iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tom's Ship

Started by Tom, November 08, 2002, 07:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

My stint at sea in the Navy was aboard one of the fastest ships on the East Coast. She was one of two Fletcher "cans", Destroyers, left after WWII.  The USS Eaton DD-510 was my ship and the USS Cony DD508 was the other.

One of my shipmates has created a web page for the ship and I would be honored if you would take a look.  She was a grand old ship and deserved better than to be used for target practice.  If we only knew her coordinates she would be a memorial, but she has been lost to us all.

DanG

Tom, I was honored, as well, to be invited aboard the USS Eaton. She was, obviously a fine old "Steed of the Sea", and the sight of her would surely bring back many fond, and some not so fond memories, to those who served on her. If her crew should have another reunion, I would encourage you to do whatever is necessary to attend. I have travelled over 15000 miles to attend reunions of my military outfit, and the rewards I have reaped have been worth every inch of it, many times over. Thanks for sharing her with us. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Thanks DanG.  I do attend and enjoy the comaraderie. Little has been lost in all these years.

On the "Documents" page of the site is part of my diary if you would like to read "a day in the life of a tin-can-sailor"

Paul_H

Thanks Tom,
That was interesting to read what you and others that served on her had to say.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ron Scott

Great Web Site, especially for us interested in nautical history and such.  
~Ron

CHARLIE

If y'all look at the pictures of the USS Eaton in rough seas you'll see it going under the water. I think Tom was given anchor duty during rough seas.;D  Tom told me a couple of stories about the ship in rough seas. The first one was that the ship took the waves in threes. By that I mean the ship went under the 1st wave, partially over the 2nd wave and over the 3rd wave and then repeat. I think I'd have to get a bucket 'cause I'd be seasick! The second story was that when they encountered rough seas, the crew was told to strap themselves into their chairs if on duty and into their bunks if not. One time Tom was on Sonar duty and the other sonarman came to visit him. The warning went out to strap yourselves into your chairs and their was only one chair in the sonar room. The other guy decided to ride it out. Tom said that guy bounced from one wall to the other. Not a good decision on his part.   ::)  Hey Tom, that's the way I remember the story being told. Correct me if I'm wrong.....'cept for the anchor duty stuff.

The USS Eaton was an old WWII ship and Tom said they use to race some of the newer destroyers. I don't know who would win these races but he said the engine room would give the girl all she could handle. That had to be fun to be in a race like that. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

We would win, Charlie. The Eaton could make 42 knots and that was faster than any of the new cans. She just needed time to get steam built up.  The newer ships were diesel electric turbines and were real quick but not fast like us. ;D

A nautical mile is 6,080 feet and a land mile is 5,280 feet. Since a nautical mile is about 1.15 further then we were travelling about 48 miles per hour.  that's pretty fast for something as long as a football field. :P

Gordon

That was not only a ship you were stationed on it was a speed boat! Those pictures of the prop-wash on the stern of the ship are really something. But on the down side burying the bow is no fun makes for a really rough day.

Glad you took the time to share that Tom

Gordon

CHARLIE

I always have wondered why the Captain put Tom on duty guarding the anchor everytime they hit rough seas.  ::) :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

It's one of the best Carnival rides in world.  Everything on ship is tied down, boxed in or locked in some manner.  The Sonar Shack was the size of a walk-in closet with just enough room next to the equjipment to sit and operate it. Everything was bolted down.  The books were held on a shelf with a metal rod.  When we were in heavy seas (even light ones), your balance mechanisms in your ears said that you were moving and swaying and going from 3 g's to zero g's while your eyes told you that nothing was moving.  Sick?  Man, could I get sick.  I kept a bucket between my legs.

After a while, you get sick and it's more of an inconvenience.  The misery doesn't last too long.  Knowing we were going to get sick, we would eat soda crackers and drink tomato juice and stand behind the break (that shield on the main deck that broke waves from going down the deck)   A sailor who had only been on a day or two would think we were dying as we would yell, "I'm hemoraging!"

Thank You Sponsors!