iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lead time on WoodMizer LT35HD

Started by WillisHomestead, April 28, 2022, 04:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillisHomestead

I placed an order for a LT35HD back in December of 21, was told that I could look to see it around February of 23. I called WM the other day just wanting to see if that lead time had shrunk any.......guys tells me it will be May of 23 before they start on it. Depressing to say the least. Not finding any used models out on the market either. Sucks having to wait this long  :o

tacks Y

There was one on the bay that sold today, 26k 2011 and 1000hrs. Probably worth the wait to have a new machine.

tacks Y

Did see a 2011 LT70 in Ky for 40k. On East coast loggers.

SawyerTed

On the other hand, it could be next year!  My January order for an LT 50 has been listed as May '23, then it moved to July '23.  Now the website links don't let me look.   :o :o
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SawyerTed on April 28, 2022, 07:34:46 PM
On the other hand, it could be next year!  My January order for an LT 50 has been listed as May '23, then it moved to July '23.  Now the website links don't let me look.   :o :o
Read that post again Ted. Unless this vertigo has also affected my comprehension skills, I think it IS next year.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

Yep, I miss read the original post.  The OP and I are in the same boat.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Maine Miller

Saw one for sale on CL in my area last week with 60 hours on it for $26,500.
Needless to say....it didn't last long

WillisHomestead

I know every time I see one for sale it's either gone or they want way to much for it. I have a lot of time for planning though!

SawyerTed

I've talked to two Wood-mizer representatives, one from the corporate office and my dealer.  Both said pretty much the same things.

1.  Lead times will shorten.
2.  The manufacturing facility is running at full capacity
3.  Engines and fuel tanks are the major shortage items.  Kohler and Yanmar have large demand from manufacturers of other equipment.
4.  Engines and other parts come in in big batches so big batches of various models get completed and shipped based on parts availability.  

The dealer said he had two deliveries of sawmills in one day recently.  It was a first for him.

DanMc

I placed an order for an LT35HD back in Feb of '22.  At that time, they said "60 weeks" lead time.  Last I checked the delivery was claimed to be mid June '23 (NEXT YEAR).  That's a bit more than 60 weeks.  I'll be pretty happy if it shows up at that time.  I'd be happier if it came this year, but I'll take what I can get as long as it doesn't slip out further.  

So I find now that I'll take down a tree or come across a nice big free log and say to myself: "Let's wait for the LT35 for this one."  Unless it's white pine, then I'll do it immediately on the HM-126.  

I'm adding a second bedroom onto our place up in NH.  It would be nice to cut my own wood, but I found a guy 10 miles away that will supply all the wood I need.  His full time job is a millwright at Hancock Lumber, and he sells his own lumber milled on weekends using an LT35HD.  Comforting to see somebody doing well with the same mill I'll have soon (hopfully).  I think that some weekend this summer I'll drive over there and volunteer off-bearing time just to enjoy watching him run it.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

DanMc

...and while I wait for the LT35HD to arrive, I'll have to settle for the LT40.  Sorry I have it bad.

LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

alecs

I was looking at Woodmizer (quoted 50 weeks lead time), TimberKing (said taking orders for 2023-4) and Norwood (didn't respond to my inquiry).  I ended up getting the biggest Woodland Mills saw, the HM130 Max, on trailer with track extension, and it shipped within 4 weeks of my order.  Just finishing putting it together, hope to make sawdust this weekend.  

This is my first mill, although I have hired a couple of traveling Woodmizers over the years.  My thought was, get one (even if smaller than I was originally thinking, and no power feed or up/down), see how I like it, and if I find that I really need one of the "big boys", maybe they will be available by the time I outgrow the Woodland.  This is for personal use, so looking at the tradeoff between lead time, price, and features, this was my path.   

We'll see what happens.  So far, I've been pleased with the assembly of the Woodland.  For a "hobby" mill, it seems relatively well thought out and the assembly directions were easy enough to follow for someone who is reasonably handy.  My interactions with customer service thus far have been good, which makes a difference in my mind.  

Excited to start cutting.  

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: alecs on May 04, 2022, 05:20:41 PM
 This is for personal use, so looking at the tradeoff between lead time, price, and features, this was my path.  

