iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this to big to cut down.....cottonwood!

Started by ArnoldFarms, March 18, 2014, 10:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ArnoldFarms

Thanks for the replies. My wife says Amen to all thos who said keep the tree lol. I'll post some pics of the rest of the tree tomorrow. It is close to the river so I will cut it down if the river gets to close to taking it.  The river line is always changing and claiming good trees. So I'll keep an eye on it. We do have other trees to cut down :).  So I'll start with those.  Arnold Farms is located in Collinsville,OK on the Kaney River.
Faith, Family, Job

kczbest

Nice tree! The good thing about it being on your land is you can cut it or you can let it grow. It's yours do with it what you like! :D
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

hackberry jake

Id leave the tree... if it was a walnut on the other hand...  smiley_chop
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Cedarman

I guess I was being subtle when  I asked what would your wife  hug if you cut the tree.  The rest of you just up and said it.  I have a few trees that would be better cut down to let something else grow.  I get greater enjoyment year after year seeing the tree than I would have the money in my pocket.  But if they got damaged or showed signs of dying, then down they would come.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

shelbycharger400

ArnoldFarms

Sorry for waiting so long to post another picture. But here's how far it is to the first crotch.  I would guess the tree is about 90' tall, give or take.  I'm not good at guessing lengths :).  You can see how close it is to the bank by this pic.

Faith, Family, Job

thecfarm

That tree does look all that big with no one trying to hug it.   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ArnoldFarms

Yeah I thought that to. But I'm standing pretty far back.
Faith, Family, Job

Brad_bb

I agree with Jeff.  I have a lot of respect for those old giants.  I would leave it if there wasn't a very compelling reason.  There are some giant cottonwoods like that in Lincoln Park in the middle of Chicago.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

5quarter

Too big to make it worth cutting unless you have a swing mill. Cottonwoods grow real fast. That tree is maybe 60 years old if its a day. I live in the Platte river valley and cottonwoods that size and larger (a few much larger) are not uncommon. One of our members used to cut a lot of cottonwood and had said to me and others that the big ones were hit and miss with regard to being solid or not. He tried to keep his log sizes under 30" or so as he could rely on better yields.
   You're tree is a very handsome one and really adds something special to your woods. definitely has more value standing by the creek than it does laying on the ground.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

barbender

I had some large Red pine that had more aesthetic value to me than they did as lumber. They were around 110 years old, and there were only about a dozen on the property. But when something happened to them.I didn't waste time grieving, I just drug them to the mill ;) (the something was a massive windstorm that took out a majority of the large pine in the area).
Too many irons in the fire

GAB

barbender:
What you described is what I call a "salvage operation".  ie doing the best you can with the hand Mother Nature has dealt you.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!