iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forum Member on the news

Started by Sixacresand, June 03, 2021, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

The local TV station news was doing a story on lumber prices vs land owner prices.  FF member WDH was a good pick for them to interview.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Raider Bill

Great pick!
Did he use a lot of big words? Lol
Can you get a link?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

We must break from this important story to bring you breaking news.  Our star is denying this story....claims no knowledge of said interview.  

I smell a cover up!!!  We need a commission to investigate this!!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Southside

Maybe I should move this to another area that gets more attention?  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 03, 2021, 09:03:35 PM
Did he use a lot of big words? Lol
Can you get a link?
He did good with his choice of words.   Also showed him operating his tractor and feeding a planer. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Sixacresand

Dan_Shade

WDH must be a bit like Chuck Norris, he scares his trees right past the Sawmill and kiln, and feeds them directly into the planer! 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Roxie

Now we're talking!  We can all say we knew him before he was famous. 

Say when

Magicman

And he speaketh the truth.  Government subsidized planting (CRP) helped to put us in this overabundance of harvest ready trees situation with little market value. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

barbender

I'm always struck by how whenever a subject I am well informed on gets on the news, they definitely report on the subject in a way that you can tell they have no idea what they are talking about...glad they found Danny to bring some knowledge on the subject👍 I'm really not sure why the state forester is telling people to hold of on their harvest, it really does nothing to help the situation and when a pine stand down there is due for a thinning, it's time to get it done🤷🏽‍♂️

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on June 05, 2021, 04:47:53 PM
And he speaketh the truth.  Government subsidized planting (CRP) helped to put us in this overabundance of harvest ready trees situation with little market value.
It's not so much that the trees have no value, it's that there isn't the processing infrastructure locally to go along with the production.
It's taken NZ about 100 years to get a fairly stable plantation pine system functioning. Where businesses will invest in sawmills / pulp and paper factories etc, because they are sure of supply for the next 30 years. Plus the infrastructure is all in place to export bulk logs. 
Not all smooth sailing as markets change over time. A downturn in the US building industry caused a couple of companies problems as they were heavily into supplying the US market with D. Fir. The pandemic closed Chinese ports for a while and disrupted the export scene, but NZ went into lock-down soon after that, and by the time we went back to work it was business as usual. Another local mill was forced to close as they were set up to produce newsprint, and demand for that has plummeted. Mill has been sold to a consortium of new owners who have the capital to convert to packing cardboard, which is in more demand. They can make that investment because there is a 30 year supply of trees growing in the province.  And people can replant because the mill is there and operating. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

The Reporter was at my place for over two hours and I got 20 whole seconds of air time :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Good job Danny.  That's the way it goes.  I have been interviewed many times for the news and if they ask me 20 questions, one question will air on the news and usually not even my whole answer will air, but just the part that fits with the way they are promoting the story.  The last time I was interviewed for the news was about someone finding a bunch of drug needles on the ground and bringing them to the fire house, where I threw them in the dumpster.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Andries

Quote from: WDH on June 05, 2021, 08:22:11 PMThe Reporter was at my place for over two hours and I got 20 whole seconds of air time :D.
If they spelled your name and credentials right - that's good journalism.
Anything else they get right is a bonus.   ;D
Well done Danny.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Maybe they will do an In Depth follow up on your magic tree smoother.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Yeah, you definitely get the impression that Danny the Tree Farmer just grows the trees up to harvestable size, runs them through the tree smoother, and turns them straight into a dining room table😂

WDH

Tree smoother :D.  Hey, if it works, it works. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Good job Danny. They probably didn't understand all the big words he used in the rest of the interview. So they could only show what they could understand. It's not politically correct for them to confuse their audience.  I'm going to sneak over there and see how that tree smoother thing works. I can sell most of the rolling stock and sawmills and just smooth it and sell it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Jeff

It is the mission of the media to confuse.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Never depend on the media to portray an accurate picture of what is really happening. The 'tree smoothing' process is a case in point here. The reporter obviously did not listen to Danny when he explained what he does, or didn't understand him, or didn't care. It's unfortunate they had Danny and a forester in the report, bath of whom could (and probably did) relay the accurate picture, but the reporter got in the way and chopped out the useful information.
 Happens all the time. But Danny did a good job and was clear in what he relayed.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Maybe she used a dictionary, because here is how it defines the verb, plane.

Definition of plane (Entry 2 of 6) transitive verb. 1a : to make smooth or even : level. b : to make smooth or even by use of a plane. 2 : to remove by or as if by planing

So something that makes things smooth would be a smoother, right.   :) :)
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!