iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern range of Black Walnut.... Ocala, FL???

Started by Wal Nut, February 27, 2022, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wal Nut

Thought this might interest some on the forum as I had no idea Walnut grew this far south. 

Got a call from a friend who has a 2nd home in Ocala, FL. Said they had a black walnut tree that was not doing well and wanted it removed. This was a win-win since they saved $ on tree removal and I wound up with some nice lumber. 

This was about 28" at the butt end with some very nice figure. There was some punkiness from damage further up but there was a good amount of usable lumber here.

WDH

Black walnut does not naturally range that far south in Florida.  The tree was surely a planted ornamental. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Definitely walnut, but I wonder if being out of range it's not English (planted for the nuts) or one of the Central American species?

We have Black, English and Japanese walnuts here in NZ, all introduced obviously. The Japanese ones have naturalised and are starting to be considered invasive.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Wal Nut

While I can't speculate on the origin, there are other trees on the property and neighboring properties. 

Southside

I was actually more surprised to see the stone wall in the background.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

metalspinner

An original tree was probably planted as an ornamental. The squirrels planted the rest. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ron Scott

Yes, squirrels are great in planting walnut, and they will plant them where they want them.
~Ron

KEC

Never underestimate the extent of people acquiring trees, plants, birds, etc from all parts of the world so that they can be the only kid on the block to have one.

Southside

The squirrels are pretty amazing to watch bury a walnut.  Have seen plenty in the yard just a few feet from the window dig a hole, bury one, cover it up and instantly you can't tell where it was.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I dumped a half a big grocery bag of wormy chestnuts outside our housing unit on USMC housing in Quantico in 1977 and watched a gray squirrel frantically burying them. He'd grab one, run 6' and bury it, grab another and run 75 yards to the other side of the wood line and bury it and return. He did that till they were all gone. He had no rhyme or reason to where he buried them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Wal Nut

Quote from: KEC on March 01, 2022, 08:31:21 PM
Never underestimate the extent of people acquiring trees, plants, birds, etc from all parts of the world so that they can be the only kid on the block to have one.
We are rapidly becoming one huge ecosystem

beenthere

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 02, 2022, 12:35:04 PM
  I dumped a half a big grocery bag of wormy chestnuts outside our housing unit on USMC housing in Quantico in 1977 and watched a gray squirrel frantically burying them. He'd grab one, run 6' and bury it, grab another and run 75 yards to the other side of the wood line and bury it and return. He did that till they were all gone. He had no rhyme or reason to where he buried them.
The squirrels find them by smell. Suspect some think they remember where they buried them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

They are having a hard time now digging through the ice layer from last week's ice storm. Saw one a couple days ago really digging hard for a buried acorn.
~Ron

moodnacreek

Poorly formed, unhealthy black walnut trees [that have some diameter] can yield some nice lumber unlike most other hardwoods. People see walnut as a beautifully grained dark wood but there is another beauty; with walnut slanted grain is not the problem to work like in other woods.

caveman

I have seen a few growing I Polk County, Fl., which is about 90 miles south of Ocala.  There was one at Kathleen Middle School's land lab (Polk Co.) but it died a few years ago.  I should have sawed it, but it was not really big enough for the effort to go cut it.  I assume one of the ag teachers planted it as it is one of the trees on Florida's FFA forestry list.  There are white oaks, spruce pines, Florida Maples, and spruce pines growing in Lakeland city parks.  We are south of the natural range for all of those species, as far as I know.

We are evidently north of the range for mango trees at my house.  We have some in pots and one five-year-old volunteer, likely squirrel planted, get killed to the ground a month or so ago due to cold.  The potted ones are fine. I moved them into the shop on the cold nights.  15-17 miles away, in the neighborhoods surrounding the school where I work, the mango trees are thriving and only had a few leaves burned by the cold.

Nice walnut!
Caveman

Wal Nut

Quote from: caveman on March 05, 2022, 12:57:57 PM
We are evidently north of the range for mango trees at my house.  

It's funny you mention mango. The day after the walnut find I had to unload so I could go grab a mango out of a backyard. When I loaded it there were still some smaller walnut branches on the trailer and I wondered if I'd ever see fresh cut logs of both species on the trailer at the same time again. 

Thank You Sponsors!