iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saw-long term storage???

Started by caveman, August 28, 2016, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

We have two saws that we got last winter that have never been run.  One has never been out of the box.  We do not need them right now but want to save them for when we do.  Should we add any lubricant to the cylinder or is whatever Husqvarna does at the factory adequate until we put them into service.  The saws are a 3120xp and a 545.
Thanks for your guidance.
Caveman
Caveman

birdcolonel

I see you're in FL.  You probably want to consider the nearby salt water and the likelihood of salt in the air.  Will they be stored in a climate controlled area - for example with AC and/or humidity control?  Just a couple things to consider.
:
don't gimme no lines and keep your hands to yourself

celliott

I would leave them alone, but if you wanted to, i'm sure a few drops of 2t mix oil down the plug hole wouldn't hurt. Pull over real slow with the plug out to coat everything nicely.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Bandmill Bandit

If they have never been run just let them sit as they are.  The factory protectant is the best you can have. ANY other lubricant will compromise it. That stuff is designed to stay put until heat AND gas are introduced. It will go nowhere until that event takes place.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

caveman

Thanks, BandmillBandit.  That is what I was hoping for. 
BirdColonel, I am in central Florida.  There is not a lot of salty air here, just hot, humid air. 

The saws are not in AC.  The 545 is still in the box which is in my garage and the 3120xp was getting dusty and a few spider webs so it went into a pillow case in my shop today. We bought the 3120 for a good price (reputable source-not hot).  Initially, we wanted a saw to make big slabs.  Lately, we have not had a lot of demand for super wide slabs.
Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!