iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little surprise awaited us.

Started by Grower, September 05, 2011, 05:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grower

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0  <---- Can anyone can me whats the best thing to do with this slab of macrocarpa, and don't say its firewood! Thanks and I hope this copy and paste thingy works. The mill did a great job of cutting it.
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

beenthere

Is it oak or cypress?  Just macrocarpa doesn't let us (or me anyway) know what it is.

I suspect Cupressus macrocarpa
http://www.cypress-sawmill.co.nz/macrocarpa_specs.htm

Softwood, so not even good firewood.   ;D ;D

Could be a number of things, but "best" application will be your choice. What are the dimensions?

And you can go back and modify your post to put the picture in it. Just find it in your gallery and scroll down below the pic a bit and you have two choices to imbed it in the post.

Like here

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Macrocarpa Cypress (Beenthere has got the ID right) can be a real lucky dip.

Sometimes you get a log that looks fine, but some major injury to the tree decades ago lets decay into the heart of the tree, and can pretty much hollow them out like that.

When you find one like that there isn't much you can do, except cut what you can can from the parts of the log that are still good. With a slab like that I'd mount it on the mill again and rip it up into whatever I could, 4x2s, 8x1s, 4x1s etc and still get some useful timber from it.

BTW, even though it's a softwood, it's probably still the firewood of choice in these parts  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

zopi

Coue chunks of cypress will help a hardwood fore get going on a cold winter morning.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Grower

Yes its Cupressus Macrocarpa, however 2 of its mates have the same problem, hollow up the middle which leads me to believe they are well past their 'use by date'. There are still a few to come down which are alot bigger and branchier, however they are full of German Owls and I can't wreck their nesting sites, hey its spring time!!!!!!
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

metalspinner

If you are a furniture builder, you have lots of options...

Rip the rot out and glue the slab back together.  That will keep your natural edges.  Would make a cool looking bench seat.

It looks to be about 3" thick?  Legs for a table?

Use several pieces for a large table top.

Resaw it into samller dimensioned boards.

Each half looks to be about the right width for a fireplace mantel.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

kderby

Grower,

Thanks for the courtesy to the owls.  None of us needs to wreck nature with forethought or malice.  The owls will move on and the trees will be there.  I am a weed killer, hunter, carnivore and a sawmillling fool.  I still appreciate a little decency when it shows up.

Kderby

Thank You Sponsors!