iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on a second (smaller) saw

Started by sfgjon, April 01, 2007, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfgjon

I have a 460 magnum with 20, 25 and 32" bars, and the saw pretty much will cut down anything I'll ever want to mess with, but at the end of the day, I'm worn out. Mostly ash and the occasional maple are about all I cut. I think I'd be doing myself a favor but picking up a smaller saw to do the limbing and such. Looking at maybe a 361, because I could still run my 20" bar if needed. But, the 260 is looking attractive too. Or, should I be looking at a 310? Seems like I'd be happier if I stuck in the "professional" series. I'm cutting enough to heat 2 houses all season, and worry about wearing myself out before my time with the 460.  Anyone have any advice?

sawguy21

The 361 would be nice as you can use the 20" bar and chain you have on it. The 260 is light and ideal for the type of work you are describing. I would stay away from the 310, it is heavy, has poor power to weight and the bar oiling is inadequate.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tony_T

Have not tried the new 361 but have a 036, it's my favorite saw.  Lighter and more powerful than my 028 super.   It pulls the whole 20 inch bar real good in hardwood if the chain is sharp. I only use my bigger saws (038, 066) on stuff much bigger than the bar on the 036.

limbrat

Dolmar ps 5100 is well worth a look. I dont think dolmar makes a consumer grade saw, I may be wrong but it seems all there stuff is well made.
ben

sfgjon

I've heard good things about Dolmar, but I don't think we have a dealer here. And, I'm partial to orange and white saws! ;D

Dave Shepard

I really like my 036 for smaller work, and I would guess the 361 is an improvement on it. I keep my 036 around the mill for trimming and lopping big knots off. It handles the 20" bar very well.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

slowzuki

ms260 or 346xp would make a good match.

jokers

Quote from: slowzuki on April 02, 2007, 12:01:27 PM
I agree if the saw is primarily going to be used for limbing. If the saw is also going to be the felling and bucking saw I would look at the 361.

SawTroll

Quote from: limbrat on April 01, 2007, 09:38:54 PM
Dolmar ps 5100 is well worth a look. I dont think dolmar makes a consumer grade saw, I may be wrong but it seems all there stuff is well made.

They make several, but I don't think that is relevant here.....
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on April 02, 2007, 09:59:23 PM
Quote from: slowzuki on April 02, 2007, 12:01:27 PM
I agree if the saw is primarily going to be used for limbing. If the saw is also going to be the felling and bucking saw I would look at the 361.

Agree, most of my birches are limbed with a 361, with 15" bar, and 3/8x8 - works great!   8) 8)
Information collector.

sawmilllawyer

I would stay with the professional series, by that I mean the MS-361 (which I have and it is a great saw) or the MS-260 (a close friend owns one and is very happy with it). There is a significant weight difference between the MS 460 (also own one of these) and the 361. Usually if cutting all day I tend to reach for the 361, unless there are realy large trees, less wear and tear on the lower back.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

FioreIndiana

I had a similar problem with my MS-361 on my property. I guess we are not 18 anymore. I would get tired after I used it for a long time. I then purchased a MS-260. I do not have this problem anymore. I mostly use my MS-260 for small trees and branches and even medium trees after I cut it down with MS-361 and usually just a few bucking cuts if I need to because most of the tree is branches anyway. I love my MS-260. The real total wet working weight difference is about 3.5 pounds.  That difference in weight makes it wonderful for me. Please reply as to which saw you purchased.

sfgjon

I'm still undecided.... Was hoping someone would reply with a "smoking gun" on which saw to buy! Seems that the 361 is really what I should get, but for fight now I am still using the 460 for everything. Thanks everyone for the advice and comments you've given, they are very much appreciated.

SawTroll

Quote from: FioreIndiana on April 07, 2007, 07:15:21 PM
.... after I cut it down with MS-361 and usually just a few bucking cuts if I need to because most of the tree is branches anyway. I love my MS-260. The real total wet working weight difference is about 3.5 pounds.  That difference in weight makes it wonderful for me. Please reply as to which saw you purchased.
Welcome to the FF!  :) 8) 8)

I guess you have a longer/heavier bar on the 361, then, as the dry powerhead differense is less than 2 lbs..... ;)
Information collector.

