iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dewalt tools.

Started by petefrom bearswamp, December 15, 2021, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

Thanks for the impact note on removing wheels @Southside it's time to put on the winter tires (actually I'm a bit late) and I've been using the air impact driver for that. It works but a cordless would be nicer.

@Old Greenhorn I got the big Harbor Freight battery-op blower a few weeks ago and I've been very pleased with it, though it doesn't come with the battery, beware. It's been plenty strong to blow stuff away and the battery seems to last enough. It's also easy to blow gently or faster with a turbo button. It's much better than the compressed air gun I was using and not nearly as expensive or maintain-y as a backpack job, though it's probably not that strong either.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

hedgerow

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 15, 2021, 11:50:51 PM
They are absolutely impressive! They make the air impacts collect dust 😂
I run a Dewalt 1/2 18 volt impact and I can't remember the last time I used my 1/2 air impact to change a tire. 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: aigheadish on December 16, 2021, 08:47:19 AM.....
@Old Greenhorn I got the big Harbor Freight battery-op blower a few weeks ago and I've been very pleased with it, though it doesn't come with the battery, beware. It's been plenty strong to blow stuff away and the battery seems to last enough. It's also easy to blow gently or faster with a turbo button. It's much better than the compressed air gun I was using and not nearly as expensive or maintain-y as a backpack job, though it's probably not that strong either.
Funny, I looked at those last night after Howard gave his sales pitch  :D. I think it was around 50 bucks, but did have the velocity of the larger dewalt. When you add the battery and charger your are likely up to the the cost of the dewalt. But they are running a special now: any tool, any battery, and any charger and they will tell you the price at checkout, so I don't know what the actual cost is. The big dewalt puts out, I think 450CFM or was it 600? The HF one was around 200 I think.
 I have found that blower very handy for 2 things: Cleaning off the mill at the end of the day and stoking debris fires (bark, chips, and scraps left after firewood sessions. I grab a long piece of any steel pipe or tubing, chive it in the bottom of the fire, put the blower on low and let 'er rip. Saves a lot of time. Still I am frugal and I am having a hard time convincing myself that those 2 uses are worth it. We have an electric one at the mill is always plugged in, so you just grab and blow, but the brushes and/or bearings in that are starting to go. So many tools and toys and not enough money.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

I've got the 80v, 150mph blower (they claim 605 cfm), the battery/charger appears to be another 130 bucks or so, so it's close to $260 or so for the whole kit, a bit expensive I guess, I don't have any other 80v tools either. I'd been looking at them and almost buying the cheap corded model they have about a thousand times and ended up getting the "good" one. They are great for stoking the fire! We have the tendency to have pretty big burns a few times through the year that have ashes that stay going for several days. The last one we had I went out there two days later and got it ripping again. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

petefrom bearswamp

Started out with Makita 9.6.Still have one I leave at camp.
I think I had 3, dropped 2 and they didnt like the sudden stop at the end of the drop.
Then bought a Ryobi kit with flashlight, recipro saw, 5-1/2 inch circular saw, drill and scroll saw.
Still use all but the circular saw, the recipro is for butchering deer, the others use as needed.
Had to upgrade to lithium batteries several years ago and one is acting up now.
Also have a ridgid drill with a lifetime warranty on even the batteries.
Have had several batteries replaced and one charger, but the nearest Place for warranty is about 75 miles away, kind of inconvenient
All this in addition to my DeWalt stuff.
I still use my I R pneumatic thunder gun and a 3/8  air wrench quite often.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Old Greenhorn

Geez Pete! Make up your mind! :D :D :D ;D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

stavebuyer

I have had a Stihl hand-held gas blower since 2010. I bought the wife the battery version. While the battery is very handy it won't come close to the gas version. 

The Dewalt 20V 1/2"' Impact is indeed impressive. No compromise at all with that tool. 

Walnut Beast

The Dewalt stuff has treated me really well . Only problem was a small radio charger the radio controls went out. Out of all the saws, drills, blowers and so on. The oscillating tools are amazing for so many different things . Have two one with a carbide blade for metal and one for wood. Many different things you can do and put on. Sand, clean, scraper and many cutter blades

Magicman

I only have Ridgid 18v tools here at home to keep the battery platform the same.  Craftsman 19.2v at the farm, again to use tools that I have plus keeping the batteries the same.

The outdoor/garden tools are Ryobi 40v.

