iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unfinished projects

Started by metalspinner, August 15, 2021, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

This is typical in my shop. Here is a stack of mitered boxes I started several months ago and set aside because I got distracted by other things. 

Each strawberry flat has two mitered boxes. 
Well, today I was in the mood to work on a few. 
Here are the lid medallions I had started and set aside. 

I taped them all together down on a board so I could sand them with the ROS up through 400 grit. 

I had only to make the mitered lid frame. The pieces are rough cut on the miter saw then finished on the miter trimmer. 

A cool little pile of edge grain shavings. This is a really cool tool. 

I tried something different today. I used CA glue to glue this mitered lid together. So I used making tape along the faces of the frame to keep from making a mess. 

All glued up without too much of a mess. 

Then straight to the table saw to cut some slip feather slots. 

Still plenty of finish sanding to do, but needed to stop for the day. Hopefully it won't be 3 months before I get back to them. 🙄

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

It's way more fun to start a project than it is to finish one.

How do you like that trimmer, is it an old one? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

The trimmer is new and I love it. In fact I started these boxes just to give it a test drive.
I made the auxiliary table it is on. The extended fences let me set up stops for the longer pieces.

Dan_Shade

Where did you find the trimmer?

I like the boxes, I think making mitered frames is a miserable job, but I'm a perfectionist that either never gets it done, or settle for a substandard job. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

The trimmer came from Rockler. But several places sell the same one. And it is very reasonably priced. It came right out of the box super sharp. 

The CA glue gave no chance to adjust the miter joint. Stick it once and you get what you get. 😂

Larry

I really like your "lid medallions", they look so peaceful and serene.  In the picture it looks like they are fairly thin.  Do you make the initial glue up on a thicker board and resaw to get several lids out of one board?

I make lots of boxes, I may borrow your idea :), hope you don't mind.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

metalspinner

Thanks, Larry
Yes, this was a thicker glue up that was resawn. 

I got the idea for this glue up last fall. Mom was in town to see the fall colors and we went each day to the Foothills Pkwy to look out on the vistas. It came to me then that I might be able to replicate the scene with various woods. I talked through the idea with her on the way home each day. 
That visit was the last time I saw her. She passed from Covid the following month. 
If you think of your mom while you work, Larry, I would be honored for you to use it. 😉

firefighter ontheside

These are very nice.  My personal projects often get delayed like that.  I cut out parts for my kitchen island build and then set them on a shelf for like 2 years.  I came back to it though.  I almost bought a miter trimmer at an online auction that I frequent, but I let it go.  I may still buy one someday if I come across another one.  That's a nice table saw you have there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

Very nice. I'm a big fan of unfinished projects, btw.  I seem to have plenty of them. 

(I guess you mean unfinished as in no finish applied yet.  I seem to have plenty of incomplete projects.  :-[  And of course they are . . . unfinished as well.)

Nice trimmer.  Those are really good to have around and faster than a shooting board in most cases. Nice to see they're more widely available now. Used to be the only way to get one was to find an old Lion trimmer and then do a restoration job.  I picked up an original Lion a few years ago from a neighbor that was downsizing. It was in great condition, freshly sharpened knife plus an extra knife also just sharpened. It was a lucky find and great price.

Nice job on the mitres and bevels.  Nice job on the marquetry too.  
HM126

farmfromkansas

I have a couple unfinished projects in my shop, been delayed because of the increase in humidity this year.  My glue up panels warped, and could not cut the grooves b/c of the warp. Been running dehumidifiers in the shop, dumping them regularly, and just the other day discovered a side window had been unlatched, and a small gap had been leaking air into the shop. My wife uses that side window to reach in and get the air hose to air up tires on the mower. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

metalspinner

Texas Ranger

I have an older stand alone trimmer that is handy as a pocket on a shirt.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

metalspinner

VB-Milling

Glad to know I'm in good company regarding incomplete (and unfinished) projects.

I'd say 90% of the incomplete projects for me are planned that way, but not too many people understand that.

Controlled chaos and mitigated mayhem should be nicknames for both my headspace and my shop space
HM126

21incher

I had a mess of them up until this past winter.  I built a CNC router but had no room left  in my shop for it so I gathered  up all the partially finished projects ( some over 30 years old ) chopped them up with  my bandsaw then used them for kindling wood to start the stove. Anything  under 1 x4 x 2 ft long is being chopped up now and put in boxes for this winters fires. I finally  figured out with  a couple thousand feet of wood dried in the barn that I never grab the small pieces anymore because  its easier  to work with  larger pieces and I need the space.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

MS, simply fantastic and inspiring.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

The worst part of sanding is wondering when to stop. 
This is up through 400 grit. 

I've made many of this style box in the past. And always struggled with drilling the hinge pin hole just right. The slightest misalignment drilling will cause the lid to lift crooked. 
This time, I made this simple drill guide that was clamped to the box and drilled by hand. They all came out perfect!

jbjbuild

Beautiful boxes and great craftsmanship! I've never been to interested in learning marquetry, but after seeing these my interest is peaked!
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

I am guilty of excess sanding  :).  Maybe there is a support group for that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Crumpled Fingers Anonymous. 

metalspinner

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Old Greenhorn

Model 73 or a model 94? I have no way to blow that up and look at the parts closer.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!