iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making Pegs on the Shaper

Started by timberframe, January 31, 2023, 07:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberframe

I mentioned this before so I figured I should share the video when I finally got it done!  This is how I go about making pegs from shop scraps.  Very quick once you're set up and good reliable results.  

https://youtu.be/uZBPMup5YDo

B

Larry

Good job on the video!

I'm into shapers.  Break through fences, climb cutting, HSS insert cutters, pattern work, and other weird stuff.  Funny, sometimes folks exit the room when I fire up my SCMI at 10,000 rpm.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Andries

Yes Larry, you really are into shapers!
Nice holding/template jig. 👍
Let's hope that a monster multi-bit blade like that doesn't decide to 'burp one of these days.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Don P

There is a pile leaned up in the shop that I keep threatening to feed to the stove but cannot seem to bring myself to do. Just about identical looking and sounding. This would satisfy my conscience,
and the rest would burn brighter  :D

timberframe

Quote from: Larry on January 31, 2023, 10:16:23 PM
Good job on the video!

I'm into shapers.  Break through fences, climb cutting, HSS insert cutters, pattern work, and other weird stuff.  Funny, sometimes folks exit the room when I fire up my SCMI at 10,000 rpm.

Hey Larry, that breakthrough fence is great and is more like what I use on the big shaper.  The big machine is better suited to breaking through as the fences slide back in dovetail slots in the table.  I won't tell you how I broke through the fence in the video ..but you'll notice I didn't show it!   ;D
I haven't done a tenon off the shaper in years now, the shaper makes it so fast and clean!  Lots of shaper stuff on the channel and more on my Instagram.

timberframe

Quote from: Andries on January 31, 2023, 10:22:16 PM
Yes Larry, you really are into shapers!
Nice holding/template jig. 👍
Let's hope that a monster multi-bit blade like that doesn't decide to 'burp one of these days.
Yes, that is a nice holder!  I sold my Byrd head in favor of a taller, low kickback design block for template machining the arch in braces.  The grey block, furthest one back.

timberframe

Quote from: Don P on January 31, 2023, 10:39:35 PM
There is a pile leaned up in the shop that I keep threatening to feed to the stove but cannot seem to bring myself to do. Just about identical looking and sounding. This would satisfy my conscience,
and the rest would burn brighter  :D
Do it!  It's fun and rewarding and even though our time making pegs is valuable and buying might make "more sense" (whatever that means) I don't care....I like the personal satisfaction of doing a lot of stuff myself and that's good enough for me.

Thank You Sponsors!