I have not had any problem with the Ridgid but because of the success that Grandson Ben has had, if I was buying new today, it would all be DeWalt.  That ½" impact wrench will knock your nuts off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

Before I started buying Milwaukee cordless tools for the mechanic shop, I bought a Makita  1/2" impact driver.  I keep it in the truck, but will get it for use in the mechanic shop.  I drive the truck over there anyway, and it must be less trouble to get it out of the truck than to drag out an air hose, because I don't remember using a regular air impact since then.

The Makita 1/2" can handle the lugs on the dually with no issue, and it also gets used for running in large lag bolts on a house job.

I did use the air ratchets after buying that, when I had a tight quarters situation, but since buying this, the air impact ratchets have stayed in the drawer.

M12 FUEL 3/8" Right Angle Impact Wrench | Milwaukee Tool

mike_belben

All milwaukee fuel here.  If i had a delorean, the tools and phone camera are the only gadgets id bring back with me. Oh ..And the ninja blender.

An 18v fuel drill can bore 1-1/4 holes.  That was reserved for 2hander gear drive monster AC drills 20 years ago.  The fuel will break your thumbs just as quick too. 
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

Make up my mind?
What fun would that be
Variety is the spice of life, except for women of course
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Old saw fixer

I have only two battery tools, my Stihl battery saw and a 12 volt Milwaukee 3/8 drill.  All my impact tools are pneumatic since my work experience dates from 1968 up.  There weren't any battery tools available other than the first battery screwdrivers, and those came into use during my chainsaw repair days.  My corded electric tools are all Makita.  Any future additions/replacements will be Milwaukee Fuel battery tools.  I'll start with adding a 3/8 impact for small engine teardown.  

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

mike_belben

the M12 impact in 3/8s is great.  when new it took the lugs off my dually. 

the M18 half inch impact i got my dad smokes my snapon CT3850HO and it was half the price years later. someday i will have a 3/4 milawaukee impact. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Quote from: mike_belben on December 17, 2021, 12:37:16 PMsomeday i will have a 3/4 milawaukee impact. 

Why? You planning to alter the rotation of the Earth or something? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Quote from: mike_belben on December 17, 2021, 09:34:19 AM
All milwaukee fuel here.  If i had a delorean, the tools and phone camera are the only gadgets id bring back with me. Oh ..And the ninja blender.

An 18v fuel drill can bore 1-1/4 holes.  That was reserved for 2hander gear drive monster AC drills 20 years ago.  The fuel will break your thumbs just as quick too.
The SuperHawg has a clutch to save your thumbs if you put it in back gear. Not sure how big a hole it will drill.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Stephen1

I have 18 volt dewalt tools. I was given 9 tool combo years ago. I have now upgraded to li-ion 18volt batteries off of Amazon. $50 a battery and they charge in my old chargers. So far they have lasted over a year. Better than the ni-cad forsure. They allow me to keep using these tools. I use the 1/2 impact for my FAOR . Works great. I just welded a bolt to my big flat deck trailer jack. Turned it into a power jack. . I am also thinking of welding a nut on my hydraulic blade tightener instead of the flip handle. Any one done that yet?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Dave Shepard

I think Bibbyman did, but only used a wrench.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

I want to say Bibbyman had done something like that, maybe it's in the useful mods thread? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside on December 17, 2021, 01:47:46 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on December 17, 2021, 12:37:16 PMsomeday i will have a 3/4 milawaukee impact.

Why? You planning to alter the rotation of the Earth or something? :D
Yeah actually.  Spin this sucker back to 85 marty. 
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

Rigid here. Lifetime warranty on tools and batteries. That's why i went there many moons ago. If not for the warranty, it be red
Necessity is the engine of drive

firefighter ontheside

I was working in my shop yesterday and took note of all of the corded Dewalt tools I have.  It's many more than the number of cordless.  I have a biscuit cutter, random orbit sander, track saw, planer, two 12" double bevel miter saws, pancake compressor and maybe more, but that's what I can think of right now.  I've never had a problem with my corded tools.  I had another dewalt planer for over 20 years and it ran great the day I sold it.

ps.  I just found a 4" angle grinder too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Corley5

Milwaukee Tools is owned by Techtronic Industries which also owns the Ryobi brand license and has other brands in its portfolio as well. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

This'll do a 3 9/16" hole in concrete :) 8)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Al_Smith

All my DeWalt stuff was given to me when I retired all 18 volt .In the last three years since a majority of the batteries have degraded .I have maybe 4 good ones from 10 or 12 .So it's a matter of replacing the defective  cells if I find the time .I looked it up on You Tube and it doesn't look like it's that big of a deal .

Thank You Sponsors!