iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

History of the Forum--how long have you been around the neighborhood?

Started by Paschale, April 16, 2005, 11:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I joined in April 2004. I was building my log cabin and searching for info and help . Don P,  I used your calculations for my ridge pole and king posts in my build. The building inspector questioned me at the time, asked me about the calculations. I told him I got the them from the FF. Of course they are correct I told him. He wanted an engineer stamp. I then ended up with 3 different engineers stamps on the cabin. The log walls, sip roof and of course the Ridge Pole and King posts. Don P was right of course as they are still the same ones I made before the stamps. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

pineywoods

I had to go back and check. To my amazement, I found I have been on here just over 16 years. Then I started remembering the many fine folks who have helped me on life's journey who are no longer with us (WDH being the latest) It's been a good ride, like the old gospel song says, "wouldn't take nothing for my journey now". Thanks Jeff
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Firewoodjoe

I've been 9 years. Been great. I've grown a lot with the help of this forum never been much for social media or people in general I guess but I like it here. And I've now even met a member that has passed. Time is one thing we all need to cherish. Thanks to everyone. 

69bronco

dougtrr2

Sept 2019.  I joined after I hired DPAtton to mill some trees for me.
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

He mentioned this place so I took a look and joined.  Hiring him was one of the best decisions I have made in my very limited woodworking "career".

Doug in SW IA

dgdrls

gspren

When I joined in Oct 2011 I had over 75 acres half wooded and I heated with wood, as of June this year I'm down to about 2 acres with about 1/4 acre wooded and no longer heat with wood, big change. My brother and I still burn about a half cord a year at our cabin so I'm keeping my chainsaws and I'm sure not leaving here.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Sixacresand

Late 2011,  Twelve years.  When I bought my first mill.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Since May of '08, so about 15 years now!

Sold the mill, but still sharpen a few bands for about 4-5 local mills.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DbltreeBelgians

January 3rd of 2013 after lurking here for quite a while

Brent

moodnacreek

Joined in 2017 when I first started using a computer. Joined because I had no one to talk to about sawmilling anywhere near me. Wish I had joined earlier when more members ran circles. However I have met some good guys here who understand what i do and have knowledge to share.

scsmith42

I joined in January 2006 when I bought my first mill.  I'd been kiln drying for 2 years by then.  I'll never forget Tom reaching out via PM to welcome me and encourage me to contribute.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Stephen1

Scott you and I are close. 
I joined in April 2006. I was building my log cabin and looking for info on the build. All I Had ever seen before was books I bought by B Allen Mackie , The guru of Full scribe log home building. 
I progressed to a sawmill after attempting a chainsaw mill, during that build. I obviously wasn't here long enough to be warned about those horrors. 
I am now on my 3rd sawmill and a kiln. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Larry

January 02.

A bunch of us were regular posters on Woodweb and got to know each other their.  Bibbyman sent me pm's several times about joining the FF.  I had been following the FF but almost no activity so I didn't see much reason to join.  Tom was the primary recruiter for the forum and did finally talk me into joining and the rest is history.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Quote from: Stephen1 on June 24, 2023, 03:36:25 PM
Scott you and I are close.
I joined in April 2006. I was building my log cabin and looking for info on the build. All I Had ever seen before was books I bought by B Allen Mackie , The guru of Full scribe log home building.
I progressed to a sawmill after attempting a chainsaw mill, during that build. I obviously wasn't here long enough to be warned about those horrors.
I am now on my 3rd sawmill and a kiln.
We had similar paths.  I started with an Alaskan, then bought a Peterson swing blade, then added Tom's Baker and built a 72" slabber.  
Also have 4 solar kilns, one L200 and the makings of a second L200 that I need to build a chamber for.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

September 2004.Wow, time does fly! I had a passion for chainsaws and  logging and was looking for like minded individuals, @Skeans1 and @donbj are kindred spirits. I have learned a LOT and hope I have been able to contribute to the knowledge base.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kelLOGg

November 2005 - 3 years after getting my mill. Still learning. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fluidpowerpro

Joined 3/17/21 so still a newbie. Bought my first band mill in 2006 and was cutting a lot of wood that resembled boards. Didn't realize how much I didn't know until I joined this forum. Recently someone called me a Sawyer and I flinched a little because I still don't consider myself worthy of having that title. Still so much to learn.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Brad_bb

July 2007 I joined.  First post was trying to identify what turned out to be a thornless honey locust  in my farm yard that was damaged in a storm.  I was trying to see if the large broken branch was useable for woodworking. I didn't end up getting my LT15 mill until 2014. I met Jim Rogers before joining the forum (via the Timber Framers Guild), and he was very generous on FF helping others.  I tried to follow his lead.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!