iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Longleaf pine water intake???

Started by Wildland Fire Fighter, December 07, 2009, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildland Fire Fighter

Had an interesting question posed to me, just trying to find any possible answer to give them.  How much water intake per day can a mature long leaf pine consume?

WDH

I don't know the answer, but I am sure that the research has been done.  Contact the Warnell School of Forest and Wildlife Resources at the Univ. of GA and I bet they can provide some info. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Onthesauk

Had a DNR forester tell me that a fully mature western red ceder, under ideal conditions, could take up 1,000 gallons of water a day.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

1000? Man, that seems like a lot.  I was always taught that a mature oak tree uses around 50 gallons a day.

With 1000, all I would need is a handful of them to dry up the soggy ground by Northern white cedars live in, cause they can't seem to do it. :-\  I sure wish they could.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wildland Fire Fighter

Quote from: WDH on December 07, 2009, 06:15:05 PM
I don't know the answer, but I am sure that the research has been done.  Contact the Warnell School of Forest and Wildlife Resources at the Univ. of GA and I bet they can provide some info. 
One of our foresters works at Warnell and I was thinking of calling him.  Thanks for the advise.

Wildland Fire Fighter

Quote from: Onthesauk on December 07, 2009, 10:27:42 PM
Had a DNR forester tell me that a fully mature western red ceder, under ideal conditions, could take up 1,000 gallons of water a day.

That does seem like a lot.  We were thinking more in line of 30Min-600max per day.  Depending on drought conditions.  Live oaks might get close to 1000.  Again thinks for all of the advise.

bill m

At an arborist class I went to I was told a mature full crown hard Maple would take up 250 gal. a day
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ellmoe

If my memory is correct a mature cypress tree will pull two tons of water per day when putting on new growth in the spring. I've seen some swamps dry up very fast at this time of the year, so I can believe it.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Magicman

Quote from: ellmoe on December 08, 2009, 07:29:27 PM
a mature cypress tree will pull two tons of water per day when putting on new growth in the spring.  Mark

If my math is correct, that's not but 500 gallons.  Cypress trees contain much more free moisture than pines.  You will almost drown sawing cypress.  You have to wring the water out of your gloves when handling the fresh sawed lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Your math be pretty close. Fresh water weighs in at 8.345 lb/gal.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishpharmer

Interesting questions and answers.

I can offer a loosely related observation. ;)  I have a little patch of planted pine right by the road.  It is on a hill top.  I noticed that some of the trees in one area seemed to be growing faster and larger.  One day I noticed bare dirt and some orange flags between the road and the patch of pines.  It turned out there was a small leak in the community water system right near the fast growing spot.  I have a well. ;) The community water goes to a neighbor.   ;D

I realize this gives no real evidence of water intake, yet it made me think how beneficial additional water can be for the growth of pine trees.  I wonder if there have ever been any cost/benefit analysis on the feasibility of watering pine trees (in small patches)?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ellmoe

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 09, 2009, 05:58:45 AM

I, yet it made me think how beneficial additional water can be for the growth of pine trees.  I wonder if there have ever been any cost/benefit analysis on the feasibility of watering pine trees (in small patches)?

If it is the limiting factor it might help. However, if a nutrient(s) is(are) the limiting factor additional water should not help. Maybe on dry, sandy soils there would be an improvement.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Wildland Fire Fighter

Quote from: WDH on December 08, 2009, 06:10:28 PM
WFF,

Let us know what you find out.

The web site that Jeff put up (http://treephys.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/18/8-9/499.pdf) is what i refered the person that asked the question.  It has some helpful information.  They were wondering if watering the pines such as fishpharmer suggested would even be fiesable.  I informed them that it couldnt hurt unless they over watered the trees and got root rot. 

SwampDonkey

I've not yet seen a scarcity of water in these parts.  ;D Trees like white ash, red cedar, white cedar, and Doug-fir must have fast transpiration rates or don't require much water because they only lose about 2-6 lb/ft3 from green to 12 % MC (Doug-Fir the least). I guess you'd have to study them to see at what point they are water stressed and maybe capture the transpired water in some form of tent canopy to measure the condensate. No idea what the setup would be. It would be easier studying the degree of stress when putting on spring growth because later on the stress may be unnoticed for a few days in the conifers. Ash leaves would wither soon, but cedar bows might not turn brown for days in late season growth.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!