iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

onsite sawmilling ASH???

Started by Grunex, August 14, 2012, 08:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunex

Just a quick questions for Foresters and those that live in the quarantined counties of SE MN in particular.  If I were to have a custom sawyer come to my clearing sites with a portable sawmill, cut my Ash into demension lumber is it then legal to sell the lumber out of the quarantined co's?  I'm thinking of having all the growth ring removed and absolutely no bark left.  Would it have to be inspected prior to shipment?

Thanks in advance

www.grunexlandclearing.com
Maintaining America's Heartland one acre at a time.

beenthere

That would be a good question to ask the County in MN that you are in, or the MN DNR.  Likely either or both are the one (s) responsible for any ruling about the quarantine. But is a good question.
You must feel you have a market for dimension lumber.
Hope you find a good answer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Todd

I know in Ohio you had to have the lumber inspected to make sure it was "de-regulated" i.e. cut to below 1/2" below the cambdium layer before it was ok'd to ship. Call DNR, they should be able to help you.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

shelbycharger400

i dont know about ash yet,  but i have saw'd some 16 in dia pine logs and found wood wasps near the center.
Im assuming that if your ash lumber, they were kiln dried wouldnt be a problem because the bugs would be dead.

Al_Smith

I'm not certain pertaining the specifics of transporting logs  or lumber .However when the regulations about EAB spread came into effect as I understand it only covered firewood .

From my perspective regarding Ohio for the most part it's too late to do anything but cut the dead trees .The bugs have for all intents wiped the whole species out ,gone .

estiers

EAB Regulations cover all material that has the possibility of spreading EAB.  This includes, but is not limited to nursery stock, logs, lumber, and firewood.  If you want to get the material out of a quarantined county you have to have an inspection to ensure that, like Todd said, all of the bark plus a 1/2 inch of wood had been removed, to ensure no beetles will be travelling with your lumber.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Phorester

Erin has it right.  This is a federal quarantine which means it's the same in every State that has an EAB quarantine.  Also, kiln dried ash lumber can be moved without inspection too, if you have the option of a kiln.

Another point; you can move ash products  freely within quarantined areas, even from one quarantined State to an adjacent quarantined State.  But you can't move it from a quarantined area into an un-quarantined area without inspection.

Todd

Took ya long enough to get here Erin!  ;)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

estiers

Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Thank You Sponsors!