iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

interested in having my property logged, new to forestry.

Started by csl0823, June 03, 2014, 12:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csl0823

New guy here,

Glad to be a part of The Forestry Forum.
There seems to be a great wealth of knowledge among the many users.
As for me, I know very little about foresty, but am eager to take in any and all knowledge relevant to my interests in forestry.

I have 10 acres on a mountain side in Skykomish, Washington that I am intersted in getting logged.

As far as the process of getting the property logged goes, I don't know much. I am also not sure if I should trust the first forester I contact to tell me all the information I need to know. There are bad people in all types of business and do not want to push my luck

This is why I am reaching out to The Forestry Forum community!
What does the process look like and what steps should I take?
Is there anything I should avoid or intentionally look along the way?
Anything else I should know would be great!

I can provide the tax ID if that is of any help.

Thanks,
Conrad

WDH

You need an appraisal to know what you are selling and the value of the timber.  You need a plan for what happens after the logging if you want to regenerate another forest. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

csl0823,welcome to the forum. Do what WDH said. Look at other logging jobs too. Logging changes the way the woods look. Even a real nice job does. 10 acres is kinda on the small size. But depends what is on it too. May have to wait for a logger that is close by. The keywords are,take your time,research,as you are doing here. It's YOUR land,have it cut the way YOU want. Be it for wildlife,or a place for a house,camp.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thenorthman

Hello, I'm not far from ya, out of Granite Falls...

Anyway, contact WA DNR, have a state forester come out and take a look, If its a fairly steep hillside you could have some trouble finding someone to log it, with only 10 acres, however they should be able to shovel log it, unless like I said its really steep, then they would want a yarder, and that means road building etc.

There are also several forestry outfits out of Everett, I've never worked with them personally but they've been around for a number of years, and mostly work with the big timber companies.

lastly contact Formark (check yer yellow pages under log broker) They will send a buyer out and give you a good idea as to what you have and who can log it.

The last option is to shamelessly promote myself, while not a forester, just a logger...
well that didn't work

gspren

Remember that there are 2 basic types of Foresters, those that work for a lumber co. and independent Foresters. The Foresters that work for a lumber Co are trying to get the best deal for their Co while the independent Foresters try to please the land owner. Ask around to find an independent Forester that has brokered deals in your area and talk to the land owners they worked for. Every forester and logger will tell you they will do what you want but get some recommendations from land owners with experience. Good luck!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

treeslayer2003

Quote from: gspren on June 03, 2014, 11:15:06 AM
  Remember that there are 2 basic types of Foresters, those that work for a lumber co. and independent Foresters. The Foresters that work for a lumber Co are trying to get the best deal for their Co while the independent Foresters try to please the land owner. Ask around to find an independent Forester that has brokered deals in your area and talk to the land owners they worked for. Every forester and logger will tell you they will do what you want but get some recommendations from land owners with experience. Good luck!
no sir, you forgot the state and county folks...........they are the ones to trust and they don't hand you a bill.
oh, and i bet mr. northman would take a look for you if he is close by........it don't hurt to get lots of oppinions. ;)

Onthesauk

Tyrrell Forestry out of Sultan can do cruising, appraisal or sale design for you.  Scott Tyrrell, 360-793-3902.  Close to you, reasonably price, has a good reputation in our area by the loggers.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

luvmexfood

thenorthman. Don't think anything wrong with you providing your information that you might be interested. You provided names of people he could contact to get advice and then stated you might be interested. If you had got on here and badmouthed everyone local then promoted yourself that would be different.

I think your post showed character.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: luvmexfood on June 04, 2014, 05:48:41 PM
thenorthman. Don't think anything wrong with you providing your information that you might be interested. You provided names of people he could contact to get advice and then stated you might be interested. If you had got on here and badmouthed everyone local then promoted yourself that would be different.

I think your post showed character.
I agree

thenorthman

Um thanks... :-[

Just would like to here back from the OP.  See if any of this helps.
well that didn't work

csl0823

Hey guys,

What an awesome community!
Sorry for the late response, I figured I would be notified via email but wasn't.

My parcel number is: 202612-9002-01 if any of you are interested in taking a look online.
Before finding Forestry Forum, I contacted a man from Land and Timber Services Inc.
Do any of you have experience with that company or Marc Kalkoske?

Anyway, with the information, recommendations, and suggestions that I now have, I will do some research and talk with the WA DNR and get back shortly.

Thanks for all your help and maybe I'll be able to work with some of you! expect a call  :)

- Conrad

csl0823

Quote from: thenorthman on June 04, 2014, 09:30:59 PM
Um thanks... :-[

Just would like to here back from the OP.  See if any of this helps.

sorry for the delay!

thenorthman

Quote from: csl0823 on June 06, 2014, 05:23:34 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry for the late response, I figured I would be notified via email but wasn't.

My parcel number is: 202612-9002-01 if any of you are interested in taking a look online.
Before finding Forestry Forum, I contacted a man from Land and Timber Services Inc.

Anyway, with the information, recommendations, and suggestions that I now have, I will do some research and talk with the WA DNR and get back shortly.

Thanks for all your help and maybe I'll be able to work with some of you! expect a call  :)

- Conrad

The name sounds familiar... out of stanwood? if not I've probably yacked at him on the phone.

Tried seaching yer parcell # but came back as a bad knumber? (ps the king county site is horrible)
well that didn't work

csl0823

Quote from: thenorthman on June 07, 2014, 12:25:30 AM
Quote from: csl0823 on June 06, 2014, 05:23:34 PM
Hey guys,

- Conrad

The name sounds familiar... out of stanwood? if not I've probably yacked at him on the phone.

Tried seaching yer parcell # but came back as a bad knumber? (ps the king county site is horrible)

Try searching without the last two numbers.
Like this: 202612-9002    that brought results up for me.

I believe he is, haven't gotten back to him yet though. He wants a consulting fee.

thenorthman

The aerial veiw, looks like its very rocky, steep, sparsely timbered, and hard to get too?  These county maps can be misleading though.

Without boots on the ground, and a real view of what the timber looks like.  All I can say is you will probably have trouble getting anyone to log it, unless there is access, if they have to build a road to get there, then you can be pretty sure no one will want the job.

Also it appears they will need a yarder (once again not a good view), there are some outfits set up for this kind of deal, I'm not one of em, but they will still need a landing, and with all them big rocks, it makes it pretty difficult to build anything.  Not impossible, just adds to the cost of the job.

Now if you can talk yer neighbors into logging their pieces and maybe get enough to make up for all the road building then you may have a working plan, Don't count on it though, most of the folks that own timber land in that area, own it to keep it out of the hands of us dirty loggers!
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!