iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory? If so, what type?

Started by Old Greenhorn, September 03, 2021, 06:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Reply 43 that first one is a shagbark and reply 45 that second one is a shagbark.
They will start to open up as they dry. Maybe a month.
I only get about 20 nuts from mine. Maybe the squirrels are quicker than me. I did not see any this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I went down yesterday and collected all I could find then came back and sat in the shop doorway and peeled the husks. Wish I could have gotten more. Have not decided what to do with them yet. Maybe hickory butter? I think I got around 50 or so and not sure it's worth it for that small amount. Perhaps I should hunt up some other trees, but the skeeters can be a killer down there right now and in a few weeks, the squirrels will beat me to the rest of them for sure. I still have to pull out those logs.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

etd66ss

So far for me, about 75% of the nuts I forage do not pass the float test. So in reality you probably don't have 50 usable (for eating or planting) nuts.

Old Greenhorn

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

etd66ss

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 16, 2021, 12:44:51 PM
tell us about your float test
Whether it's acorns or hickory nuts, just throw them in a bucket of water, any of them that float will not be edible nor will they germinate, primarily due to insects making their way to the nut meat, but sometimes it's just the seal of the nut shell has been broken and the nut meat starts to rot.

Old Greenhorn

Al_Smith

A hickory nut story for entertainment but it did happen .GMC Enjoy 2002 under a canopy under a shark bark hickory .Danged heater blower getting filled with hickory nut shells .I thought squirrels some how found a way to sneak them in .It's a chore removing the fan being 6 feet tall under the dash. Did it three times .Blocked any entrances off with 1/8" hardware cloth but it turned out to be chipmunks driving me nuts--with nuts .I think I might need some outside cats, fast ones or ferrets, hungry fast ones . 

Crusarius

My critters like to fill the hoods of all my vehicles. so everytime I open the hood all you hear its nuts rolling around.

Don P

They filled the oil bath air filter on my tractor, must have been a strange tasting nut  :D

kantuckid

Quote from: etd66ss on September 16, 2021, 12:55:25 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 16, 2021, 12:44:51 PM
tell us about your float test
Whether it's acorns or hickory nuts, just throw them in a bucket of water, any of them that float will not be edible nor will they germinate, primarily due to insects making their way to the nut meat, but sometimes it's just the seal of the nut shell has been broken and the nut meat starts to rot.
I've done that for many years with walnuts and hickory nuts. I use a wheelbarrow and then dry on shop floor to cure. before cracking. 
The picture above from NY saying it's a pecan? Even here in KY only a hybrid pecan will bear nuts with anything in there. We used to park in a vacant lot in Lexington, KY then walk to the football stadium nearby and the two huge pecans there bear nuts but are worthless to me and the squirrels.
I've cracked many hickory nuts to cook with. You have to be a bit of a willing victim to crack them and pick the nuts. My rack geared walnut cracker easily cracks them but getting those nutmeats out is seriously intensive! If you get even a quarter your doing well, a hlf is nigh on impossible. The larger hickory nuts are way easier but hard to find in my area. 
Out in the woods the competition is fierce indeed as the squirrels begin cutting nuts when way too green for humans and they can sort them on the forest floor. I used to collect them on Morehead St Univ campus then the U cut down my tree cause people complained about the mess on the sidewalk-honestly it *pithed me off as it was a huge, beautiful tree and bothering only a few bitch & moan types. 
On our land we have many hickories as named above but not one truly large nut hickory such as Shellbark/ king nut types. I know where some are but no longer live in/rent the house on that land. They don't taste any better just easier to pick the meats out. 
In a "refrigerator cookie", the type you roll and chill then cut to bake- hickory nuts far exceed pecans in a taste test! They are supremo IMO to eat but a tough nut to crack or pick!!!
I once knew a KY chairmaker who only used what he called "Cherry hickory" wood for all parts of his chairs. I watched him work but never saw one of trees he got it from. The man was actually 96 when I met him and a son  who operated a custom kitchen cabinet shop near Jackson, KY provided his wood as he aged. The other chairmaker I was with trained him to make chairs but was about 10-12 years younger, The 96 yr old was his horseback mail carrier when he trained him long ago. That wood had a heart that was very much the color of cherry and also was milder to work, not nearly as hard as most any other hickory I've seen. I've tried researching hickory to see what that Cherry hickory really is but no luck. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WDH

Just another common name for one of our native hickories with a lot of heartwood.  Probably false pignut, a variety of pignut that was at one time listed as a separate species called red hickory, Carya ovalis. 

https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=826
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

No doubt true but I gotta say that when I was there standing beside the guy with a turned chair post on his lathe it was by far the most reddish hickory I'd ever laid eyes on, as in distinctively different such that I bothered to ask what it was and far from the first hickory wood I'd seen.
 He also commented on how nice it was to turn and all he used- which for hickory is not normal in my experience. I've turned a few pieces on multiple centers to yield tool handles but they were sapwood only. 
Hillbillies who work in the woods the age of the two men I was with sure know a pignut when they see one and call them that way. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!