iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

That hickory

Started by adrean louis, March 18, 2009, 10:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrean louis

well today, i sawed two logs for a customer a red oak and a hickory, being up here in the north most of the stuff i saw i do not need blade lube, but today what a mistake, this costomer just came back from his aunts house in arkanas, it looked like a simple12 inch log 6 feet long and 3 gumed up blades later it finally was done boy what a pain, so is this normal

Dodgy Loner

I've never tried to saw hickory without blade lube and I don't plan to attempt it in the future :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ladylake

Time to start using lube, real slow drip with diesel or lots of water.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

adrean louis

ya i guess so, most or all my cutting i do in the winter and without lube it works fine, also i usually let the logs sit for several months, except basswood, but that hickory was a real pain

epiphoneprs

i dont saw hickory anymore for that reason. i tried one earlier this week just thinking it would be different. it wasnt. i ran a steady stream of diesel and still had awful  build up. oh well, makes good firewood.

adrean louis

aw ha, so i'm not crazy

Coon

Well, we can't really rule out the crazy part  for sure :D  :D beause you already have sawdust in the blood and once you got that well.......    :o :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ARKANSAWYER

I think I was to saw that log but could not get to it before he had to go back up north.  If his kin was from by Mt Home then he was it.  Sorry I did not get it sawn.  I saw hickory all the time and have no problems.  Just some pinesol in the water and good set in the blade.  It is pretty lumber and great for smoking meat.
ARKANSAWYER

ladylake

Why are these guys having trouble, I sawed a few smaller hickory logs a while back with no trouble.  Lube, set, hook, dull blade or what.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

adrean louis

the main problem i had was the green bark, once i got ride of that it was fine, after he left the next log was a11 ft 24 inch very dry dead white oak and wow, that log cut up beautifully even had some great looking 20 inch boards out of it.

WDH

Oh, the vextions of hickory.  It is a scourge to sawing sanity.  It is just plain fractious to fool with.  Besides being troublesome (for me) to cut, it defies being dried straight.  It is hard on your knives when planing and jointing.  It is like sanding iron. 

It is best for me to stay away from it and let everyone else revel in its attractions  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!