iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'ship mast locust

Started by Blue Sky, March 10, 2011, 11:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

It is similar in appearance and workability to red oak woodsteach. Also the jacket boards where the thorns are thickest have an interesting pattern that looks like cat paw prints on them.

tyb525

It is my favorite wood by far. It turns a beautiful orange/pink when finish is applied. It's harder than red oak IMO.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Holmes

Norm .. The first picture looks like some of Jim Kings monkeys looking out thru the wood..  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Norm

It would make a good Rorschach test wouldn't it Holmes.  :)

The only problem I have with the lumber is bugs love the sapwood.

bruce hare

amen on the monkeys holmes
nuts over wood

Warren

Quote from: Phorester on March 12, 2011, 09:59:35 PM

[ The thorns themselves branch and can be 6 inches long and occur anywhere on the stem, even the trunk.

Also occur quite often in tractor and truck tires after driving close to one.
[/quote]

Amen !
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Left Coast Chris

We had one at our old house.  The wooden thorns were on the trunk and many of the limbs.  Very dense wood and nice color.  Too bad I did not have my sawmill back at that time.  It went into firewood.   I got a minor stab that was unusally sore for several days.  I was scared I would get one through the boot but thankfully that did not happen.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

jon12345

The thorns stabbing you and causing irritation might be environmental and not species specific. Sounds like the same kind of reaction I get from wild rose or crab apple? 
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

tyb525

They irritate me too, but other pricks from other plants don't nearly as much.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ron Scott

~Ron

Left Coast Chris

Ever get a puncture wound from galvanized steel or wire?  It stays sore longer than normal.  Thats what my Honey Locust thorn puncture did.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

timerover51

Quote from: bruce hare on March 10, 2011, 04:30:25 PM
hi new to forum  i was told years ago that locust  was not native too north  america . rather it was brought here from england. i find it interesting  how  you will offen see it growing near old cellar wholes. arround here its usually quite crooked.

Both the Black and the Honey Locust are native to North America, and were transplanted to Europe.

SwampDonkey

A lot of black locusts planted in towns and old farmsteads up here in the last century. Also very common was the bristly locust, which is not very frost hardy in my area, but they have been here at old places for at least a century. They'll get so big, die and sprout suckers like an aspen tree and start over. The old timers called them acacia trees.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but it was the bristly locust they called acacia. They never heard tell of latin names, that was for the parish priest. Linneus or what's his name.  ;) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Must have been Dendroctonus linneus  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!