for the year, but I'm going out to shovel the snow offa the LT40. 
I'll mill a bit more until the temps get down to the painful part of the thermometer. 😩
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

slider

Andries we don,t have much snow here in georgia but it has been one wet year. We have been having to pick our jobs that were on somewhat high ground. I am going back to the last job that we did and hope my ms 251 is there . I have 2 but one did not make it home. we take 5 or 6 saws when we work i guess i lost count.

Hope to see you and your wife next year at Jakes if he can have the project.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!