iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wire Brushing My Ball and Other Trailer Maintenance

Started by SawyerTed, September 16, 2022, 12:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

If you are are like me, somethings get overlooked like rusty balls....um for hitches, for um pulling various trailers.  :D :D

The ball and coupler are what provides the ground for lights and brakes, of course.  A rusty ball causes a bad ground and squirrelly light and brake functions.  

Forty years ago, keeping the hitch ball clean was the last thing on my mind when getting the boat trailer of other trailer hitched to go somewhere.  Then the lights wouldn't work right and I knew they did when I parked the trailer.  A period of fussing and wiring diagnosis followed and the lights were still squirrelly acting. 

Then when I whacked my leg on a rusty ball hitch a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) hit me!  Wire brush my balls...um for hitches for pulling trailers.  

A lot of lights get their ground from their mount. This is another place to look for light problems.  

I grease my ball (I know  :D) on the travel trailer hitch and keep a cover on it.  Do occasionally grease the couplers on other trailers but apparently not often enough to keep the balls from rusting.

Too many of us overlook simple stuff "and we are suffering and don't know it."  A Yellowhammerism.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

Maybe I should be brushing my balls but never had the ground issue. Usually I just let normal usage clean my balls to an acceptable degree. I suppose I'm just lazy but so far so good. 
HM126

YellowHammer

I agree, ain't nothing like busting shins on rusty balls. :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

many electric couplers have a ground.  it is almost always the ground that causes the problem with 12v systems.  I assume the "part" is in the middle when you brush your balls.  :)   :o   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

Right on, Doc.  The center electrode is the key to successful coupling. 
HM126

terrifictimbersllc

Ball coupler instructions for my boat trailer specify a minimum ball diameter below which presumably a ball should be discarded. I don't know if anyone monitors this or obeys it.I'm sure you don't want your ball to fall out of where it is supposed to be.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 16, 2022, 12:21:58 PMThe ball and coupler are what provides the ground for lights and brakes, of course.
Actually the ball connection should not be the only grounding source.  All trailer wiring pigtails have a white ground wire which should be connected to both the tow vehicle and the towed trailer, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

:D :D

Most 4 and 5 wire trailer light systems have a white ground wire attached to the trailer for ground.  I've never seen ground wires run to lights from the plugs.  That's been true on every trailer I've owned.  Light grounds are typically connected to the frame. 

If the ground on the vehicle and the ground in the trailer aren't common through the hitch, lights and brakes won't get full voltage from the tow vehicle. 

Six and 7 pin RV and heavier trailer light/brake systems do use the 1 pin in the plug to get the ground.  But the trailer frame and vehicle ground need to be at the same potential, connected through the hitch.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

true, they attach to the metal frames truck and trailer but span the hitch and ball.  but often the light do not work for the first mile or two.   ;)  most trailer lights use the mounting studs as their connection to the frame and common/ground.  if is really the neg. return to the battery for a circuit.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

Ok, I'm no too old and proud to admit I can learn something new!  I have now seen grounds run to the lights on a trailer!  On my new boat trailer!  

I took a stroll around the yard and looked at the six trailers here right now.  Five have a ground wire to the frame.  One, mentioned above, has ground wires run from the plug to the lights AND a ground to the trailer.  

Most light kits are like the one below. Short white ground wires with the instructions as pictured, a white ground to the frame. 

My nes boat trailer with grounds to the lights.  

A friend of mine compares trailer lights to women "They are among the most exasperating wonders of the world!"

doc henderson

It looks aluminum.  I bet they are finding that the metals in the light studs, and aluminum end up with corrosion/electrolysis and have even more problems.  a few strands of copper wire might decrease some frustration, especially with metal immersed in water and even salt water, and set half the year.

doc henderson

btulloh

Just reiterating what MM said, the ball is definitely not a necessary or desirable part of the ground connection to the trailer frame. If it seems to be necessary to make your lights work, that would indicate a problem in the wiring or trailer connector. If, for instance, the ground wire connection between the harness and trailer frame is bad the trailer frame may pick up a ground from the ball and hitch, but that would be iffy at best.  There's too much paint, etc in the hitch ball//coupler/receiver etc to count on a ground connection through the hitch.  Ideally, a squirt of oil or a bit of grease should be applied to the ball occasionally. (Or just rely on the rust to reduce friction like I do. lol )
HM126

scsmith42

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 16, 2022, 12:21:58 PM
  Wire brush my balls...um for hitches for pulling trailers.  

