iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'ship mast locust

Started by Blue Sky, March 10, 2011, 11:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Sky

Does this stuff really exist or is it another name for very straight locust.  I bought two tractor trailer loads last year from a service forester in Danville, Vt.  I went and looked at them before they were cut and they were the straightest locust I have ever seen before, 80-120 feet tall-DBHs of 8-20".  Turns out hey were growing on ancient sea bottom- pure wood food(From the Tatonic Mt Range).  There was a fella from N.Y. years ago that was talking about a sub-species , but I have not found any conclusive evidence of this.  I found out years ago that locust grows in every state in the continental U.S. and Canada and is everywhere in England, Europe.

beenthere

The name is likely what you suspect...a classification of a locust that is suitable for a ship mast. It isn't likely a separate species or variety, if that is what you are asking.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

It could be a certain strain that happened to be straighter, or just called that when it grew straight, like beenthere said.

What are you doing with it? sawing?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bruce hare

hi new to forum  i was told years ago that locust  was not native too north  america . rather it was brought here from england. i find it interesting  how  you will offen see it growing near old cellar wholes. arround here its usually quite crooked.
nuts over wood

Magicman

Hi bruce hare, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

If there is indeed something special about those specific "mast locust", bring a few seedlings over, I could use as much straight locust as I can get ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ironwood

So you are just checking on name, not in need of a mast?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

Hey, you don't ever know when you might need a mast :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

I have NEVER seen a straight locust other than 4-8" diameter in cometetive stand.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

There are some super nice ones in the North Georgia mountains, but they are mainly on the National Forest.  That is one species that I have never sawn.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

I just got some free black locust logs from a neighbor. 20' truck, no branches or knots, 18" butt, about 16" top. Black locust is pretty uncommon around here, compared to honey locust.

sandhills

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what type of locust is what.  We have several different kinds around here but most are the ones that have thorns growing all over them.  We have one row in a shelter belt that would likely have been planted when my grandpa was in his twenties, they grew straight and fairly tall, they were planted between rows of erc.

tyb525

There are two species:

Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) Has deeply furrowed bark, the wood is orange/yellow/green fading to a darker color. The most rot resistant of the two. There are little thorns near the leaves I think. The seed pods are smaller.

Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) This is the one with thorns on the trunk. The wood is red to bright orange. IMO it is harder than Black locust, and supposedly less rot resistant, however it is heavier. The leaves are slightly bigger, and the seed pods are significantly bigger.

That's my un-technical description.

Phorester

It's a variety of black locust, Robinia pseudoacacia var rectissima, that I think was found on Long Island NY in the 1700's.  It was widely planted in the 1950s.  It was supposed to grow taller and straighter than the regular black locust and supposed to be more resistant to locust borers. There is 2 or 3-acre patch planted in one of my counties in the 50's or 60's by a farmer who liked to experiment with new plants of all sorts.  To me these don't look any different than the native black locust that grows all over the place in this part of Virginia.

WDH

In black locust, the thorns are stipular, that is, they are associated with the leaf petiole (like Ty said).  They are similar to the thorns on a rose bush where there are two thorns at the base of each leaf.  Honeylocust thorns are modified branches.  As such they are not simple rose bush-like thorns a half inch long, they are weapons!  The thorns themselves branch and can be 6 inches long and occur anywhere on the stem, even the trunk.

tyb525

In my observations they are the thickest on the trunk. And talk about scary! When I was younger I was scared to death of them, I guess I thought they could shoot their huge needles ;) :D

WDH

With black locust, one gets pricked.  With honeylocust, one gets stabbed  :).

Phorester

[ The thorns themselves branch and can be 6 inches long and occur anywhere on the stem, even the trunk.
[/quote]

Also occur quite often in tractor and truck tires after driving close to one.

sandhills

Thanks guys, apparently we have a majority of honey locust, long thorns and a lot on the trunks.

woodsteach

I don't know about the black but the honey locust spines and I don't get along.

I just finished up a job logging some and I leaned into a log and stabbed my thigh with a cluster of them DanG things.  Finally  after 2 weeks of treatment the swelling and itching has for the most part disappeared. 

Has anyone else had a reaction to the honeylocust thorns?

woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

tyb525

I think I read somewhere about the thorns having some kind of poison or irritant in them. Not sure, but I do know they can feel like a bee sting sometimes.

sandhills

Anybody wanna build a treehouse ;D

Kind of a knarly looking dude!

tyb525

They will poke through a boot before they break.

Norm

That's the main weed tree on our farm. They do make nice lumber but getting to it is a problem.

woodsteach

Norm, what do you use the lumber for? 
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!