iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with borer holes on Beech tree in NH

Started by cwilliams2000, July 29, 2022, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwilliams2000

Hello, I just moved into this house and on this great old Beech I noticed a lot of dead branches which seemed odd. Plenty of good healthy growth and the top of the tree looks good but then I saw the holes all over the trunk. Wondering what the best course of action is for this. I am not sure what type of bug this is or how to treat it. I do have some Acelepryn and Demand CS on hand and it seemed like Acelpryn is rated for bark treatment but I am not an expert and wanted to see what you think is happening with this old tree. Thank you in advance.

Old Greenhorn

First, welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy your time here. Second, fill out some of your profile data, particularly where you are in general. This will help the experts narrow in on what is active in your area. The Yukon is not the same as Mississippi. :D
 I am not one of the experts, they will be along shortly as happy hour begins. But particularly in reference to your fir photo, that sure like like sapsucker holes to me, not bugs. If I'm right, not to worry, it won't hurt the tree. I have a WO with these lines all around it and it's doing just fine.
 Now let's wait and see what the experts have to say.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

Again, welcome to the forum.
Are you sure that that is a beech tree.
Mine look a lot different.
If it is maple then I agree with OG.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Blue Noser

Those look like yellow-bellied sap sucker holes. The bird pecks hole in the bark, the sap that the holes produce draws in bugs, the bird returns to feed on the bugs.

beenthere

Think Blue Noser nailed this one, being looks like sap suckers.

The bark, not so much like beech but sometimes age has an effect. How about a leaf or two? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

It is definitely not beech.  Bark reminds me of mulberry.  A leaf will certainly confirm its identity. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!