iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opening face

Started by kelLOGg, September 21, 2022, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I know there are a million posts about this topic but I ran into a complication today on the hemlock I have posted lately, hence another post. When the tree was felled one of the logs got a crack perpendicular to the natural crack one sees going through the pith. The crack due to the felling was much larger (sorry, no pics) than the pith crack and went completely across the log at about 1/5 from the diameter on a 20" diameter log. The pith cracks were small and were about 1/5 of the diameter long but, of course, at the diameter. I had to choose which crack to saw parallel to and I chose the felled crack because it was so much bigger. Ended up with long narrow centered cracks in many 12" wide board. I assume I made a bad decision. Is there a general criterium to go by in such a case? 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fluidpowerpro

I would have probably done the same thing. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes the tree has the game rigged.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Southside

I would have done the same thing, part of the issue might just be it's Hemlock growing outside of its preferred range.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Southside, sometimes I think of you as a hemlock outside of its preferred range😁
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

You ain't kidding. Especially this summer.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

Depends on what your finished product size needs to be. If you have to make 1x12 you did what you had to do. If grade sawing hardwood I would have put the cracks at a 45° of the blade and edged them off and just had a little narrower board. Same with if you could have used narrower boards than the 1x12s
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

I was cutting paneling for a customer's barn/shop. I could have used narrower boards but I already had enough of them so I was fixed on 12s. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Yup, you turn the log to maximize the customer's cut list.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!