You're tougher than I am....    :D
Every one of my trailers has a dedicated ground wire - both on the tow vehicle end as well as the trailer end.  On the trailer side, the ground wire from the connector is attached to the trailer frame.
I have no issues with flickering lights...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

K-Guy

I think he just likes talking about balls!! Just sayin'   smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Southside

There are specialty shops you can go to for this type of maintenance.  Not sure on pricing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TroyC

I wired a trailer recently with the white ground connected to the frame. White light housing wire connected to trailer frame at rear.  Plugged it up and lights were intermittent. Discovered that where the trailer rails bolted together there was enough corrosion in the joints to not pass a decent voltage. Ran a ground from white at front of trailer to rear ground and everything is good. Learn something new everyday!

Jim_Rogers

Speaking of trailers and such.
Yesterday, I was helping a family member move and had a flat on my bobcat trailer:

My stepson in law had a jack, which I didn't have with me. And we got it up and off.
Next, we had to use the on-board spare:

Beautiful spare been on the mounting bracket since I bought the trailer. Secured with a locking lug nut. 

Key won't open the lock. I guess I've got to use some blue creeper on it and see if I can get it to open up.

I had to take the flat to the tire store and buy a new tire because we couldn't get the spare free from the bracket.
Jim Rogers
No balls were hurt during this busting experience.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Yes, the white wire should be connected to the trailer frame and most trailer lights have no actual ground wire so the light housing is grounded through the mounting bolts. 

The vehicle pigtail, etc. white wire has to be connected to the vehicle frame.

The trailer lights should work properly without the trailer being coupled to the vehicle ball.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

I agree with Magic, when I work on trailer lights I usually don't hook the trailer to the ball and I have some of the nicest balls there are.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Tom King

My first boat trailer was for an inboard ski boat.  You had to back it in the water to get the boat on and off.  I took it to college with me the last year, and used it in saltwater.  I didn't know much about mechanical, or electrical stuff back then (early 1970's).  Florida cops didn't think much back then of a trailer without working lights.

With all the trouble I had with the wiring on that trailer, every single trailer I've had since then gets rewired soon after I get it.  Every light has a wired ground, wiring is tin coated copper marine wire, all connections are soldered with rosin core solder,  covered with 3M 33+ electrical tape with silicone sealant over the tape (for the ones before I ever saw heat shrink tubing with sealant inside (what I've used since it came out).

I haven't had trailer light problems since that first one.  It had the common copper coated steel trailer wire using the ball as the ground.

21incher

Don't forget to torque your nuts often also. Last thing you want to do is loose a nut on the road. Also a good idea to protect your stud because when dipped in water your nuts can rust to your studs making their removal painful. A quick spray of cosmoline can keep those nuts moving freely later. Blue creeper can provide relief should your nuts get really gooed up with rust. Sometimes rusty balls are the least of your problems. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SawyerTed

"Should" is an important word.  The white wire "should" provide ground but doesn't  
always.  

Today I ran the light test in my truck with the boat trailer.  I got intermittent results. The only change was wire brushing the hitch ball and cleaning the coupler.  The lights worked perfectly. 

A Goggle search will confirm that ground between the tow vehicle and trailer does occur through the hitch ball.  

sawguy21

I have never relied on the ball and coupler to provide a connection, I use the white wire on the connector to couple the trailer ground to the tow vehicle. For some reason one of my fifth wheel travel trailers needed the house battery hooked up for the trailer external lights to work, never figured that one out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

Shuttling stuff around the site a week or two ago, I was just walking toward the rear of the dump trailer to spot it backing in when I thought he hit the gas. Nope, the truck was still but the trailer was backing down the hill pretty fast. So, no chains on and I hate it when a ball slips out of the hitches. There's 42 bags on a pallet of quicrete, even when they are not on the pallet ::).

Thank You Sponsors!