The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Ticks ticks ticks  (Read 3786 times)

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Ticks ticks ticks
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
Found this week old rabbit dead on my path in woods. Full of ticks, everywhere inside the ears etc, Iím sure it couldnít even hear, could it have died from all the ticks? 

ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.ď
Milton Friedman

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2021, 07:07:41 PM »
Both ears were absolutely jam packed with ticks, some all
Over the face and neck. Pitiful really. I really hate ticks.
ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.ď
Milton Friedman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2021, 07:40:54 PM »
Dude you need to be ground spraying permethrin SFR 36.8 from a boom before those things get you.  That is out of control.  

I would be rounding up every free chicken and guinea i could, brooding them and turning them out.  Let them get picked off.. So what just break the life cycle.
Isaiah 63:10

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2021, 07:45:41 PM »
Man that is ugly, poor little guy. I wonder if a lot of those ticks nailed him post-mortem while he was still warm? If they were on him all along I can see that the animal must have been very ill not to tend to them as best he could. Pretty degusting. That might keep me awake at night.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2021, 09:15:47 PM »
Not sure if I already mentioned this or not: we have moose here in VT that are severely weakened and dying due to the heavy load of ticks they are carrying. Unlike deer, moose do not groom themselves to remove ticks. It seems the blood loss is causing severe anemia. If the anemia doesn't kill them outright, it weakens them to the point where they can't survive the winter.

A scary article on the subject:
https://www.outdoors.org/resources/amc-outdoors/conservation-and-climate/warming-winters-and-moose-ticks-the-domino-effect-killing-an-iconic-northeast-mammal/

From that article:
A study published in the Canadian Journal of Zoology in 2018 found that from 2014 to 2016, 70 percent of moose calves in west-central Maine and northern New Hampshire died of emaciation by winter tick infestation. On average, each animal hosted 47,371 ticks. [emphasis added]
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2021, 12:01:14 AM »
I think that is a case where feeding insecticide treated corn would be a huge bang for the buck.  47k ticks per animal is an incredible score.  In winter the only ticks alive are the ones clinging to a warm body.  

Feed the warm bodies a tick killing feed ration.  

Since my dogs started living outside and being on nexgard spectra i dont have any ticks in the fenced acre we live in at all.  Ticks eventually cling to the dog and are killed when they bite.  I used to get bit inside my own house. 

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2021, 04:23:51 AM »
I think that is a case where feeding insecticide treated corn would be a huge bang for the buck.  47k ticks per animal is an incredible score.  In winter the only ticks alive are the ones clinging to a warm body.  

Feed the warm bodies a tick killing feed ration.  

Since my dogs started living outside and being on nexgard spectra i dont have any ticks in the fenced acre we live in at all.  Ticks eventually cling to the dog and are killed when they bite.  I used to get bit inside my own house.
This route would make most sense to me, is this expensive? I have so many deer that are always around. Finding this little guy really sickened me, this. Means. War. When it comes to ticks. I need a dedicated ride on mower or bush hog attach for my tractor to keep the grass down too. 
Milton Friedman

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2021, 04:25:01 AM »
Man that is ugly, poor little guy. I wonder if a lot of those ticks nailed him post-mortem while he was still warm? If they were on him all along I can see that the animal must have been very ill not to tend to them as best he could. Pretty degusting. That might keep me awake at night.
It is certainly gross; what a reminder to always check for ticks!
Milton Friedman

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2021, 08:48:57 AM »
If I were you, I "think" I would get a roaring fire going in a burn barrel, then put that poor rabbit on top, partly to get rid of the rabbit, but mostly to get rid of all those ticks!

That would be a lot of ticks to just "turn loose", because they're all going to lay eggs, if turned loose!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2021, 09:00:24 AM »
If I were you, I "think" I would get a roaring fire going in a burn barrel, then put that poor rabbit on top, partly to get rid of the rabbit, but mostly to get rid of all those ticks!

That would be a lot of ticks to just "turn loose", because they're all going to lay eggs, if turned loose!
I just tossed it aside the trail, water under the bridge, makes no difference, these rabbits are everywhere. I can find a tick in 2 seconds anywhere here. I just check myself every 2-3 hours. Plus im cutting firewood so Iím shooting lots of chips at my legs, I donít think they climb when Iím being sprayed with pine chips lol . Iíve never had a engourged tick on me before, Iíve gotten all of them before they get to blood. Iím quite the paranoia freak in that sense Iím always scaling through my hairline and back neck etc feeling for ticks, I usually feel them as soon as they touch my skin though. 
Milton Friedman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2021, 10:26:18 AM »
Wait until you step in a tick bomb and 60 seed ticks are coming up your thigh... 

