iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Oak leaf problem?

Started by runmca, July 11, 2021, 08:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmca

hi Everyone-

I have a young (<10 years old) White Oak that the some small 'dots' on the leaves. Any ideas? The last picture is from the underside. Thanks for you help!

mike_belben

Some form of sap suckers or maybe flea beatles. Little black jumpers. 
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

looks systemic, wondering about iron deficiency or fungus among us.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

Actually i think doc is right.  Pests are random and thats got a vane pattern.  Some deficiency or viral thingy.  Out of my league. 
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

out of mine too mike, but there is always a slim chance!.. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Closest my book comes is Anthracnose, but I question my answer.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Clark

I gave up learning more about tree diseases and pests quite some time ago because it's such a small part of my job. However, white oaks tend to get galls, mites, fungus, etc and the tree will look like it's about dead. Give it a year and it will look fine. If not, give it another year. 

Many of the diseases are weather dependent so they crop up one year and then disappear the next. My experience with bur oak around here is to give them time and they are fine.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

mike_belben

Seems pretty accurate to me.  I dont know much.  but every year i have quite a few trees with issues that dont end up dying.

Too much summer rain guarantees brown splotches and leaf loss.    Next summer those trees are back just fine.
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Oak leaf blister. Taphrina caerulescens
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

runmca

Thanks everyone. That makes sense, we had a very wet spring and summer so far this year.

Thank You Sponsors!