TexasTimbers

I love my little 345 with the 18 inch bar. :)

Since i have been keeping the chain sharp with the handfile I can even tell the difference between it and the factory edges. the handfiled chain on the 345 is soooooo sweet. Haven't modded the muffler on this saw but that is the next step. 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

slowzuki

The fellow I cut with sometimes has a 345.  I have an MS 260.  His is a nice saw and handles well.  He doesn't have to clean his air filter nearly as often as me.   Mine has more power and starts much better in the cold.  His is smoother for limbing softwoods, doesn't catch as many limbs.  His anti-vibe is a bit better.  My fuel caps are better, getting the bar and chain off is much quicker on mine with the inboard clutch.

Both are 16" bar, we both run stihl and oregon chain but he had some extra narrow kerf stuff on for a while, mine still cut better.   His is constantly leaking bar oil too, he can't leave it full for the next use.  Mine just has a slight weep.

I'd like to have a 346xp to run next to mine for a while.

rebocardo

> I think I'd be doing myself a favor but picking up a smaller saw to do the limbing and such.

Most of the time I turn all my hardwood trees except small branches under 1" into firewood. After the tree is down, I delimb the branches with a MS-180c until I get to the larger 6" stuff.  The reason I bought it was on weight alone to delimb the tops of trees into firewood. The chain I run on it from Baileys really turned it into a much quicker saw (vs. Stihl's chain) without a compromise on safety. I have even used it to drop 12" oak when I didn't feel like walking back to get the Husky in the middle of a job.

It is a much safer and less tiring to hold at chest height to undercut a branch then a heavier saw. Plus, it is really light compared to the MS-270 or Husky 365/372.

I think I am on my 6th new chain so far, it has held up well.

sfgjon

Everyone's input is very appreciated. After careful consideration, I think I am going to go with a 260pro. Much lighter than my 460, and (hopefully) big enough to run an 18" bar.  Of course, when I am actually at the dealer, who knows what I'll come home with.  ;D ;D  The 361 looks great to, bur the 460 can handle the bigger stuff. The 460 is a great saw, but I guess I'm not as young as I used to be. Wears me out ofter a few hours of cutting. Thanks again for all the help, that is what makes this board so good.

windthrown

Quote from: sfgjon on April 08, 2007, 09:37:04 PM
I'm still undecided.... Was hoping someone would reply with a "smoking gun" on which saw to buy! Seems that the 361 is really what I should get, but for fight now I am still using the 460 for everything. Thanks everyone for the advice and comments you've given, they are very much appreciated.

A 460 is way too big for an 'everything' saw. A true pro model saw. Respected. Good for felling, bucking and large round cutting. It has the power to cut just about aything with any size bar. But they are heavy, and they vibrate a lot. I had one. It was too hard on my hands and arms after using it. Sucks up gas too. Cuts like butter... I got it for cutting the big stuff here (we have 80 acres of big trees). Not good for limbing, small tree felling, or nimble stuff. You must have forearms like Popeye if that is the only saw that you use!

A 361 is a much better all around saw. Its an 'if you only could have one saw what would it be?' kind of saw. It is the smoking gun. You will like it. Better than the 260. Good power to weight ratio. Smooth running. Spring suspension. The 260 is a good saw, but it may not be around much longer. The 440 is going away this summer (finally) in favor of the new 441 which is in the same league as the 361. I use the 361 for most stuff here. It fells and bucks 2-3 ft DBH firs with no problem. Great firewood cutting saw. I also have a 210 for limbing and thinning, as even the 361 can get heavy after a few hours of use.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

SawTroll

Quote from: sfgjon on April 11, 2007, 07:50:26 PM
Everyone's input is very appreciated. After careful consideration, I think I am going to go with a 260pro. Much lighter than my 460, and (hopefully) big enough to run an 18" bar.  .....

For an 18" bar, definately the 361, unless it is just for reach - it balances that bar lenght perfectly.... :) ;D

...and you can let the 460 rest more often.
Information collector.

sfgjon

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself another saw. Went to the dealer fully intending on buying a 260pro, but ended up with a 280 instead. A little heavier, but still much lighter than the 460. Has a bit more power than the 260 and appears to have a much better anti-vibe system. The dealer charged me 10 dollars to change out the sprocket to a rim system and  also changed the bar out so I can run 3/8 instead of the .325 chain. Figured 10 was  small price to pay for  all that. Saw cuts very well, plenty of power for the size of wood I'll be cutting with it. Thanks again for all the advice!

jokers

I think that you made a very good choice and that your dealer also treated you pretty well on the parts swap.

SawTroll

Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!