iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many of you like to work on your mill?

Started by HaroldSiefke, February 18, 2013, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never finished

I like working on my mill. Most everything I have is home made or home improved. Pineywoods is my hero!!!. I have dreams of some day going south on a day trip just to meet him. Iffin he can spare the time. Of course most of my derams and ideas are Never Finished.

dboyt

Quote from: saxon0364 on February 19, 2013, 07:05:02 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on February 18, 2013, 10:59:46 PM
Way back in the dim dark past, some voodo witch put a curse on my family that is passed down from generation to generation. Anything we own has to be worked on before you can use it. ::)

I think your great great granddad and mine ticked off the same witch or something. :-\

She musta really gotten around.  I figured it was my ex-girlfriend I broke off with when I met my current one (the one I've been married to for over 30 years).

I love working on the mill if it is to make it run better or save me some work.  The log splitter for turning logs is a great idea, and I can see using it to power a log lifter, as well-- and maybe even splitting slabs for firewood at the end of the day.  I don't mind maintaining, adjusting or tweaking it.  I hate repairing it, though that hasn't been an issue since I sold my previous mill and got the Norwood.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

bandmiller2

Hal,I don't have hydraulic backstops on my bandmill but their connected and can be operated from a lever on my side of the mill almost as good and scads cheaper. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ga Mtn Man

I love to tinker on the mill, so long as there's no pressure to get finished up.  It's no fun being in the waning hours of daylight with mill parts scattered everywhere and a saw job to get to first thing in the morning.smiley_fused_bomb
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Delawhere Jack

I'll take 8 hours of working on the mill over 30 minutes working on any vehicle.

I HATE working on cars!! smiley_devil The day they put an OBD III diagnostic port on a sawmill I'm hanging up my bands.

HaroldSiefke

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 21, 2013, 08:47:45 AM
Hal,I don't have hydraulic backstops on my bandmill but their connected and can be operated from a lever on my side of the mill almost as good and scads cheaper. Frank C.
Do you have any pictures of your back stops? Did you build them? I need to figure out how to make them be adjustable and move up and down any home inventions would be great.
Harold

Stephen1

My B in law likes to say if it doesn't need fixing why would we buy it and keep it:-)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

macpower

I repair equipment all week long. On my own time I want to saw, not fix things! My Thomas is about as bullet proof as they come. It only seems to break when I do something stupid! I don't mind the regular maintenance, when I'm doing it, it means I getting ready to saw.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Jim H

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on February 21, 2013, 04:54:50 PM
The day they put an OBD III diagnostic port on a sawmill I'm hanging up my bands.
No port on mine, I have to count flashing lights to read codes from the ECU. A code reader would be easier.           
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Jim H on February 21, 2013, 09:10:02 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on February 21, 2013, 04:54:50 PM
The day they put an OBD III diagnostic port on a sawmill I'm hanging up my bands.
No port on mine, I have to count flashing lights to read codes from the ECU. A code reader would be easier.           

There is one available from Kolher.  Think it is about 250 ish.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Happycamper

I won't mind working on my mill once it is set up and running. The more I know about it the better it should work for me and the easier to make needed adjustments. Just now getting acquainted with it.
                                    Jim
Already found that the head is hard to raise so made a change to it. Can raise the head W/O hernia.

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

HaroldSiefke

The new 20.5 hp subaru motor and pineywood turner worked awesome on the woodland modified mill. Pretty soon there wont be a stock part on this mill. I'll have to rename it :D The mill handled the motor and turner nicely. I thought maybe it was to much motor but after running it on a 26 inch cotton wood today I would not go any smaller on motor size. The turner made it so I never even used my peavey. Thanks again pineywoods. Now is on to hydraulic back stops.
Harold

markkelly

8) 8) 8) 8) I love to work on my mill!!!!  I can't wait until I can find time to work on it 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

bozzaa69

I built my mill from scratch. So the work has already been done. It was allot of work though. I like sawing better than building it though. Although building it was a great skill honing and learning experience.

Thank You Sponsors!