iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks ticks ticks

Started by HemlockKing, April 27, 2021, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: HemlockKing on June 30, 2021, 08:54:55 AM
They all got put to the flame. (Lighter) lol
I hope you are not using flame as a means of removing tick which are already latched on to you. Flame, vaseline, gasoline, crushing and other similar methods of tick removal can cause ticks to disgorge their stomach contents into you, increasing the chances of them transmitting one or more tick-borne diseases into your bloodstream.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HemlockKing

That would be kind of ignorant John lol.  No I'm not burning them while attached to me. I've gotten much better at removing them, I use to rush and panic a bit. Now I make sure to remove it carefully. 
A1

Tacotodd

Definitely only when they are off, but do it nonetheless.
Trying harder everyday.

John Mc

Quote from: HemlockKing on June 30, 2021, 11:11:15 AM
That would be kind of ignorant John lol.  No I'm not burning them while attached to me. I've gotten much better at removing them, I use to rush and panic a bit. Now I make sure to remove it carefully.
I did not at all mean to imply you were ignorant. Sorry if my post came across as condescending. You might be surprised how many people try to remove them by holding a cigarette to them, or a recently blown out match or any of a number of other questionable practices.
I tend to take tick borne diseases very seriously. My sister has been laid up with Lyme disease a couple of times. My brother had it so bad, he would drive his daughter to school in the morning, then come home and lie down on his living room floor because he did not have the energy to go back upstairs to bed. Several years after that, he was hospitalized for 8 days with Anaplasmosis (another tick-borne disease). A local friend struggled with Lyme disease that went several years without diagnosis and treatment. She's been under expert care for 3 or 4 years now, and still hasn't shaken it. It's all she can do to sit on the sidelines and watch her son play soccer (and she often requires assistance to make the 100 yard walk from the car to the field). She's in her low 40s and has been struggling with this for about 7 years. It's likely she has permanent damage from the disease. A cousin in central MA had Lyme that was undiagnosed for a couple of years. She's been wheel chair bound on two occasions as a result (one of them lasting for 4 or 5 months).
I've suspected I had it a couple of time: severe fatigue, joint pain, "brain fog", etc., but both times I insisted on a test, it came back negative.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_belben

I have the same list of symptoms, probably nearing 100 bites in my life and all my panels have come back negative.  Several times had a bite then felt ill for days after. 

Big improvement for us around the yard was 2 full time outdoor dogs on Nexgard Spectra.  The dogs mop them up and they die from biting the treated dog.  Lifecycle broken.  

We are down to about 15% of the worst years i can remember.
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Found this week old rabbit dead on my path in woods. Full of ticks, everywhere inside the ears etc, I'm sure it couldn't even hear, could it have died from all the ticks? 

A1

HemlockKing

Both ears were absolutely jam packed with ticks, some all
Over the face and neck. Pitiful really. I really hate ticks.
A1

mike_belben

Dude you need to be ground spraying permethrin SFR 36.8 from a boom before those things get you.  That is out of control.  

I would be rounding up every free chicken and guinea i could, brooding them and turning them out.  Let them get picked off.. So what just break the life cycle.
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Man that is ugly, poor little guy. I wonder if a lot of those ticks nailed him post-mortem while he was still warm? If they were on him all along I can see that the animal must have been very ill not to tend to them as best he could. Pretty degusting. That might keep me awake at night.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

Not sure if I already mentioned this or not: we have moose here in VT that are severely weakened and dying due to the heavy load of ticks they are carrying. Unlike deer, moose do not groom themselves to remove ticks. It seems the blood loss is causing severe anemia. If the anemia doesn't kill them outright, it weakens them to the point where they can't survive the winter.

A scary article on the subject:
https://www.outdoors.org/resources/amc-outdoors/conservation-and-climate/warming-winters-and-moose-ticks-the-domino-effect-killing-an-iconic-northeast-mammal/

From that article:
QuoteA study published in the Canadian Journal of Zoology in 2018 found that from 2014 to 2016, 70 percent of moose calves in west-central Maine and northern New Hampshire died of emaciation by winter tick infestation. On average, each animal hosted 47,371 ticks. [emphasis added]

mike_belben

I think that is a case where feeding insecticide treated corn would be a huge bang for the buck.  47k ticks per animal is an incredible score.  In winter the only ticks alive are the ones clinging to a warm body.  

Feed the warm bodies a tick killing feed ration.  

Since my dogs started living outside and being on nexgard spectra i dont have any ticks in the fenced acre we live in at all.  Ticks eventually cling to the dog and are killed when they bite.  I used to get bit inside my own house. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on July 15, 2021, 12:01:14 AM
I think that is a case where feeding insecticide treated corn would be a huge bang for the buck.  47k ticks per animal is an incredible score.  In winter the only ticks alive are the ones clinging to a warm body.  

Feed the warm bodies a tick killing feed ration.  

Since my dogs started living outside and being on nexgard spectra i dont have any ticks in the fenced acre we live in at all.  Ticks eventually cling to the dog and are killed when they bite.  I used to get bit inside my own house.
This route would make most sense to me, is this expensive? I have so many deer that are always around. Finding this little guy really sickened me, this. Means. War. When it comes to ticks. I need a dedicated ride on mower or bush hog attach for my tractor to keep the grass down too. 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 14, 2021, 07:45:41 PM
Man that is ugly, poor little guy. I wonder if a lot of those ticks nailed him post-mortem while he was still warm? If they were on him all along I can see that the animal must have been very ill not to tend to them as best he could. Pretty degusting. That might keep me awake at night.
It is certainly gross; what a reminder to always check for ticks!
A1

Chuck White

If I were you, I "think" I would get a roaring fire going in a burn barrel, then put that poor rabbit on top, partly to get rid of the rabbit, but mostly to get rid of all those ticks!

