The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money! sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

 KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades


Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products


iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: A Vehicularly Oriented Question  (Read 1296 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline williamgriffin

  • member
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Age: 25
  • Location: Hinds County, MS
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
A Vehicularly Oriented Question
« on: May 26, 2016, 12:19:37 AM »
First - thanks for all the responses to my "carrying a gun in the woods" question - a lot of helpful insight there 8)! Secondly, I have another "newbie" question...

I have always heard about how the bigger companies out there will almost always provide a truck for their foresters in the field, but I have never heard it from the horses mouth, as it were.

I drive a truck right now, but could potentially upgrade to a newer, smaller, much more fuel efficient vehicle in about 6 months or so. Is it worth it? Will I be sorry if I do it? I have fewer and fewer needs for a truck the more I am having to buckle down in school and it feels like it's worth looking into.

Thanks in advance!

Offline sawguy21

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 12131
  • Age: 72
  • Location: Enderby B.C. Canada
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
Re: A Vehicularly Oriented Question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »
If you are using the vehicle as part of your duties then yes they should supply a vehicle or pay you for the use of yours. OTOH, if you only need transportation to and from the office then normally that is your responsibility. Once you move up the totem pole you might get personal use of a truck as a perk but here in Canada that portion is considered a taxable benefit.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline DDW_OR

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 1317
  • Age: 53
  • Location: Columbia Falls, MT
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
Re: A Vehicularly Oriented Question
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:37:30 AM »
williamgriffin, since you are using your vehicle to go to work it "may" be use for mileage on your taxes.
talk to a good CPA. a CPA should be able to answer that question for free.
Multitek 1610EZ, TimberKing 2000 & Talon Sharpener,
"let the machines do the work"

Offline Chuck White

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 12844
  • Age: 72
  • Location: Russell, NY (Way Upstate)
  • Gender: Male
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
Re: A Vehicularly Oriented Question
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:06:57 AM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, WilliamGriffin.
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline RPF2509

  • Full Member x2
  • ***
  • Posts: 234
    • Share Post
Re: A Vehicularly Oriented Question
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 03:51:30 PM »
Yes most companies will provide a truck, some let you take it home others make you park it at the end of the day. Depends on your hiring category OT exempt or non exempt.  As an exempt employee( ie no overtime pay - straight salary) I have enjoyed an employer provided truck but it comes with caveats like midnight fire duty, weekend patrol, unlocking gates at odd hours.  All in all its been a plus for me as the work truck gets the stuffing beat out of it and those off hour forays to the woods are infrequent.  Contract foresters generally provide and maintain their own trucks but can get tax benefits from them.  My work truck is as bare bones as it comes but I don't pay anything for it except a commute allowance (works in my favor).  A personal rig would be better outfitted but I'd be paying for all the gas and maintenance which you would need to account for in the rate you charge.  Unless your current vehicle needs major work I'd keep it.  Nothing puts money in your pockets like no car payments.  If you need to replace it and can afford it go used.  There are tons of trucks and suvs out there that have never seen a gravel road.  Look for stock or lightly modified vehicles as you can't tell sometimes how badly Bubba's treated his rig

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Need advice from computer-oriented types .....

Started by TexasTimbers on General Board

26 Replies
Last post February 27, 2006, 02:34:17 PM
by SwampDonkey
Band selection question (boring question but includes bonus pics!)

Started by Piston on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 05:39:58 PM
by barbender
Question for you surveyors (sorry but it's a touchy question)

Started by SwampDonkey on General Board

32 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 10:55:40 PM
by cheyenne
Skidder question and a question about Clark skidder

Started by ohiowoodchuck on Forestry and Logging

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2016, 09:34:50 AM
by oldseabee

Powered by EzPortal