iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Side supports and log turner are automatically rising

Started by MobileSawMilSlo, November 17, 2021, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MobileSawMilSlo

Hi

On LT35 hydraulic, side supports and log turner are automatically rising when the hydraulic motor is idle and I am cutting logs. They are rising approx. 2 inches per minute and this gives me problems when I need to cut last board. At the middle of the cut, the side supports are so high that I can hit them and destroy the blade.

Did anyone have this experience and how did you solve it?

I was thinking ... this can be related maybe with valve leakage?
Should I replace rubber seals inside?

Thx for any suggestions.

Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

Magicman

You will need to have a seal kit installed in the hydraulic cylinder (s). 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Remle

MobileSawMilSlo

Today I have done one test about this issue.
I switched hoses from the valve which operates with side supports and log turner to another valve (for lifting the log).

The problem remains the same, so this is not the issue with the valve as we were talking.

What I have found out is that the side supports will not automatically raise if the log turner is not activated.
Due to the fact that side supports and log turner are connected with an inline relief valve put on each cylinder (one pcs on cylinder for side supports and another pcs on cylinder for log turner), something is happening here.

This is the inline relief valve I am talking about: https://vonberg.com/products/view/48

Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

Magicman

See Reply #1 above. 

That valve simple allows the side supports to fully raise before diverting fluid to the log turner.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fluidpowerpro

Although not on an LT35, I seen it before where if there is a restriction in the tank line, depending on the center condition of the directional valve, the back pressure will cause a cylinder to extend when you wouldnt expect it. 
If a cylinder has equal pressure on both rod and cap end, it will extend because the cap end has more area. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Crossroads

Quote from: Magicman on November 17, 2021, 04:49:21 PM
You will need to have a seal kit installed in the hydraulic cylinder (s).
Lynn, do you have a suggestion which cylinder to start with? My thought would be the log turner since it does more heavy lifting. Although, my side supports get used for standing up flitches and reverse rolling cants. So, it wouldn't surprise me if I blew a seal on that cylinder. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

The side supports and claw are plumbed so that the side supports have to be fully upright before hydraulic fluid is allowed to flow to the claw through these.  If I remember correctly....

If the side support cylinder leaks back, the back pressure should flow through the above pictured valve and slightly expand the turner hydraulic cylinder and raise the turner claw.

I would rebuild the side support cylinder first, but since all of the cylinders are the same age, I expect that you will soon rebuild it.

Thank You Sponsors!