iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue in nature

Started by jim king, April 16, 2007, 12:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

I have read many times that blue is very rare in nature.  We found this fruit Saturday.

DanG

Isn't that the fruit of the rare and valuable Logrite bush?  Ya need to save some of them berries! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

That is a rare color blue  8)  how does it taste?  ;)

You are no doubt familiar with Blueberries which are the only other "blue" I know of.

tree-farmer

We have a insect in this area called a "blue ghost firefly", it shows up in late May and can be seen for about 2 months. We have them in the low lying areas of our property. They live in areas of undistrubed leaf mulch, and about 9:30 pm (hard dark) they come about 2 feet off the ground and glow rather than flash light regular lightening bugs. To see thousands of these things glowing on a pitch black night is surreal.It is the most beautiful blue glow. (those of you who were around in the 60's may have seen similar things before) It is a real treat to see these things puting on their show, looking of mates of course;only the males glow. In light they are just a small bettle looking thing but at night they are magic.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/06_06/06_14_06/out_fr_blink.html

This link has some more info
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Don P

Some scruffy old brush here has a few berries getting ripe.

I decided to try to ID this blue fruit by taste.

Not sure, I think the sample size was too smallĀ  ;D

mdvaden

Blue does seem to be bit harder to find, depending on where you are. I liked that link to the blue and gold macaw, since we have one. My green cheek conures have aqua blue and light blue in spots.

As for plants, I enjoy this lighter blue flower out here, and west in the area of the album / frame 16 as of today's posting ...

Album: Smith River area - blue flower in frame 16

Other than blueberry, Oregon grape has a blue berry, and related Mahonia nervosa has a blue berry.

I think that Evergreen huckleberry is dark blue rather than black. It's Vaccinium like blueberry.

Blue spruce is light blue, as is Moonglow juniper and Wichita juniper. There's a partially blue groundcover juniper that is short like a carpet.

It does take a bit of thinking to remember blues in nature.

Jeff

I have found this growing on my property in the U.P.   I would say its about as blue as you can get.  :)

http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/herbs/clintonia.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Indicator of good bear habitat. ;)
~Ron

SPIKER

there was one time I had some "blue berries" but the woman took are of them ::) and all was right again :D :D ;D

but it is true that blues are one of the rarer colors in nature.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!