My interactions with customer service thus far have been good, which makes a difference in my mind.  

I think you made a real good decision.   Better a temp compromise and get sawing and learning than to sit on your hands for a loooonnnngggg time waiting for the Wood Mizer.  
Show us some pics of the new mill when you can. I'm interested to see what you think of it.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

anchorhd

I just called on a LT35 hydrolics.  
Was told anything hydrolic was 66 weeks out.

DanMc

Quote from: alecs on May 04, 2022, 05:20:41 PMI was looking at Woodmizer ....

Sorry, it's probably too late for you.  You are infected.  The vaccine is orange.  Get in the queue now for hydraulics.  It's a no-risk investment.  
I think that Woodland Mills should be getting sales commissions from Woodmizer.  
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

DanMc

I placed the order for my LT35HD on Feb 14 of this year.  At that time, they said 60 weeks.  First time I checked on delivery, they said mid-June '23.  Today I called to add a spare tire and the hydraulic side support update.  They promised me that this change would not affect my delivery date, which is now estimated to be OCTOBER '23.  Utter madness.  

They better not delay much more or they'll be losing money on it due to inflation.  The delay is said to be all about Kohler engines.  
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

Crossroads

I was on a mobile job Tuesday and my customer was on the phone. He shut me down and asked what a new lt35 is worth. I laughed and said  "about 5k over what it's listed for on the Woodmizer site and it will be sold before dark". Apparently someone received their new mill and was told by upper management that they couldn't keep it. I have a feeling the market for new/used mills is preparing to open up. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

summit154

I ordered a LT40 in March 2021. I was initially told February 2022. Just picked it up last week. 15 month wait.

trimguy

Congratulations, now the fun begins!

tacks Y

Quote from: summit154 on July 07, 2022, 03:30:56 AM
I ordered a LT40 in March 2021. I was initially told February 2022. Just picked it up last week. 15 month wait.
Welcome aboard, summit.

John Brabant

I guess misery does like company as the saying goes.  So as an FYI, I ordered a Cook 3238HD mill back in March 2021.  I was told the wait time that used to be 5 weeks is now 60 weeks and the mill should be ready for pick up mid-June 2022.  I am still waiting for the mill.  The hold up?  I have been told that Kohler is not keeping with demand for a number of reasons, including that they have moved their operations to Mississippi.  Last I checked (last week) I was told that they have no idea when (if?) they will start receiving engines. The other issue is that there are many, many already built mills that were ordered ahead of my order that are waiting for engines, so they could receive a number of engines tomorrow, but unless they receive enough to install on the mills that are ahead of me and one more for me, I will continue to wait for an indefinite time period.  To say this is a bummer would be an understatement, but it is in no way the fault of the Cook Saw Company.  I feel particulary bad for the owners as they don't receive payment for all the mills they have manufacture until they are finished and the deposits they have taken are far short of the cost of manufacture of the mills.  I also worry how long a small family business can sustain this situation.  I am now on the hunt for another source of an engine to power the mill in the hopes that I can get one sent to them for my mill.  Anyone have an in with Kohler and can get me a 38 hp EFI engine for the mill I believe that has already been build for me, please let me know. I am thinking even a lightly used engine to fit would be fine at this juncture.

Maine Miller

Another 35 just popped up for sale locally for only $32k. They say there is a sucker born every minute I guess

foxman350

I'm a new guy looking into possibly buying a woodmizer LT15(with trailer) or an LT28.  Based on what I see here in this post would I be wise to purchase a slightly used model vs having to wait a year upon ordering? Or is the extended wait times just for the larger units?

Magicman

Welcome and please fill out your profile information so that we will know and remember. 

To answer your question I would give Wood-Mizer a call, but I suspect that there is not too much difference between sawmill models and wait time.  I read somewhere that most of the holdup is engine availability.

Yes, used sawmills do occasionally become available but you must act fast to snag one and sometimes you can expect to pay new sawmill prices.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Quote from: Maine Miller on September 19, 2022, 12:04:52 PM
Another 35 just popped up for sale locally for only $32k. They say there is a sucker born every minute I guess
Sucker??  Who is that?  The seller or the buyer, or would-be-buyer?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!