iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Jar with Threaded Lid - 150 year old wood

Started by hilltopper46, August 10, 2021, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilltopper46

I thought the members of this forum might enjoy this piece. The wood came from a house near Bangor, Iowa (Marshall County) that was built circa 1865 and torn down in the early 2000s. It was from a beam from post and beam construction.

The lid on this little jar is threaded.

Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Farmall 60A with Loader, Grapple and Forks

trimguy

Don P

I had to look back up, oh yeah it does have threads. The ray and grain patterns on that shape were blowing my mind, cool  8)

btulloh

You do good work. Nice piece of turning you got there!  X2 Don P's comment.
HM126

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hilltopper46

Quote from: Larry on August 10, 2021, 08:44:31 PM
Nice job! 8) 8)

Did you chase the threads?
No, I use a threading jig. I've tried chasing threads and I think it would be nearly impossible in this old dry oak.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

samandothers

That is very nice work. As Don stated, I love the orientation of the grain and the rays.  I puzzled over that a bit trying to see what was going on.  IF ya want to make another and don't have a place for that one just send it to me and I'll store it.  ;D

teakwood

Impressive, is there a video how are such threads made? i can't imagine such fine lines cut into wood
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

I'm amazed that you could achieve that level of detail in oak.  Truly outstanding. 

You must have a good approach to sharpening and keep some keen edges on your tools. 
HM126

Lostinmn

Andries

Thanks for showing us that project.
Beautiful work - outstanding!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Tom King

hilltopper46

Quote from: teakwood on August 11, 2021, 08:26:27 AM
Impressive, is there a video how are such threads made? i can't imagine such fine lines cut into wood
I'm not entirely clear on what the rules are for linking to another site.  However, if you go to our woodturning club's website at mawturners dot com, and click on the far right hand tab, the second video down (as of now) is me presenting on the jig and the process at our July meeting.
There are also links to videos at the website of Chef Ware Kits (put those three words together with dot com after). It's called the EZ Jig.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Thank You Sponsors!