iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You want What??

Started by Magicman, June 02, 2020, 02:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

True.  A lady called and wanted me to saw enough 55' 2X8's for her husband to build a shop.  She put it on my answering machine so surely I misunderstood so I replayed it several times  before I called her back.  Nope, I did not misunderstand and yup, that is what she wanted.  :o  I am the Magicman but I ain't a Magician nor can I perform Miracles.

I first asked her where she was going to get the 55' trees and how was she going to haul them?  ::)  By now she was beginning to see the light and starting to realize how far out her request was.  I finally told her that she needed to kick her husband with the same leg that he was trying to pull.  We had a good laugh before the conversation was over.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

:D Yep a man gets some oddball requests when dealing with the public. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

GAB

Lynn:
The last time I had a request for longer than the mill material I told the potential customer that I would gladly give them the number to W-M and supply them with the model number of my mill so they could order the bed extensions needed to do the job.  That I would attach them to the mill and when the job was completes I would separate the mill from them and they were theirs to do whatever they desired.  They also had to have machinery and manpower enough to handle the raw and finished material.
I didn't say no and I haven't heard back from them.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Walnut Beast

Getter done ✅ No problem 😳😂👍

offrink

I'll do it on a chainsaw mill and I'll go to them... for a price. 

John S

Dave, my eyes have trouble following the drive chain on your set up.  Can you describe how that works (and how heavy the chain is)?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

scsmith42

Well these are 43'.  Let me get my board stretcher out.... :D

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: John S on June 02, 2020, 06:59:04 PM
Dave, my eyes have trouble following the drive chain on your set up.  Can you describe how that works (and how heavy the chain is)?
It's the standard LT setup, #40, I believe. It does sag a bit more than usual that setup is good for 57'.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Durf700

Don P

Man, that tail end must really swing wide in corners.

Brucer

Quote from: John S on June 02, 2020, 06:59:04 PM
Dave, my eyes have trouble following the drive chain on your set up.

The photo's deceptive. Look really carefully and you'll see the chain drooping down just past the contact strip. The horizontal line on the original mill is probably caused by the chain knocking against the side of the mill (from before Dave added the extension). My mill has a similar line.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Since I am 100% portable, I would need a tag axle and hinges in the middle. Yeah, and then the DOT.  ::)

On second thought, it was much simpler to "just say no".  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 02, 2020, 08:52:38 PM
Well these are 43'.  Let me get my board stretcher out.... :D

Where oh where did you acquire a board stretcher?
Mine has been on back order for years!
I'd like the part number, company name, and number to call.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Google "skyhook", the same people sell them.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Sixacresand

Reminds me of the time I jumped through hoops to get some 20 foot logs for an order, cut one by fours and two by fours.  Guy calls and ask if I could cut them in half to fit in his pickup.  I didn't and I cut him some 10 footers.  In the end, he never showed up to pick them up. Another reason I don't flat stack lumber for intended immediate pick up.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Percy

Had a guy who wanted a absolute clear vertical grain 4x24 that was 30 feet long..... :o :o
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

dgdrls

The FF and its members always continue to amaze me with their knowledge, abilities and wisdom,
This thread reminded me of the Hull Oakes mill in Oregon
Hull Oakes Steam Sawmill 2013 on Vimeo

D

Iwawoodwork

I  have been to the Hull Oaks mill several times, great experience. There is a park on the road into the mill that had one of the long slabs from Hull Oaks mounted as a table top, very impressive.
If ever in the Monroe, Oregon area it is worth taking the mill tour.

scsmith42

Quote from: Don P on June 02, 2020, 10:24:44 PM
Man, that tail end must really swing wide in corners.
It did.  17' swing behind the back axle.  I delivered the material to Falls Church, VA; in order to prevent traffic problems I left at midnight an arrived at the jobsite at 05:30.
Had to put a lot more lumber on the front of the trailer in order to make the tongue weight work  out.  That's not a trip that I wish to repeat any time soon!

scsmith42

Quote from: GAB on June 03, 2020, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: scsmith42 on June 02, 2020, 08:52:38 PM
Well these are 43'.  Let me get my board stretcher out.... :D

Where oh where did you acquire a board stretcher?
Mine has been on back order for years!
I'd like the part number, company name, and number to call.
GAB
Sorry, that's restricted information.  I could tell you, but then I'd have to.... (well, you know the rest!)

WDH

Had a call yesterday for a 1" red oak board 19" wide and 30' long to cover a beam :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on June 03, 2020, 09:07:50 PM
Had a call yesterday for a 1" red oak board 19" wide and 30' long to cover a beam :).
You mean like this one?

Well, to be fair it was only 16" wide, but 44' long.

ellmoe

Quote from: WDH on June 03, 2020, 09:07:50 PM
Had a call yesterday for a 1" red oak board 19" wide and 30' long to cover a beam :).  
You forgot to add, "clear". I just had a request for cypress pergola material , 12' X 12 X 18' and smaller , all must be kiln dried. Oh yeah , needs the material next week. ;D

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

You better get hoppin'. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

I suspect he expects a discount too given that he is "volume buying".... ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Reminds me of the client that wanted a log home with no knots. We had to go take a walk outside :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Don P on June 04, 2020, 08:40:37 AM
Reminds me of the client that wanted a log home with no knots. We had to go take a walk outside :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

No knots = no trees = no wood. 

Weekend_Sawyer

Know Knots, Know Trees, Know Wood. ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sealark37

I have seen lumber up to 20' in length hauled away in a hatch-back Pinto, as well as a 34" white oak log, 12 feet long delivered to the mill in a Toyota pickup.  I would not have believed it had I not witnessed it.

Magicman

I will defer any question regarding these Hickory logs to customsawyer.  :P

Propellers anyone??  ::)

I say nothing.  :-X

Thank You Sponsors!