That would be a lot of ticks to just "turn loose", because they're all going to lay eggs, if turned loose!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

HemlockKing

Quote from: Chuck White on July 15, 2021, 08:48:57 AM
If I were you, I "think" I would get a roaring fire going in a burn barrel, then put that poor rabbit on top, partly to get rid of the rabbit, but mostly to get rid of all those ticks!

That would be a lot of ticks to just "turn loose", because they're all going to lay eggs, if turned loose!
I just tossed it aside the trail, water under the bridge, makes no difference, these rabbits are everywhere. I can find a tick in 2 seconds anywhere here. I just check myself every 2-3 hours. Plus im cutting firewood so I'm shooting lots of chips at my legs, I don't think they climb when I'm being sprayed with pine chips lol . I've never had a engourged tick on me before, I've gotten all of them before they get to blood. I'm quite the paranoia freak in that sense I'm always scaling through my hairline and back neck etc feeling for ticks, I usually feel them as soon as they touch my skin though. 
A1

mike_belben

Wait until you step in a tick bomb and 60 seed ticks are coming up your thigh... 

Starting fluid works best on getting them all off but youll feel crawling all over for a while.

You can use the wild rabbits as magnetic tick killers if youre willing to spend the money on feeders and a treated feed.  I would want @Nebraska to give an opinion on the most economical way. 

You can get all the guineas you want but they arent gonna eat them out of a rabbits ear and those raisinets will be distributing thousands of new seed ticks everywhere they go.  

I would also put out some 5 gallon bucket peanut butter baited water traps for the mice which will also be infested and are a lymes vector. 

Get a bucket, paintstick, sheetrock screw, little metal rod or old tentpole or stick and a fridge magnet.  You make a magnetic diving board by taping the paintstick over the rod to pivot.  The screw goes in the rim of the bucket and the fridge magnet clamps to the end of the paintstick to weight the diving board back down and magnetize to the screw.  Peanut butter the end of the diving board especially underneath so they reach over and get off balance then go swim.  I use a string tied to the sheetrock screw to limit the plunge so that the weight of the magnet auto resets it for the next one.  
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

I seriously don't know how I've avoided the "tick bombs" so far. I've been at er in the woods everyday nearly for a year. Previous to that I still went in the woods often just not falling trees all day. Watch me catch one today now that I mention that. I've heard of the 5 gal bucket trick for squirrels, thankfully nearly all those are gone in my immediate vicinity 
A1

mike_belben

Id never experienced or heard of a tick bomb up north either.  Maybe its specific to the lonestar we have down here.  I rarely see other brands of tick. 
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

So far the trapping rodents, guinea fowl(and others) and permethrin sfr are really good suggestions,  I'm not sure how to bait the rabbits to get the ticks, in that situation, you've got to get them feeding at a consistent place(s) and conditioned to a food source. They are browsers.  Wild rabbits aren't my Forte, I guess tame ones aren't either for that matter, but I try if I have to. You know rabbits are kind of stupid curious that's why those drop down traps work on them, how about cutting about 6 to 8 inch plastic culvert into short sections and making a sponge wick type of thing to spread a Permethrin type product down the rabbits back as it traverses the tube snooping around....It would de tick anything else that went through as well.   A product like the permethrin SFR, or a Permectrin CDS (Bayer livestock insecticide) diluted out with mineral oil could do that. So could the same on rope wicks over salt licks for moose...  Far from a tick expert but the stuff Mike is using on his dog's is about as good as it gets.  The tick bomb / nest thing gives me the "willys", btdt....  I better go get busy..

mike_belben

I didnt even think of a wicked up crawl tube.  

Plant some grass seed or lettuce etc in a small penned sunny spot exclosure with tubes to pass into it.  Drill holesaw holes and hang mopheads or old washcloths full of permetrin with a stubby sheetrock screw to keep the rag in place.  Re-dose periodically with permethrin.  The equine fly sprays are about the cheapest unless you find a sale.  Mosquito halt is still king for me here.  We get wrecked by chiggers if not wearing it this month.
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Found a tiny deer tick(nymph?) on me today, even though it's almost winter, remember to tick check if you've been bush wacking!
A1

thecfarm

Oh yea!! I had one on me a few weeks back, bull eye and all. No idea how long it was there. Was on some meds for a week. Looks good now. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

Ticks were so bad this spring and early summer, but I haven't seen one in months.  I'm so happy I can get out in the woods for a while and not worry bout them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

HemlockKing

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 28, 2021, 06:18:13 PM
Ticks were so bad this spring and early summer, but I haven't seen one in months.  I'm so happy I can get out in the woods for a while and not worry bout them.
I had people over today and they had asked about ticks, I reassured them I haven't seen any since late July, then turns out I had one on me
Not a hour later...and deer tick(lyme). Don't be so sure! It was super small I got lucky that I felt it crawling on my stomach before it got else where and hid... I've been slacking on tick checks too since I just assumed they are gone mostly now
A1

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, I'm sure they're still out there, just not in the numbers we saw earlier.  I still do tick checks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!