iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which woodmizer to order

Started by woodweasel, February 14, 2013, 11:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tronvik

Jake, your right I did repaint the 84 lt30 back in 2003. All day with a cup brush grinder and two coats of paint. It looked almost new, she needs that same treatment now. Tron
1984 lt30, john deere 750

Qweaver

I think it totally depends on how you will use the mill.  I started with a used $4500 LT15 and built a house with it...but it was hard work(too hard) to saw big logs.  I upgraded to the LT28 and have been really happy with it.  But really big logs are still a problem.  I have an 80 log saw job coming in and I may wish I had hydraulics for this one.  Luckily I also have a swinger to handle the big logs.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

pasbonbasile

this is the boat I am in. Used to have an LT 40 HD 25 back in about 2000. looking for another and afraid i will be disappointed if I get less than what i had before. This time though it will have a debarker. Want to build another barn and thinking on the 40 x 100 and wondering if that will be big enough... Just wanted to add my $.02 worth...
thirteen- tractors, one combine, no mill yet. Looking for one. Used -to have a wm lt4hdg25
Update 9-27-15 now have WM LT40 Super Hyd. used (1996) but back into sawing. Mostly pine and oak.

samandothers

Wood Weasel did you order the LT 35 Manual?  I have enjoyed mine. Deck package has been very handy when working alone.

woodweasel

Yes I did! Will pick it up on the 25th. of this month in Kirbyville Texas! It will a 3 houur drive both ways! Not a big deal though.Im very excited!!!!!!!! 8)

samandothers

If you think you are excited now justt wait until you are driving home and behind you is that orange LT35!

Leigh Family Farm

Way to go WoodWeasel! Just remember on the ride home, keep your eyes on the road and not the rear view mirror!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

boman1

Swing by my house in Silsbee.....I have a few logs I'll let you practice on. Jay in Kirbyville will fix you up! Congrats!

scully

The LT 35 has the same bed as it's much more capable big brother the lt40 , I have sawn with one and for the $ they are realy nice ! The 28 is good but you need to ask yourself how serious you want to get ? This is just me talking but figure on what size you would like then go a size or 2 bigger . Sortta like building a barn ........
I bleed orange  .

Kansas

Concerning a mill losing its value like a new car as soon as it leaves the lot. I think that has been true in recent years. It was not true some years ago. I think you could buy a new mill, put hours on it, and sell it for just about what you paid for it. We bought our first mill, a manual 35 woodmizer with the log deck package. We were the third owner and it had all of 15 hours on it. We gave close to new price. We put at least a couple of thousand hours on it, and sold it for 500 less than we paid for it. Between inflation and a strong demand for mills, it was very possible to do that. Those days have not yet returned, but I would bet that there will be a time when that happens.

Do truly look at used mill options. Especially hydraulics. Right now they are comparably cheap to a new mill. You are going to have to learn to work on them anyway. My vote would be to go with an HD40 mill. With luck, you can find one where the guy had a bunch of spare parts to go with it. My guess is you will always get your money back out of it if you decide to sell.

Thank You Sponsors!