iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Fatwood" Fire Starters--what kinda wood are they?

Started by Paschale, November 29, 2005, 11:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pullinchips

Dang,

I've seen knots like that on old rotted pines that grew up threw barbed wire. rest of the tree rotted and left pieces like that on the barbed wire.

Turpentinning, vey good book, called treasures of the longleaf forests of something to that effect, not sure about the aurthor, so mabe not any help there.

i have seen many old turpentine "cat faces" that have turned to lighter stumps still standing in the longleaf woods at my previous occupation as well as many live trees that were worked at one time.  Turpentining is almost a lost art and a huge part of the deep souths forest history.  Georgia was a hot bed for this practice.

-nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Murf

The good Lord sure does work in strange ways now don't he.  ::)

Why in da heck do yer think he made da best stuff fer light'n fires an den stuck way down south where dey don't need it anyways?  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

etat

Of course we needed em.  Had to have a fire to cook our corn pone, and heat up our coffee and cook our catfish and hushpuppies and of course.....cook  up our g r i t s .......back in the day of course......... 8) 8) 

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

woodbowl

Shore do need it is right! ...................... Near bout freezed my tater off this morning it was so cold. If we didn't have a lighter knot to start up with, we couldn't get going to school and work very fast. 45 degrees ain't no fun first thing in the mornin'!
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

beenthere

Quote from: woodbowl on December 14, 2005, 07:10:07 PM
........... 45 degrees ain't no fun first thing in the mornin'!
That's pretty cool for the bedroom temp first thing in the mornin, I agree, and "that's a fact" (famous quote there). We try to keep the bedroom temp above 60° in the winter here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Max sawdust

Ya Beenthere,
We have ice on the insides of the bedroom windows at night up Nort. :D  45 sounds right for sleepin. ::)
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

DanG

Yep, 45's good fer sleepin', but it ain't worth a hoot fer wakin' up! >:(

Tell y'all what!  I'll whackity-whack a whack of lightered splinters and ship'em to youses(that's Yankee for "y'all") for 5% less than Menards sell's them for.  How's that for the spirit of brotherhood and fair trade?  Merry Christmas to all of youses!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paschale

Quote from: DanG on December 15, 2005, 08:04:35 PM
Yep, 45's good fer sleepin', but it ain't worth a hoot fer wakin' up! >:(

Tell y'all what!  I'll whackity-whack a whack of lightered splinters and ship'em to youses(that's Yankee for "y'all") for 5% less than Menards sell's them for.  How's that for the spirit of brotherhood and fair trade?  Merry Christmas to all of youses!

Hey...now that sounds like a DanG good deal!   ;D   8)  Sign me up...   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Murf

Counter offer.......

How's abouts I bring a whack of Maple syrup and old Cheddar Cheese down ina spring an we trade straight up instead.

Ya jus gotta promise not ta pour da syrup, er grate da cheese over no grItz's ..........  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

woodbowl

Quote from: Murf on December 16, 2005, 11:36:50 AM
Counter offer.......
How's abouts I bring a whack of Maple syrup and old Cheddar Cheese down ina spring an we trade straight up instead.

Bring that whack of syrup and cheese on down with you on the way to Lakeland this April Murf. Me and DanG will be roundin' you up some lighter knots. Are you planning to go to Sun-n-fun this time?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Brang it on, Murf! 8) 8)  I likes cheddar cheese, but I takes my Gritses straight, 'cept for a little salt and butter.  I kin probbly trade the maple surple for somethin'.  We get our syrup from sugar cane.  I can probbly git ya a bottle of it. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

Quote from: DanG on December 16, 2005, 09:34:53 PM
I kin probbly trade the maple surple for somethin'. We get our syrup from sugar cane.
DanG, I need to swap you out of that bottle of maple syrup! I've got a pair of socks that I've only worn for 2 years I'll trade you for it. I'll let you know as soon as I find them. If I don't find but one by then, I'll settle for a half a bottle.

Pullinchips

just picked up about 100lbs of the stuff out of the woods friday at work.  Not the good longleaf stuff but was from rotted old growth shortleaf or lobblolly.
Now i have to cut it into short lengths (7 ft lengths right now) split and you have instant fire starters for free not the $30 for 10lbs catalog price.  Hey i ought to supplement my grad schol stipend by selling lighter wood.  Any one interested?  :)
Resident Forester

Stihl MS 390

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Pullinchips

good to know.

I have seen longleaf pine cones for sale on ebay about $10 for 2 dozen i beleive.  I thought if they sold i would sell them to but seemed like no one was bidding on them.

oh well another idea shot down.

-Nate
Resident Forester

Stihl MS 390

DanG

Nate, you could probably develop a market, but selling lightered sticks is an awful slow way to get rich.  Some of the country stores around here, and even the supermarkets will buy a few bundles, but you'd be hard pressed to get your gas money back that way.  You might be best off to put an ad in one of the local free ad papers and sell it in bulk if you have a good supply. 

Thank You Sponsors!