iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need help identifying a tree

Started by etd66ss, June 20, 2021, 07:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etd66ss

The bark looks a lot like poison sumac, when I cut into them the wood is very bright yellow on the heartwood is red.

Sure hope it's not poison sumac, or I'm in for a world of hurt soon...  

Glossy Buckthorn maybe?

Blue Noser

etd66ss

It grows like a shrub in bunches, it's why I'm thinking it's not cherry.

BaldBob

When I looked at the pictures of the leaves, berries and inner bark my immediate thought was Cascara. But then I saw your location and thought no, as its native range is the Pacific coast of OR, WA BC & Northern CA. Its still a slight possibility, as Cascara has been used in ornamental plantings. Though I don't recommend trying it, if you chew on a piece of the bark for a few minutes and then have a strong urge to spend time sitting on the porcelain throne, its definitely Cascara.  :D

etd66ss

Well, where I am located, Buckthorn is considered an invasive species (brought from Europe in the 1800's) and should be killed whenever possible. Cascara does look very similar, but the bark is more blotchy than what I am seeing.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

etd66ss

Anyone have experience exterminating this invasive species? Best methods? 

KEC

One recomendation is to cut it in the Fall and paint the stumps immediately with glyphosate based stump killer. If you just cut it it will come back with a vengeance.

bitternut

If you plan on eradicating buckthorn you will be a busy boy, even on a small parcel of land. As KEC suggested cutting it and treating the stub with roundup works well. You don't have to wait for fall though. Once the plant is fully leafed out cut the stem and give the stub a shot of 41 % roundup using a windex type spray bottle. Any time after July 1rst is fine in Niagara County.

Don't be surprised when it reappears though. As fast as you kill it birds and small critters that eat the fruit are busy replanting your property.  :D>:(

etd66ss

Quote from: bitternut on June 21, 2021, 09:10:30 PM
If you plan on eradicating buckthorn you will be a busy boy, even on a small parcel of land. As KEC suggested cutting it and treating the stub with roundup works well. You don't have to wait for fall though. Once the plant is fully leafed out cut the stem and give the stub a shot of 41 % roundup using a windex type spray bottle. Any time after July 1rst is fine in Niagara County.

Don't be surprised when it reappears though. As fast as you kill it birds and small critters that eat the fruit are busy replanting your property.  :D>:(
Hmm, sounds like a lost cause. It's invading any areas where trees have fallen down, which is way more area than I could ever deal with by cutting and spraying the stumps. Dozens of acres...

Clark

Quote from: etd66ss on June 22, 2021, 01:50:40 AM
Hmm, sounds like a lost cause. It's invading any areas where trees have fallen down, which is way more area than I could ever deal with by cutting and spraying the stumps. Dozens of acres...

If that is the case, then so is managing your forest. Buckthorn will form a dense understory and very few, if any, trees can actually grow through it. Saying no to managing buckthorn is to say no to managing (or possibly even having) your forest in the future.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

etd66ss

Quote from: Clark on June 22, 2021, 07:35:54 AM
Quote from: etd66ss on June 22, 2021, 01:50:40 AM

If that is the case, then so is managing your forest. Buckthorn will form a dense understory and very few, if any, trees can actually grow through it. Saying no to managing buckthorn is to say no to managing (or possibly even having) your forest in the future.

Clark
I plan to do the areas where I am pulling out fallen and dead standing Spruce (will re-plant swap oak as the soil is perfect for those), but the rest of my acreage would be quite the never ending battle. There is no monoculture of Buckthorn yet that I have seen. I've owned the land going on 19 years and can't say if the invasion is recent, but so far all the Buckthorn are 2-3" dia max. I have 60+ acres and not sure if the Buckthorn is localized or widespread, will do a survey this fall. 

WDH

I would use Garlon 4.  Here is a link to the label.  Go to page 7 and read the part about the Low Volume Stem Band Bark Treatment (Lake States and North Central).  This will be much faster and more efficient that the cut-spray-stump treatment.  Garlon 4 is labeled to control buckthorn. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

etd66ss

Quote from: WDH on June 22, 2021, 08:17:37 AM
I would use Garlon 4.  Here is a link to the label.  Go to page 7 and read the part about the Low Volume Stem Band Bark Treatment (Lake States and North Central).  This will be much faster and more efficient that the cut-spray-stump treatment.  Garlon 4 is labeled to control buckthorn.
I bought this stuff yesterday: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YM537KJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the cut stump method.
I did look into Garlon 4 but I read that it is not for sale in New York State...

btulloh

Triclopyr is the key ingredient and more effective than glyphosate. Maybe that's the thing that NY doesn't like though. 
HM126

etd66ss

Quote from: btulloh on June 22, 2021, 09:40:08 AM
Triclopyr is the key ingredient and more effective than glyphosate. Maybe that's the thing that NY doesn't like though.
New York State doesn't like its residents to do a LOT of things...

btulloh

:D :D :D :D

I guess that's why we have so many ex-new yorkers living here now. 

VA is trying to become the California of the east though, but at least we can still use triclopyr. For now. 
HM126

etd66ss

Quote from: btulloh on June 22, 2021, 10:19:16 AM
:D :D :D :D

I guess that's why we have so many ex-new yorkers living here now.

VA is trying to become the California of the east though, but at least we can still use triclopyr. For now.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/40961.html

I'll have to do more research. Looks like I might be able to use it here, it just can't be sold here. I'm sure Amazon will ship it to me etc.

btulloh

There are other things that contain triclopyr. Maybe some are available locally. I use a lot of Crossbow because I can buy it my local Southern States in gallons.  Ortho brush killer has triclopyr if you only need a small quantity, otherwise it's a pretty expensive way to go. 
HM126

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: etd66ss on June 22, 2021, 10:24:48 AMI'll have to do more research. Looks like I might be able to use it here, it just can't be sold here. I'm sure Amazon will ship it to me etc.
Don't give up trying different suppliers. I had a similar issue getting solubor last year, many said they could not ship to NY, but then I found others that had no problem with it. After I got it I found an exterminator friend who bought it in 50# sacks and will sell me bulk locally.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!