Starting fluid works best on getting them all off but youll feel crawling all over for a while.

You can use the wild rabbits as magnetic tick killers if youre willing to spend the money on feeders and a treated feed.  I would want @Nebraska to give an opinion on the most economical way. 

You can get all the guineas you want but they arent gonna eat them out of a rabbits ear and those raisinets will be distributing thousands of new seed ticks everywhere they go.  

I would also put out some 5 gallon bucket peanut butter baited water traps for the mice which will also be infested and are a lymes vector. 

Get a bucket, paintstick, sheetrock screw, little metal rod or old tentpole or stick and a fridge magnet.  You make a magnetic diving board by taping the paintstick over the rod to pivot.  The screw goes in the rim of the bucket and the fridge magnet clamps to the end of the paintstick to weight the diving board back down and magnetize to the screw.  Peanut butter the end of the diving board especially underneath so they reach over and get off balance then go swim.  I use a string tied to the sheetrock screw to limit the plunge so that the weight of the magnet auto resets it for the next one.  

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2021, 10:30:49 AM »
I seriously donít know how Iíve avoided the ďtick bombsĒ so far. Iíve been at er in the woods everyday nearly for a year. Previous to that I still went in the woods often just not falling trees all day. Watch me catch one today now that I mention that. Iíve heard of the 5 gal bucket trick for squirrels, thankfully nearly all those are gone in my immediate vicinity 
Milton Friedman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »
Id never experienced or heard of a tick bomb up north either.  Maybe its specific to the lonestar we have down here.  I rarely see other brands of tick. 

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2021, 02:29:47 PM »
So far the trapping rodents, guinea fowl(and others) and permethrin sfr are really good suggestions,  I'm not sure how to bait the rabbits to get the ticks, in that situation, you've got to get them feeding at a consistent place(s) and conditioned to a food source. They are browsers.  Wild rabbits aren't my Forte, I guess tame ones aren't either for that matter, but I try if I have to. You know rabbits are kind of stupid curious that's why those drop down traps work on them, how about cutting about 6 to 8 inch plastic culvert into short sections and making a sponge wick type of thing to spread a Permethrin type product down the rabbits back as it traverses the tube snooping around....It would de tick anything else that went through as well.   A product like the permethrin SFR, or a Permectrin CDS (Bayer livestock insecticide) diluted out with mineral oil could do that. So could the same on rope wicks over salt licks for moose...  Far from a tick expert but the stuff Mike is using on his dog's is about as good as it gets.  The tick bomb / nest thing gives me the "willys", btdt....  I better go get busy..

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »
I didnt even think of a wicked up crawl tube.  

Plant some grass seed or lettuce etc in a small penned sunny spot exclosure with tubes to pass into it.  Drill holesaw holes and hang mopheads or old washcloths full of permetrin with a stubby sheetrock screw to keep the rag in place.  Re-dose periodically with permethrin.  The equine fly sprays are about the cheapest unless you find a sale.  Mosquito halt is still king for me here.  We get wrecked by chiggers if not wearing it this month.

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2021, 03:14:52 PM »
Found a tiny deer tick(nymph?) on me today, even though itís almost winter, remember to tick check if youíve been bush wacking!
Milton Friedman

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »
Oh yea!! I had one on me a few weeks back, bull eye and all. No idea how long it was there. Was on some meds for a week. Looks good now. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2021, 06:18:13 PM »
Ticks were so bad this spring and early summer, but I haven't seen one in months.  I'm so happy I can get out in the woods for a while and not worry bout them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2021, 06:33:47 PM »
Ticks were so bad this spring and early summer, but I haven't seen one in months.  I'm so happy I can get out in the woods for a while and not worry bout them.
I had people over today and they had asked about ticks, I reassured them I havenít seen any since late July, then turns out I had one on me
Not a hour laterÖand deer tick(lyme). Donít be so sure! It was super small I got lucky that I felt it crawling on my stomach before it got else where and hidÖ Iíve been slacking on tick checks too since I just assumed they are gone mostly now
Milton Friedman

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2021, 07:12:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure they're still out there, just not in the numbers we saw earlier.  I still do tick checks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Ticks are out!

Started by cutterboy on Forestry and Logging

37 Replies
Last post March 14, 2021, 11:58:38 AM
by firefighter ontheside
xx
Ticks

Started by 4x4American on General Board

64 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 03:08:04 PM
by Bruno of NH