iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

13 HP Predator 420cc on norwood

Started by tmrayner, August 23, 2021, 01:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmrayner

I replaced the original B&S 8hp with the HF 420cc engine.  The exhaust blows right on the upright.  Anyone else out there use this engine and replace the muffler?  It also limits my vertical travel.

Crusarius

This was my fix to bad exhaust routing. The way mine was the exhaust pointed directly in my face. I got the pipe from JCWhitney. Think it was $13. It slipped on right over the exhaust outlet then I just hose clamped the spark arrestor on the other end. Was surprising how much quieter it made the engine. I did add the mount tab to stop it from walking off.

Only answer I would have for lost height is to see what you can do to reconfigure the area it is interfering.

Crusarius

oops. guess I should have taken a closer look at the pictures before responding.

Looks like you could add an extension off the head and move the exhaust out. Definitely need to have good bracing though.

tmrayner

Crusarius,

Where did that muffler come from?  Do you have a picture from the other side?

Crusarius

Stock muffler on the 670cc V-twin

I don;t think I have pics from the other side.

mike_belben

Make a deflector from some tin and sheetmetal screw it over the exh screen
Praise The Lord

chet

Quote from: mike_belben on August 23, 2021, 11:34:11 PM
That same honda  engine that motor is a copy of has a deflector shield screwed onto the muffler guard. It can be rotated in any direction. That 2$ honda deflector should bolt right up.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Slingshot

I put one of those engines on a Wood-Mizer LT-10 a few years ago and added some pipe fittings to give more clearance for head travel. I made a bracket to bolt onto the exhaust manifold and another to bolt onto the muffler with a hole to insert a pipe nipple and welded the nipple to the bracket. From there I could insert whatever pipe fittings I needed to position the muffler where I needed it to be.

tmrayner

Quote from: chet on August 24, 2021, 09:25:54 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on August 23, 2021, 11:34:11 PM
That same honda  engine that motor is a copy of has a deflector shield screwed onto the muffler guard. It can be rotated in any direction. That 2$ honda deflector should bolt right up.
The honda deflector was just the magic I was looking for.  The HF motor does not have the threaded holes so I had to weld it on.  Thanks for the great tip

GARose

Quote from: Crusarius on August 23, 2021, 02:25:54 PM
This was my fix to bad exhaust routing. The way mine was the exhaust pointed directly in my face. I got the pipe from JCWhitney. Think it was $13. It slipped on right over the exhaust outlet then I just hose clamped the spark arrestor on the other end. Was surprising how much quieter it made the engine. I did add the mount tab to stop it from walking off.

Only answer I would have for lost height is to see what you can do to reconfigure the area it is interfering.

Bad exhaust routing you make it sound like predator did that on purpose maybe they should put a warning sticker on the engine"if for sawmill use the exhaust is routed bad" 

Crusarius

Wow, who are you and what did I do to you? Yes, I said bad exhaust routing. I never said it was the engines issues. Bad exhaust routing was the way I mounted the engine, I repeat "THE WAY I MOUNTED THE ENGINE"

So I don't know where you come from or who you are, but with only 4 posts I recommend shutting your mouth learning from some of the other great people on this forum and don't just come in and criticize unless you actually have some creative feedback.

Have a good day.

Thank You Sponsors!