iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fatal skidsteer accident

Started by sawguy21, April 24, 2006, 10:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

An area resident was killed Thursday while moving logs around his yard with a skidsteer. A relative found him trapped between the frame and lift arm. Police think the forks dug in and he was pitched out of the seat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

I thought about that type of an accident when recently we had a picture posted of a little girl sitting in the father's lap in a skidsteer a short while back.
Its good, I think, to get reminded of the things that can suddenly happen. I look back and have been guilty of taking chances with my kids, and now try to give my grand kids experiences but keep them safe at the same time.

Thanks for the reminder.  I've been pitched hard against the safety bar in a skidsteer a couple times. Took my breath away but kept me inside.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Rollercoasters have nothing on skid steers in rough terrain.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

rebocardo

Yea, I noticed the newer Bobcats have an arm that comes down across the lap, like a roller coaster,  that prevents the vehicle from running if it is not put down holding the operator in place. Probably would have prevent this accident since the operator choose not to use the seatbelt. Too bad   :'(

UNCLEBUCK

I seen my cousins 10 year old boy driving their big skid steer last week hauling silage to the barn and I thought now that is not smart . A half hour later the boy came into the dairy barn covered from head to toe in cow manure and crying . Tipped it on its nose and he crawled out unscathed. Just a few years too young for hauling heavy .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Dale Hatfield

They  can be  very Dangerous.   I used to feed out of one.  a bucket of grain over the fence into the bunk. Had done this twice a day  for a long time. Until one morning i dumped grain and bucket followed i found myself looking right  into the grain bunk, Fence smashed and bunk a little out of shape.
another  skid steer wreck i wish i could have seen as it was harmless to the owner but.  It seams that the lift arm was weak so he was using a pair of vice grips to hold it up.  While he was out of machine  vise grip and lift arm slipped back into run. The vise grip  pushed the control lever and the machine was a spinning in circles. Running over a 372 chainsaw in the process, while he figured how he was gonna tame the wild beast.
The lift  bar needs to be used with the seat belt.

Dale

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lift Arm on lap bar <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

sawguy21

Vise grip on the arm? :o He was lucky the saw was the only thing sacrificed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pigman

I turned my small skidsteer over backwards  several years ago. :o  Well, not completely backwards, only about 20 degrees past vertical. ::) It would have gone completely over on it's top if the tree had not been in the way. I was not hurt but I did need a bath after the hog manure in the bucket fell on me when the bucket hit the tree. smiley_airfreshener  The skid steer has an escape hatch in the roof but since it was against the tree I had  to climb up through the falling hog manure and dripping hydraulic oil.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Cedarman

I bought a 1 ton truck off a pig farmer about 1 1/2 years ago.  Can still smell pig when we turn the heater on or it gets warm from setting in the sun.  Smells like money to me.

Pigman, can you still smell money.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!